Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week introduced new iPad Pro models with an similar performing A12Z Bionic chip, an Ultra Wide camera for 0.5x zoom, and a LiDAR Scanner for enhanced augmented reality. The new iPad Pro models will begin arriving to customers and go on sale at select stores starting tomorrow, and ahead of time, the first unboxing videos have surfaced.

The new iPad Pro models will be compatible with Apple's new Magic Keyboard with a built-in trackpad, set to be released in May. Apple did not provide reviewers with a Magic Keyboard at this time, but with trackpad support arriving in iPadOS 13.4, which will be released later today, mostly any Bluetooth trackpad or mouse can be used with the new iPad Pro.

For detailed reviews of the new iPad Pro, read our review roundup.

Article Link: 2020 iPad Pro Unboxing Videos and First Impressions

Last edited:

macfan90

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2014
Oh let’s release a new iPad but leave out the main accessory. Apple loves to space items months apart vs launching together. Why buy an iPad now when third party items will either eat up apples keyboard business or just flat out suck

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
The only substantial difference from the 2018 iPP is the ONE component NOBODY uses: the camera. And the one thing everyone wanted to try, the keyboard, is not ready to ship yet.

Great job, Tim Apple. Don't mind us "haters" moaning Apple is moving along at the pace of a self righteous complacent hippo. The share is ultra high thanks to the buybacks anyway.

macfan90

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2014
Very true. Anyone who uses an iPad as their daily camera or when traveling, we’ve all seen them, is silly. Apple is not the Apple from the days of Steve Jobs and Macworld. Heck, you knew yearly updates of macs came, and now so often 2 years or more occur. imac is routinely ignored.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Buyers, BE AWARE!! This is a 3rd Gen iPad situation all over again.

View attachment 900917

While I agree, if you need a new iPad today it is still a good buy: Wifi 6, 128gb base, and 6gb RAM. It is not like this iPad isn't going to work 4 years from now.
[automerge]1585054363[/automerge]
The only substantial difference from the 2018 iPP is the ONE component NOBODY uses: the camera. And the one thing everyone wanted to try, the keyboard, is not ready to ship yet.

Great job, Tim Apple. Don't mind us "haters" moaning Apple is moving along at the pace of a self righteous complacent hippo. The share is ultra high thanks to the buybacks anyway.

It is almost like people are only looking at the chip and not the other improvements =/

macfan90

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2014
Why doesn’t Apple ever make enough items for launch so users who don’t order in the first 30 minutes don’t have to wait 2-4 weeks for a delivery. I’m not a fan of preordering, having money gone and waiting. If I give money, I want my item by tomorrow.

• Disagree
Reactions: SkimPappa

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I give money, I want my item by tomorrow.
Apple won't charge the card until its ready to be shipped and/or it just shipped so technically that's what happens when you pre-order.

Why doesn’t Apple ever make enough items for launch
I suspect this time its due to constrained supply chain issues related to the Coronavirus.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Jon Prosser on Twitter says to expect a 5G 12.9 Pro in the fall with A14X chip, assuming there's no delays due to coronavirus. That's when I will upgrade my 2018 12.9 Pro.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
This is a stop gap iPad before the real deal with Micro LED launches in October. Don’t fall into the trap of buying one.

Reactions: ouimetnick

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Buyers, BE AWARE!! This is a 3rd Gen iPad situation all over again.

As a former owner of the iPad3, this isn’t the same situation. The iPad 3 was way underpowered to handle the Retina display. There is nothing underpowered about this model. Even if the speed difference is minimal to the previous generation, the 2018 model still hasn’t even been pushed yet with the available apps. Although I do agree that if Apple has a better iPad coming this year they should’ve waited. Let’s not gimp a pro model, please no “ premium pro” to siphon more cash.

DerDoJo

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Very true. Anyone who uses an iPad as their daily camera or when traveling, we’ve all seen them, is silly. Apple is not the Apple from the days of Steve Jobs and Macworld. Heck, you knew yearly updates of macs came, and now so often 2 years or more occur. imac is routinely ignored.
We are talking about the iPad Pro...as dar as our Business concerns the iPad Camera gets used daily...multiple times. All of our technicians has an iPad for Invoicing and documentation. They are ordered to make photos of their work Progress, which gets uploaded with the LTE-Module. So we have proof that everything was done right if a Customer complains about the quality of work.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Slowly showing us another reason why updated products are not worth the upgrade....

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

It appears that you know little about the camera, a depth-sensing 3D camera that can assess one's local environment, and/or one's self, and how that will open up a ton of applications in an area Apple has been investing heavily over the last few years, AR.

You also might not be aware that before these applications can bear fruit, that type of special camera needs to be part of a device people can use and hold in their hands. No camera, no apps.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
This is SOOOO the iPad 3 all over again. Hell , at least the iPad 3 brought a massive screen improvement. All this new Pro offers is a tiny graphics processor bump and a useless LIDAR scanner. Why do I say useless? It's been 2 years of Apple saying "AR is the future". Ok.....show us, besides a measuring app. They didn't even use the LIDAR to allow the iPad to do some crazy new Portrait Photography Voodoo which would have been a sweet selling point.

Sorry I just don't see anyone holding an iPad or iPhone in the air for more than 30 seconds without their arms wanting to fall off for all this "amazing future AR" stuff.

My guess is that due to the current Coronapocalypse they couldn't do the A13X but already were too far along in the release so they just essentially overclocked the A12X and called it the A12Z. This is literally the most lackluster iPad upgrade Apple has ever released...and I've owned them all....except the iPad 3 which now gets promoted to SECOND worst iPad release.

At least this saves us 2018 iPad Pro owners a few bucks !

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
This is SOOOO the iPad 3 all over again. Hell , at least the iPad 3 brought a massive screen improvement. All this new Pro offers is a tiny graphics processor bump and a useless LIDAR scanner. Why do I say useless? It's been 2 years of Apple saying "AR is the future". Ok.....show us, besides a measuring app. They didn't even use the LIDAR to allow the iPad to do some crazy new Portrait Photography Voodoo which would have been a sweet selling point.

Apple and other companies have. A real depth-sensing camera will take it to the next level.

Here's a tiny clue. The potential is enormous. There are areas where AR is routinely used today.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
People do anything to speak ill of Apple. So if the iPP 2020 (autumn edition) "only" get a new processor upgrade and 5G in the autumn, you have a new chance to complain! Hurray! Exactly what is required for a passable upgrade in your opinion? Please no dreams about not existing technologies.

If I would had an A12X iPad (I have an A9X), I would not replace it with A12Z and not even to A14X iPad. In my opinion, that is a waste of money.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I have a 2018 iPP 12.9 and eagerly pre-ordered the 2020. Should be here by Friday.

IMHO, this is nothing like the iPad 3. The 2018 iPP was/is a beast. Best iPad I’ve ever owned and it’s my primary computing device. The 2020 brings a faster processor, WiFi 6, improved LTE, LiDAR, and wide camera. Awesome.

Time to list my 2018, haha!!

When the iPP with mini-LED comes out, I’ll buy one of those. Then list my 2020. Rinse and repeat, haha!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.