Other 2019: The Year of the Skipped Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Feb 4, 2019.

1. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

I currently have the 8 but I change phones like I change my socks so who knows where I will go next, maybe a XR in black...

2. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Looks like an upgrade year for me. I'm using a 6+ so a 2019 iPhone will be a nice step up.

3. Stuart6, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019

Stuart6 macrumors member

Stuart6

They can upgrade the wifi and cellular speed and reception. In terms of processor, I do not know if the A13 can help with the loading of apps that already load slow like paypal. I upgraded to the Xs from the iphone 7, and paypal literally still loads the same way with no improvement, and the paypal app has undergone many upgrades. I wish apple did some tweaks to the way their processor to fire up faster so that certain apps can load fast. That would be a good internal upgrade. The phone itself could look the same, so their best bet is to make some big changes internally that improves the user experience. A lot of us use standard apps, so I would like to see these apps load faster when you launch it. I hate to say it, but android phones have been loading such apps a lot faster(paypal, twitter, etc..), and I want to see iphones with that much processing power compared to android phones to do better.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I have an 8+ so there is no real need to upgrade this year to be fair. I will upgrade next year although I get the option to in September. I prefer to keep a device at least 2 years.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In today’s world of how efficient these smart phones are, especially with Apples SOC processors, there really is no need to upgrade annually, unless somebody just has the necessary funds to do so and they want the latest device every year. I always upgraded annually, but I finally reached a point where I don’t think it’s necessary for me to do this anymore, I’m more in tune to see what iOS has to offer than I am about the hardware anymore.

6. borntrouble macrumors 6502

borntrouble

I'm definitely in the market for the 2019 iPhones, as I'm sitting tight with my iPhone X right now. I've changed my upgrade cycle from annually to every 2 years, since XS/XSmax release.

7. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

If I still use iOS, I will skip the 2019 iPhones. iOS 13 is really the make/break for me. If it's not what I want, I may just sell my XS Max and get a OnePlus 7T.

8. ant the ninja macrumors 6502

ant the ninja

I generally always upgrade every year. However if these rumors of losing force touch are true, I will keep my XS for as long as I can.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you want and can afford a new phone each year, get one. If not, get one when you feel you need one. Nothing complicated about that scenario.

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I had the same problems as you with the iPhone OLED. I took a chance on the Pixel 3XL and its OLED display has been wonderful. So Apple's patented proprietary power management specs might have something to do with the effects we endured. I'm hesitant to give Apple any money as long as they're putting out their most cutting edge models with displays that give quite a few people headaches and eye strain.

So, despite it being an LCD option, I don't think I'll be upgrading my Xr. I'm in the process of moving to an Android as my main phone so that's where I am currently wanting to put my upgrade funds.

Xr is fine as it is. The camera is excellent. The phone part of its functions works well. I got the Xr for a good price after trading in an extra 8 Plus I had.

My big complaint is how heavy the Xr is. It's a hand cramper sometimes. I may hold out for a physical redesign that lightens up the chassis a bit and gets rid of the notch and the overly protruberant camera oval. I hope they keep the bright cheerful colors, though.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s what the rumors said last year that it would not include 3D Touch for the 2018 iPhone XS, and it still did. If anything, if they decide to delete 3D Touch, I could see them utilizing the software version as it does with the XR with Haptic touch.

12. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

I have been upgrading every year, but I'm very happy with my XS and am thinking I'll probably keep it for another year. I'll just have to stay off MacRumors when the new one is announced and all the hype starts. It gets me into trouble every year.

13. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

I'll skip all the notch, hole-punched, etc phones until they come up with something better.

14. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

As ridiculous as that is, credit to you for not upgrading during the iPhone’s era of price rorts.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Just curious, what are you considering that would be ‘better’? In terms of design or biometric security for the consumer?

16. minimo3 macrumors 6502

In the good old days when iPhones were $199 subsidized I upgraded every 2 years, ever since they charged full price I upgrade.... wait I haven’t upgraded since. My 6s works just fine.

I really don’t understand why everyone wanted the carriers to drop the subsidies. Back then you could get an ATT unlimited plan for $70 with a subsidized iPhone. Now you pay $75 for unlimited PLUS pay full price for your phone. I understand some of you did not want to be under a contract but some of us were fine sticking with a carrier for 24 months in exchange for a $450 subsidy on our device. You spoiled it for us.

17. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Well I can’t imagine anything that would make me use an Android phone - just too invested in my Apple ecosystem, and, overall, I love it that way. I can’t stand my husband’s android.

I’ll admit though, I’m a bit set in my ways when it comes to stuff like this. I fought going to Macs for years, and when I finally did, I was all in! Now I’d never go back. Of course I’m at a point now where I rarely use a Mac (I gave mine up and went all in on iPP a couple years ago), but I use a Windows computer at work, and I would like to throw it through a window every time I’m there.

Coming from an 8+, I’ve had zero issues with the weight of my XR. I absolutely love the phone.

18. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I have had every iPhone since the first one. I currently have an Xs Max and am very happy with it. In fact I am so happy with it.... I might not upgrade this year! That is saying allot.......

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You were paying more than $199 for the phone, you just didn't know it at the time.

20. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

You could skip upgrade every year until your phone is falling apart, but nobody rules out the emotion of wanting a new phone like that unless they really can't afford to upgrade. I could say I didn't need to upgrade from my 7 Plus to XR, I liked to have something fresh again. It will most likely still feel fresh after this year's update.

21. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

I'm fine with LG V30 or Note 9 designs for example.

22. TheLocNar macrumors member

TheLocNar

I skipped 2018. Will have to see what they have to offer in September. I really love the X. It’s perfect.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Are you still considering the Galaxy S10? I believe you use android and iOS, correct?

24. nordique macrumors 65816

I think if there was a year to skip, it would have been 2018

jmo

You make a very good point though

25. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I like both IOS and Android :) I have the Pixel 3 XL and will get the S10 Plus. But my daily driver is my Xs Max :)