Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Writing this on a 2018 12.9 which is still lightning fast, with a decent screen and all-day battery (despite daily use). Not even slightly tempted right now. Perhaps iPadOS will change things in the summer but I doubt it. There’s nothing I can find that really tests the 2018 hardware still.
It’s still a good machine, but to be frank - the new 2021 one does piss all over it in every respect. Come the new os and new apps over the coming months and the 2018 may start to feel a little long in the tooth, depending what you do with it.

• Disagree
Reactions: marmiteturkey

SergueiTemp

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Seoul
The only iPad I've ever owned is Mini 2 and it was pretty quality product. Still serves me well, even through I broke the glass twice. Looking at the new iPad Pro my first thought is - why is this cheap-looking thing so expensive? I think they use plastic in the enclosure as well. Also, the Pencil 2nd gen looks as cheap chinese copy if you compare it with Pencil 1st gen. I can't think of any new Apple design, that can be concidered looking "top-notch" in terms of quality. I understand, that they want to move from aluminum design, but can they do it so the product doesn't look like cheap colored nonsense? Fingers crossed they don't ruin Mac Mini design.

Jt69yupper

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bought the 2021 12.9
Returned it for 2020 12.9
2021:

Too heavy - the difference is noticeable

Screen good for movies - bad for reading-blooming and lantern blazing brightness

I thing I will be ok with 6gb since I am not a creative…just use for consumption

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
The only iPad I've ever owned is Mini 2 and it was pretty quality product. Still serves me well, even through I broke the glass twice. Looking at the new iPad Pro my first thought is - why is this cheap-looking thing so expensive? I think they use plastic in the enclosure as well. Also, the Pencil 2nd gen looks as cheap chinese copy if you compare it with Pencil 1st gen. I can't think of any new Apple design, that can be concidered looking "top-notch" in terms of quality. I understand, that they want to move from aluminum design, but can they do it so the product doesn't look like cheap colored nonsense? Fingers crossed they don't ruin Mac Mini design.
Weird take. It’s made from metal - if you actual held one ‘cheap’ would be the last though on your mind. The pencil is usably luxurious when holding it. I’m not sure many can agree with what you’re saying here. Of all the Apple products one can pick fault with looks wise, very few would pick on an iPad pro.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
This "Is it worth upgrading" stuff just needs to stop for now, this is exactly why Apple should have waited until after WWDC to launch this one....I mean we're getting the big payoff for this thing at WWDC.....right?......r-right???

Its not worth upgrading from 2020 or even 2018 iPad pro in the current state of iPadOS...you'd be a fool to say otherwise. After WWDC this is probably going to change...sort of - we'll at least know whats coming, but iPadOS 15 still wont arrive for most until Sept.

Zipski

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
I don't understand why everybody comparing mini led to Oled?. It only has 25 dimming zones while OLED with the same pixel density will have over 5.6 million dimming zones. This is 225 000 more than Ipad has so It is not comparable technologies.
pls stop discussing this.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
This "Is it worth upgrading" stuff just needs to stop for now, this is exactly why Apple should have waited until after WWDC to launch this one....I mean we're getting the big payoff for this thing at WWDC.....right?......r-right???

Its not worth upgrading from 2020 or even 2018 iPad pro in the current state of iPadOS...you'd be a fool to say otherwise. After WWDC this is probably going to change...sort of - we'll at least know whats coming, but iPadOS 15 still wont arrive for most until Sept.
The screen and the added power of the m1 over the previous generations belies you, regardless of then current state of the os.

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
I probably would have kept my 2nd-gen 12.9" iPad Pro (2017) if it weren't for the lingering intermittent touch screen issues I put up with for the last 3 years. No iPadOS software update or custom configs ever fixed it, which made it just unreliable enough that it wasn't fun to use. Now with the 2021 M1 equivalent in hand, it's so nice to have a screen that works 100% of the time again. Now to decide if I should get AppleCare+ for this thing...

Reactions: cmamb

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
I probably would have kept my 2nd-gen 12.9" iPad Pro (2017) if it weren't for the lingering intermittent touch screen issues I put up with for the last 3 years. No iPadOS software update or custom configs ever fixed it, which made it just unreliable enough that it wasn't fun to use. Now with the 2021 M1 equivalent in hand, it's so nice to have a screen that works 100% of the time again. Now to decide if I should get AppleCare+ for this thing...

Sorry, but put another way, “I would’ve kept my (x) brand of car if it wasn’t for the steering going out every once in a while when I was driving, but instead I’m going to just buy the newer version of (x) brand of car.”

?

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
What a very strange analogy.

What’s strange? Just a simple example to of (Thanks again, autocorrect!) not being able to say future proof about everything.

Oh, wait, I think I just got your point. You were talking about the other part.

Well, that wasn’t clear.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
What’s strange? Just a simple example to not being able to say future proof about everything.

Oh, wait, I think I just got your point. You were talking about the other part.

Well, that wasn’t clear.
No- I’m talking about iPads. Not children. iPads get better each year, as does most tech.
You said ‘Isn’t that what you said when you bought the model you already have?’

and I said, that’s the case with anything.

but there comes a point when the tech you bought is useless. So with things that you can’t upgrade after the fact, like an iPad, then, yes you can buy to futureproof.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm coming from an 11" 2020 and evaluating a 12.9 M1. Unless iOS 15 is a real sea change with multi-tasking I don't think the large size is going to be worth keeping, beautiful screen and all. Probably because I use my iPad more as a tablet.

The M1 iPad does feel faster to me, but the feature that really has me thinking of going 11" 2020 to 11" M1 is center stage. It's such a simple feature but man does it improve Facetimes with family.... Especially when you have a 3-year old. I'd probably only have to spend $200-$300 on the upgrade. A lot for a small amount of functionality. Also, given my photo library growth I don't even have a strong reason to stay at the 256GB storage level anymore and can easily fit into a 128GB wit iCloud Photos which makes the upgrade a little easier financially.

Vasilisxd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2018
Of course it doesn’t , the OS itself is so simple and light that even a 2020 iPad (not the Pro) can handle everything just fine. Why you people buying so expensive iPads

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Of course it doesn’t , the OS itself is so simple and light that even a 2020 iPad (not the Pro) can handle everything just fine. Why you people buying so expensive iPads.

If you can’t see over the horizon, does it mean there is nothing there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.