Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
This has been written specifically for @mectojic but will doubtless be useful for anyone trying to make Youtube work on a slow G3.

The 'engine' for this is the excellent PPCMC by @alex_free which is an invaluable Swiss Army Knife of utilities all in one place.

So, @mectojic after downloading PPCMC and placing it in Applications (must be located there) create a folder, Youtube in the Movies folder.
Download the attached archive, open and place Choob into Applications and the 3 scripts into Documents - create shortcuts for all in the Dock (scripts must be in the righthand section of the Dock.)

Choob is a TenFourFoxBox so will require TenFourFox to be already installed.
It's a Youtube browser that's loaded with a vintage Nokia user agent and a modified config file that will not allow Youtube videos to load up - this will save precious CPU cycles (quite a lot in fact - without that mod the browser uses 100% CPU.)

The 3 scripts offer playback at 144P, 240P and 144P without framedropping which is a more pleasant quality.

After searching for your video in Choob, press shift-cmd-u to copy the video url, then click your desired script shortcut in the Dock.

Youtube-dl within PPCMC will then download both the video and audio, then 'splice' these together before opening in ffplay - this is much quicker than converting the files to another format (especially on a G3.)

After playing the video is deleted.

A word of warning - not every video on Youtube will be available in the formats this utility employs, so there may be errors but as you can see in the screenshots, 66% CPU on a 500Mhz G3 iMac for 240P video with high quality m4a audio isn't too shabby!

Picture 1.png

Picture 3.png

Attachments

• Choob.zip
    122 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
@Dronecatcher, you sir are a hero.
As a new member to these forums, I was keeping a low profile and getting frustrated trying to follow all the different procedures on here from years ago. I had suspected they would not work, but I kept trying anyway.

Thanks so much for sharing a working method. It was easy to use and simple. This is on my 466 Mhz iBook Clamshell with 576 mb ram, and I can confirm it will run fullscreen, framerate a little low @240p. I'm determined to do as much as possible on this laptop, and you've just added a ton of functionality.

Here's an example, playing some music on Youtube. Nice and atmospheric! Playing @144p only requires 30% CPU, so I can smoothly do anything else on the laptop.

IMG_0176.JPG

Since you were so helpful, I had a few questions/requests:

1: 360p? I know this is asking for the impossible on a low-end G3, but I feel that 360p is the minimum resolution to make something seriously "watchable" – especially something with text in the video.
2: if your script splices video and audio, could you make a script that just downloads and plays Youtube audio? (Maybe one already exists for that, but since you've got it working so well, may as well add this right?)
3: If I wanted to watch a Youtube or Twitch livestream, how could I do that?
4: my coding skills are non-existent, but here's a question. If I wanted to keep the video rather than let it delete after watching, do I just need to use the same script but remove the line "rm ~/Movies/Youtube..."?
5: Assuming I can keep a video, can I watch it using any other program? I'd ideally want a way to play/pause the video. FFplay can't do that, right?

I admit I ask for a lot here, but I thought I might as well since you guys have years of knowledge about these things, and I'm just a guy who bought this iBook last month :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
1: 360p? I know this is asking for the impossible on a low-end G3, but I feel that 360p is the minimum resolution to make something seriously "watchable" – especially something with text in the video.
2: if your script splices video and audio, could you make a script that just downloads and plays Youtube audio? (Maybe one already exists for that, but since you've got it working so well, may as well add this right?)
4: my coding skills are non-existent, but here's a question. If I wanted to keep the video rather than let it delete after watching, do I just need to use the same script but remove the line "rm ~/Movies/Youtube..."?
5: Assuming I can keep a video, can I watch it using any other program? I'd ideally want a way to play/pause the video. FFplay can't do that, right?
1: That's the first thing I tried and couldn't get a reasonable framerate on my iMac - so assumed your iBook would struggle even more.
2: Yes, I've done this many times before with different methods and versions - I'll do a new version soon.
3: PPCMC7 does that already :)
4: Yes, that's correct - just move the video so it's not overwritten.
5: Yes, FFplay certainly can - again you can use PPCMC7 for that, or one of my MPlayer scripts that are on the forum.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
@Dronecatcher, you sir are a hero.
As a new member to these forums, I was keeping a low profile and getting frustrated trying to follow all the different procedures on here from years ago. I had suspected they would not work, but I kept trying anyway.

Thanks so much for sharing a working method. It was easy to use and simple. This is on my 466 Mhz iBook Clamshell with 576 mb ram, and I can confirm it will run fullscreen, framerate a little low @240p. I'm determined to do as much as possible on this laptop, and you've just added a ton of functionality.

Here's an example, playing some music on Youtube. Nice and atmospheric! Playing @144p only requires 30% CPU, so I can smoothly do anything else on the laptop.

View attachment 1702628

Since you were so helpful, I had a few questions/requests:

I admit I ask for a lot here, but I thought I might as well since you guys have years of knowledge about these things, and I'm just a guy who bought this iBook last month :)

Also, I think 240p is my bare minimum to play videos. I mean, VHS was 240p, it’s not too bad especially on a 12” screen. That’s why I recommend converting videos to 240p MPEG-1.

FFplay can play/pause with the space button, skip through videos with the arrow keys, and many more things (look up the FFplay documentation) but I don’t recommend it on a 300MHz G3. You really need more speed, VLC/Mplayer is gonna be better for just 300MHz.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I can confirm that mViewX and FFplayer work well, with play/pause etc. Choob is great and efficient for finding videos.

I also managed to stream live Youtube videos with PPCMC.

For some reason, when I try to download a video instead of stream, the download speed is quite slow, even @144p. Did I miss some kind of internet speed-up hack for G3 on Tiger?

One more amateur question, I tried adding the "-skip_frame 8 -skip_loop_filter 48" options in the PPCMC Prefs, but it doesn't seem to save the settings; when I go to edit prefs again, what I typed is gone.

Anyway, I can say I'm extremely satisfied with the results. Being able to stream music while working on a word processor should cover a large amount of my needs, were I to do the PPC challenge.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
I can confirm that mViewX and FFplayer work well, with play/pause etc. Choob is great and efficient for finding videos.

I also managed to stream live Youtube videos with PPCMC.

For some reason, when I try to download a video instead of stream, the download speed is quite slow, even @144p. Did I miss some kind of internet speed-up hack for G3 on Tiger?

One more amateur question, I tried adding the "-skip_frame 8 -skip_loop_filter 48" options in the PPCMC Prefs, but it doesn't seem to save the settings; when I go to edit prefs again, what I typed is gone.

Anyway, I can say I'm extremely satisfied with the results. Being able to stream music while working on a word processor should cover a large amount of my needs, were I to do the PPC challenge.
Are you saving the text edit window opened by prefs? CMD+S

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerWilco6502

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks a lot @Dronecatcher !
It's slow but still awesome to see my iMac's G3 could potentially see some YouTube use for my kids whenever i decide to hand them over their first computer in the near future ;)

Thanks. The processing/downloading speed I've found to be highly variable - might be better to download videos (either by altering script or using PPCMC7 directly) and save a collection - you don't want to test your kids patience too much ;)

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Thanks. The processing/downloading speed I've found to be highly variable - might be better to download videos (either by altering script or using PPCMC7 directly) and save a collection - you don't want to test your kids patience too much ;)
One performance improvement you could make is to unzip youtube-dl and call the python main script directly which is how the in development next version of PPCMC 7 works. The next version will also drastically improve download speed on Leopard and somewhat on Tiger.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
One performance improvement you could make is to unzip youtube-dl and call the python main script directly which is how the in development next version of PPCMC 7 works.

I actually thought you'd done that already in PPCMC7 as, despite being slow on a G3, it still executes faster than it did when I did the same routine years ago using youtube-dl independently.

ultrasaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2020
NYC
help! followed instructions... everything seems to work until the very end, i get this error and the terminal closes.

ERROR: YouTube said: Unable to extract video data

on an iBook G3 300mhz running Tiger (Trimcelerated)
Am I missing something here?
2A5568B2-3BDE-4691-B8B0-7DCD582B2762.jpeg

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Why is it always requiring 10.4!? Why isn't anyone willing to do this for Jaguar?! I can't get RAM to my G4 to make 10.4 work. It's stuck with 128MB forever, so I can't even do 10.3 well. There has to be some help for us 10.2 users!

I have tried and failed multiple times to make RAM upgrades work. Have to resort to supposedly 'compatible' modules from Amazon, and twice now it's been wasted money since they all just make it go beep beep beep and no display.

I do have a server doing cetificate authority to make older browsers do HTTPS, by it taking the requests and returning valid legacy certificates to force the older browsers to work, but YouTube still won't cooperate. It loads, but no video displays, just a black box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.