Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While it was previously reported that all 2020 iPad Pro models feature the same Apple-designed U1 chip as the iPhone 11 lineup, enabling Ultra Wideband support, we have compiled evidence to suggest that this may not be the case.

ipadprobox.jpg

As a reminder, Apple's tech specs for the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro list an Ultra Wideband chip for spatial awareness, but the chip is not mentioned in Apple's tech specs for the new iPad Pro. Apple also did not mention the new iPad Pro featuring the U1 chip in its press release or in any other marketing materials for the device.

Beyond that, the directional AirDrop feature that the U1 chip enables on iPhone 11 models is not present on the new iPad Pro running iPadOS 13.4, nor is the Ultra Wideband toggle switch that Apple added to iPhones in iOS 13.3.1.

While all of this could suggest that Apple has simply disabled the U1 chip in the new iPad Pro until it becomes more useful, such as when Apple releases its rumored AirTags item tracking tags, more evidence suggests otherwise.

Earlier this week, the teardown experts at iFixit informed us that they had yet to find physical evidence of the U1 chip in the new iPad Pro. However, iFixit did note that it had yet to remove RF shielding from the logic board to confirm this.

The biggest clue of all is that FCC filings for all iPhone 11 models list operating frequencies in the 6GHz range and the 7-8GHz range, and the rules for these frequencies points to "Subpart F -- Ultra-Wideband Operation." TechInsights last year reported that the U1 chip in iPhone 11 models transmits on two different frequencies, 6.24GHz and 8.23GHz.

By comparison, FCC filings indicate that all 2020 iPad Pro models operate within a max frequency range of 5GHz for Wi-Fi.

All of this presents a pretty solid case that the new iPad Pro might not have a U1 chip after all, but we have yet to confirm this without a doubt. When published, iFixit's full teardown of the new iPad Pro should provide a definitive answer.

Update: iFixit has finished removing the RF shielding from the new iPad Pro's logic board and has informed MacRumors that, to its best knowledge, it still does not see any sign of the U1 chip. iFixit also says there are no extra Ultra Wideband antennas or cutouts in the iPad Pro's casing that would be required for the U1 chip.

Article Link: 2020 iPad Pro May Not Have a U1 Ultra Wideband Chip After All

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I do, I thought it was one of the most interesting announcement in the iPhone 11 series.

My guess is the application Apple has in their mind does not fit the iPad usage pattern.
OK, why do you care about it?

I can see it has some potential, but its utility at this time and in the near future seems rather limited.

They are saving it for the premium 15 inch iPad Pro later this year with the A13X chip.
I suspect A13X doesn't even exist.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I can see it has some potential, but its utility at this time and in the near future seems rather limited.

Isn't that sentence contradicting in itself? Or you mean its potential is in the far future?

U1 / UWB fixes something that bluetooth and WiFi failed, or may be an accurate way to put it would be not designed in mind in the first place. UWB allows Super low Latency / Accurate location down to 5-10cm. Indoor Mapping ( Apple has intense interest in it ), both are exciting for Retail, part of CarKey, HomeKit, Apple Payment usage. These are all previously tested usage with ibeacon.

Of course these are potential, just like 3D Touch is a great idea on paper, but didn't turn out well for most people. UWB might be the same, we will have to test it out with some real world usage data.

Reactions: EugW

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
They are saving it for the premium 15 inch iPad Pro later this year with the A13X chip.
I believe you mean iPad Pro Max Plus 15"
[automerge]1585816251[/automerge]
Maybe AirTag joined AirPower in tech heaven and Apple no longer has a use case for the chip.
I'm honestly starting to think that as well. There must be serious issues with the tech as it was originally rumored to release alongside the iPhone 11 series in Fall 2019.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
hahahaha, Strange article.

1) "the chip is not mentioned in Apple's tech specs for the new iPad Pro"
2). "we have compiled evidence to suggest that"... there may not be a U1 chip present

Wow, you guys are good! and all this time, I thought that even though Apple says there is not, that tit might be there. Hahahahaha. Can't stop laughing

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Not trying to bummer you out but thats not happening for at least 3-4 years.
That’s ok... they probably are only demanding well over double the current (sufficient) amount of RAM so in their mind Facebook & Candy Crush run “smoother”. ?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Not sure why you need a wonky LiDAR Scanner on the one camera nobody uses either but here we are

That unsureness I think that has to do with not understanding the potential of AR and Apple's investment into that area. The potential is huge, and the LiDAR Scanner is another piece of technology needed to get there.

Reactions: bobob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.