Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
i think the programming goes both ways - you can tell the appleTV to learn particular IR codes from a different remote, mapping buttons on the other remote to the siri remote buttons - back button, navigation buttons, etc. so then you can use your universal remote (for instance) to control the appleTV instead of the siri remote.

b4omega269

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
I went through a few pages of comments but didn’t see this answer so thought I’d provide it if it isn’t here already. You can use regular ARC for pass through audio to your HomePods. It does not require eARC though it might for Atmos but I’m not sure.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I went through a few pages of comments but didn’t see this answer so thought I’d provide it if it isn’t here already. You can use regular ARC for pass through audio to your HomePods.
Absolutely correct. The "eARC" support is a bit confusing. The AppleTV supports eARC which enables ARC for pass through, even on non eARC TVs

PS8409

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
I have a Samsung 2019 QLED 4k TV. I compared it with a regular Samsung 4k tv I have. My New 2021 Apple TV played Youtube 60fps content and I compared it to my 2017 Apple TV on the other Samsung TV. I SAW NO VISUAL DIFFERENCE. I also did a comparison with my iCloud photo library which has many 4k 60fps HDR videos I’ve been recording since I got my iPhone 12 Pro Max. NO VISUAL DIFFERENCE between the old and new Apple TV. I even changed my Auto Motion Plus on and off several times. No difference. I THINK THE 60FPS IS A LIE OR A FALSE ADVERTISING. THIS DOES NOT APPEAR TO PLAY ACTUAL 60FPS ANYTHING.
Soooooo my bad I needed to upgrade my HDMI cable. Forget all things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.