Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrogHat1

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020

Apple in April unveiled a new version of the 4K Apple TV, but on the surface, it's hard to tell it apart from its predecessor because it looks the same as the 2017 model. There are, however, a few internal changes, but are those changes worth upgrading for? That's what we're aiming to find out in our Apple TV 4K hands-on video.

Compared to the original Apple TV 4K, there are no design changes to the second-generation Apple TV 4K with one peripheral exception -- the Siri Remote. The Siri Remote has been overhauled with a new clickpad and updated buttons that make it more intuitive to use.

There's a dedicated power button for the first time, along with a mute button, and the Siri button has been moved to the side. There's no touchpad anymore, and the clickpad that replaces it is easier to use, making it simple to scrub through content with a swipe around the wheel. It's also much thicker and heftier, and Apple believes this will make it harder to lose.

Without a doubt, the Siri Remote is a major upgrade that's worth it, but you don't need a whole new Apple TV just for the remote -- Apple is selling it on a standalone basis for $60. That's pricey, but if you're fed up with the current remote and want something better, it's worth considering.

As for the rest of the Apple TV, upgrades include support for high frame rate 4K HDR and Dolby Vision content, which is useful for sports and other fast-paced action. There's not a lot of support right now, but you can check it out on YouTube or on videos recorded with the iPhone.

The Apple TV does have HDMI 2.1, but it doesn't have 120Hz frame rate support, so it's not a reason to upgrade. What is new, however, is eARC support, a feature that lets all TV audio be routed through HomePods. With eARC, audio from game consoles, cable boxes, and other peripherals can be routed through the HomePod when you have a compatible TV.

There's an upgraded A12 Bionic chip in the second-generation Apple TV 4K, which is a good deal faster than the A10X Fusion chip that was in the prior model, but unless you're playing a system-intensive game on the Apple TV, you're probably not really going to notice the upgrade.

If you have a 2017 Apple TV 4K, there's generally no reason to upgrade at this time unless one of the included features is particularly appealing to you. If you have an Apple TV HD or are considering an Apple TV purchase for the first time, the new 2021 model makes much more sense and is worth the $179 purchase price.

Article Link: 2021 Apple TV 4K vs. 2017 Apple TV 4K: Is It Worth Upgrading?

I also bought because of the WIFI chip is AX. I was getting about 380-420 WIFI speed, now I am getting about 600-630 MB WIFI from my 800 MB Cable Modem speed. The Ethernet port i think was upgraded from 100 MB to 1 GB.

It makes connecting to streaming TV service and launching NetFlix, HBO Max apps faster and since WIFI is faster the shows start much faster.

FrogHat1

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2020
I sold my old Apple TV 4K 32GB (used) for $110, and got the new model for $170 from Costco.

Other improvements:
  • Apps launch noticeably faster, as well as many other operations.
  • Thread router.
  • Dolby Vision no longer has raised black issue. That is, black bars are completely black.
  • 60 frames per second 4K with YouTube. HDR is currently janky, but it's probably going to be fixed in the future.
  • HDR High Frame Rate, which not something I really care about, is still worth noting.
And it's probably more future proof, such as the presence of eARC HomePods audio routing. I am hoping future tvOS will unlock HDMI 2.1 features such as QMS, which would significantly reduce the blank/no signal screen when switching frame rates.

(I posted the following in a new thread as well)

I also bought because of the WIFI chip is AX. I was getting about 380-420 WIFI speed, now I am getting about 600-630 MB WIFI from my 800 MB Cable Modem speed. The Ethernet port i think was upgraded from 100 MB to 1 GB.

It makes connecting to streaming TV service and launching NetFlix, HBO Max apps faster and since WIFI is faster the shows start much faster.

Reactions: GregoriusM

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I have the 2015 Apple TV HD (A1625), and I’ve always found that it struggles to stream from the iPhone or iPad, especially video. I used to think it was my network but I recently upgraded the WIFI and it still struggles. Does anyone know if upgrading would help with streaming from another device?
I have this question too. I am generally happy with it, but it does feel sluggish loading some apps. I've been holding off upgrading to the 4K one because my projector is 1080p and I didn't see much benefit. But maybe it's time.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
I needed a new one for months so I could put my old 4k one in the living room, it has the small puck Apple TV in there, the really old one with no app store lol. eARC support is awesome.

Phoenix1000

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Europe
I want a new one just for Wi-Fi 6 in hopes that it improves my Steam Link experience.
I bought the new one for the same reason, although I use it via the 1 GBit/s Ethernet port. Despite the missing improvement resulting from a 10 GbE connection, there is a noticeable performance upgrade when streaming self-created movies from my NAS. I assume, this is a result of the faster CPU. So I'm happy with the new device, although I badly miss the 10 GbE ethernet port. The new remote is a really big step forward.

Phoenix1000

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Europe
I have the 2015 Apple TV HD (A1625), and I’ve always found that it struggles to stream from the iPhone or iPad, especially video. I used to think it was my network but I recently upgraded the WIFI and it still struggles. Does anyone know if upgrading would help with streaming from another device?
I have the 4k 2017 ATV and stream my own created movies from my NAS via ethernet. With VLC I could stream ProRes Proxy 4-2-0 movies running smoothly, but the device was on the edge of it's capabilities. The same movies streamed on the new one still via ethernet run noticeably smoother - although the final credits still jitter a little bit.
In your case, I would guess you would see bigger improvements if your iPhone and iPad are newer and support WiFi6. In my case, I still dream of a ATV Pro with A14 - or even M1 CPU - and 10 GbE Ethernet ...

Nozgog

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2019
I am geek, so newer = better. However, in this case it's not always better. The A12 is not faster than A10X. CPUs yes, but the GPU in the A10X is better/faster than the one in the A12. So if you want to play Arcade games on AppleTV, it's not an improvement I would say.

Not sure why you need 120 Hz support. For gaming yes, for content it makes zero sense.

Think the main drive for Apple was to go to an A-series chip more recent and phase out an older design, also saves $$.
120 Hz is also better for content because no more 3:2 pulldown.

24 x 5 = 120

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Will it offer a better experience to watch Youtube, HBO, Netflix? Certainly not:) Probably worth an upgrade for people that just like to buy things even if they do not need them. Mostly common in the USA.
In your effort to slam Americans, you also managed to be wrong. The new ATV supports 60 fps DV playback and fixed a raised black level issue that the previous 4K unit had. So actually it will offer an improved viewing experience.

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2021
I don’t like Android TV because it is slow and that Google collects users’ viewing data. Also, storage is very limited, so I could not install many apps. The UI is not user friendly, and the AirPlay 2 didn’t work when I tried to watch some videos from websites.
Apple TV 4K is far superior to Android TV based smart TV.
And not to mention that most TV manufactures doesn't bother updating apps on Smart TV's after a while, resulting in bugs, errors among other crap. That's why having a set-top box like the Apple TV 4K is superior on apps.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
60 frames per second 4K with YouTube. HDR is currently janky, but it's probably going to be fixed in the future.

does it seem to you that the youtube app on the gen 2 4k ATV is different than the gen 1 4k app? i suppose my installing the new ATV might have coincidentally overlapped with a major release of the youtube app but that seems unlikely somehow...

Phoenix1000

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
Europe

Nope, ATV 4K first generation already had a 1 GB Ethernet port - no improvement here on the new ATV 4K second generation.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
One really glaring error in the new remote is the inability for it to LEARN IR signals for volume control (when controled only by IR). Me and many others in apple and reddit forums have experienced the same issue whereby the new remote appears to 'learn' an IR signal from another remote (like the one that controls a soundbar), but in actuality, it does nothing to control it.

Anyone else experienced this? I bought the remote as a stand alone to replace my old ATV remote. The old remote still controls the volume, the new one doesn't. :-(

mine learned my pioneer volume up/down/mute controls from my harmony keyboard, and the vol up/down/mute buttons on the new siri remote correctly control my receiver.

now if the stupid thing could turn on the whole stack, that would be great. but i guess in the absence of CEC that's not something the appleTV will do?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
For me, the A12 of the newer Apple TV does feel like it launches apps a little faster compared to my 4th gen. Otherwise, I haven't really felt or observed any difference. I suppose the redesigned remote is better to use (in part because it is thicker), but I didn't have an issue with the previous remote either.

GregoriusM

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
does it seem to you that the youtube app on the gen 2 4k ATV is different than the gen 1 4k app? i suppose my installing the new ATV might have coincidentally overlapped with a major release of the youtube app but that seems unlikely somehow...
There was a YouTube app update not long ago, which is what you just might be seeing. Different menu layout and a few other UI changes. Maybe 2 weeks ago at the most. It’s is still a crap app.

Reactions: joeblough

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I am geek, so newer = better. However, in this case it's not always better. The A12 is not faster than A10X. CPUs yes, but the GPU in the A10X is better/faster than the one in the A12. So if you want to play Arcade games on AppleTV, it's not an improvement I would say.

Not sure why you need 120 Hz support. For gaming yes, for content it makes zero sense.

Think the main drive for Apple was to go to an A-series chip more recent and phase out an older design, also saves $$.
Fine with me because I’ve never tried to game once with this thing, nor do I want to. It’s a set top box for playing content, not a replacement for my Xbox or PS4. Apple is clearly aware their experiment in gaming failed as they dropped gyroscope support from the new remote completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.