Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well just 51 days until testing starts and it’s a New Year, so thought we should kick off with a new thread.

Hopes for 2024.
Hopefully Max gets challenged.
Mercedes to close the gap on RBR.
McLaren to continue to improve. Will be interesting to see how their two drivers get on if they get a race winning car.
Will Ferrari finally get their stuff together?

What are you looking forward to?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I'm eagerly awaiting yet another year of great racing. I hope Max and RBR will get another title win. It would be nice to see Lando up on the podium a bit more. I hope Mercedes will focus more on themselves opposed to others and just get on with it.

Reactions: Glideslope

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
McLaren and Ferrari getting their acts together...

paint schemes... lol.

I used to enjoy the debuts but now all the cars look almost identical other than the paint schemes so meh.

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Any truth in the rumour the RB20 failed the initial FIA crash testing? It means very little as I am sure they will work it out, but hopefully they are being overly experimental this year and we see a competitive season between teams. I can't yawn through a third season on a row :)

• Wow

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Any truth in the rumour the RB20 failed the initial FIA crash testing? It means very little as I am sure they will work it out, but hopefully they are being overly experimental this year and we see a competitive season between teams. I can't yawn through a third season on a row :)
Same. Another season like last year and I’ll have to reconsider Formula E!

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Any truth in the rumour the RB20 failed the initial FIA crash testing?

Speculation is the nose failed the test, perhaps due to RB trying to reduce the amount of CFRP in the structure to lower the weight of the part. Presuming this is true, they will remediate it through adding back additional structure.

As for 2024, I don't see how Max and RBR will not secure both championships again. The RB19 came out of the gate effectively "perfect" so they were able to use almost all of their development time to focus on the RB20 while their competition had to develop their 2023 cars first and then start work on their 2024 cars. We also do not have the rule changes that the FIA and F1 implemented in 2003 and 2021 to hobble the Ferrari and Mercedes, respectively, after their dominant 2002 and 2020 seasons, which allowed the other teams to close the gap that year.

My main hope for 2024 is that three to four other teams / drivers can at least mix it up race to race so we seem some variety at the top of the podium.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
LAUNCH DATES

WilliamsFebruary 5New York
SauberFebruary 5London
Aston MartinFebruary 12Silverstone
FerrariFebruary 13TBC
Red BullTBCTBC
MercedesTBCTBC
McLarenTBCTBC
AlpineTBCTBC
AlphaTauriTBCTBC
HaasTBCTBC

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Well just 51 days until testing starts and it’s a New Year, so thought we should kick off with a new thread.

Hopes for 2024.
Hopefully Max gets challenged.
Mercedes to close the gap on RBR.
McLaren to continue to improve. Will be interesting to see how their two drivers get on if they get a race winning car.
Will Ferrari finally get their stuff together?

What are you looking forward to?
Watching the same show over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity ;)

In all seriousness of course I hope no one season is a repeat of the last. I never saw the majority of Mercedes dominance in their time, but can't imagine that was too interesting if you were not a Mercedes fan.

Right now I am not for nor against any team in particular. Obviously I enjoyed hearing the Dutch national anthem 19 times last year, but you can't ignore even Max wanting more of a challenge.

Reactions: Don Quixote

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Watching the same show over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity ;)

In all seriousness of course I hope no one season is a repeat of the last. I never saw the majority of Mercedes dominance in their time, but can't imagine that was too interesting if you were not a Mercedes fan.

Right now I am not for nor against any team in particular. Obviously I enjoyed hearing the Dutch national anthem 19 times last year, but you can't ignore even Max wanting more of a challenge.
Mercedes dominated but they did have two drivers competing at least. Yes it’s much better when more than one team can win.
But when it’s one team and one driver (and remember how much more reliable F1 cars are since then), who is going to win it’s not a great spectacle. Especially when the track is crap as well.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Mercedes dominated but they did have two drivers competing at least. Yes it’s much better when more than one team can win.
But when it’s one team and one driver (and remember how much more reliable F1 cars are since then), who is going to win it’s not a great spectacle. Especially when the track is crap as well.
5 out of 8 seasons where Mercedes won constructors it was Hamilton and Bottas, Bottas managed a combined 10 wins in these 5 seasons. At least it was entertaining hearing Bottas state he was going for the championship year after year... I suppose we haven't had a super exciting competition since 2021, then 2016 before that.

Anyway I have been watching since 2018 with a couple of races in the 2016 and 2017 seasons. I have seen some videos on earlier seasons on YouTube but that's not my own experience. So yeah I suppose I feel less sentiment for the sport.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Did they, though? Bottas was never a threat to Lewis and while he had a stronger 2013 season, Rosberg was generally in Lewis' shadow in 2014 and 2015 and was, IMO, a bit lucky to win the 2016 WDC over Lewis.

Red Bull has mastered the current era of F1 regulations with their suspension design, just as Mercedes had mastered the previous era with hybrid powerplants. Mercedes has completely revised their suspension design for the W15 so if they got it right, they should be significantly more competitive this season. I am just hoping that if it is, Lewis and George do not form the strained relationship that Lewis and Nico had, which IMO became more of a liability than an asset to the team.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Did they, though? Bottas was never a threat to Lewis and while he had a stronger 2013 season, Rosberg was generally in Lewis' shadow in 2014 and 2015 and was, IMO, a bit lucky to win the 2016 WDC over Lewis.

Red Bull has mastered the current era of F1 regulations with their suspension design, just as Mercedes had mastered the previous era with hybrid powerplants. Mercedes has completely revised their suspension design for the W15 so if they got it right, they should be significantly more competitive this season. I am just hoping that if it is, Lewis and George do not form the strained relationship that Lewis and Nico had, which IMO became more of a liability than an asset to the team.
The Nico years were very toxic for Mercedes. And yes although Lewis usually had the better of his teammates, there was at least some chance. There was also a lot more reliability issues. These days if Max is leading at the first corner, you already know the result.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Both 2014 and 2016 went down to the final race between Lewis and Nico for the WDC and they won one of those each. The only year Lewis comfortably beat Nico in their four as team mates was in 2015.

Since then we’ve only had one decider in Abu Dhabi, in 2021.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Technical Director Simone Resta has also left Haas.

As to selling the team to Andretti-Cadillac, I suppose it depends on what Gene is willing to accept (the team's value is reported to be worth over USD 1 billion). And would Ferrari be willing to continue to supply engines until the GM PSU is ready in a few years? And if not, how easily can the current chassis take a Renault PSU?

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Max Verstappen in an Adrian Newey designed car is a pretty tough package to beat. I've never been a fan of Red Bull racing, but I have to admire their dominance and I have nothing but total respect for Max's performance last year. Yes - the car is amazing but Max is on another level right now.

My dream scenario would be a repeat of 2021 but where Hamilton prevails. I'm unashamedly Team LH, but I just want to see him get an 8th World Title and then retire. I hope Mercedes can get him a drive where he can go toe-to-toe with Max.

Then we can set about having the next generation compete for titles. Russell, Norris, Piastri, LeClerc are all capable of giving Max a run for his money given the right equipment.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Max Verstappen in an Adrian Newey designed car is a pretty tough package to beat. I've never been a fan of Red Bull racing, but I have to admire their dominance and I have nothing but total respect for Max's performance last year. Yes - the car is amazing but Max is on another level right now.

My dream scenario would be a repeat of 2021 but where Hamilton prevails. I'm unashamedly Team LH, but I just want to see him get an 8th World Title and then retire. I hope Mercedes can get him a drive where he can go toe-to-toe with Max.

Then we can set about having the next generation compete for titles. Russell, Norris, Piastri, LeClerc are all capable of giving Max a run for his money given the right equipment.
I can't disagree with any of this. I really would like to see Norris get his first win in 2024. But I fear Max will need a DNF for that to happen.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Other than the positioning of the driver further back the main focus of the W15 has indeed been the Rear Suspension. Lewis and George could never put the power down consistently in the W14. This will be a challenge for them.

Toto is quoted as saying "The W15 does not share a single part with the W14." That's a tremendous amount of change to get correct. I'd like to see Mercedes bring it, but given RB have been working on the RB 20 since July 23 it will be tough......

If they are quick I can see issues between Lewis and George. George can become Hot very quickly.

Reactions: CWallace

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Other than the positioning of the driver further back the main focus of the W15 has indeed been the Rear Suspension. Lewis and George could never put the power down consistently in the W14. This will be a challenge for them.

Toto is quoted as saying "The W15 does not share a single part with the W14." That's a tremendous amount of change to get correct. I'd like to see Mercedes bring it, but given RB have been working on the RB 20 since July 23 it will be tough......

If they are quick I can see issues between Lewis and George. George can become Hot very quickly.
The W14 definitely had the driver further back. About 6th or 7th! 😀

Sorry couldn’t resist!

In my opinion it will be a miracle if the W15 is able to challenge RBR. I’d probably hold out more hope for McLaren to be able to catch up than Mercedes. But that hope is about the same as me winning the lottery (and I don’t even play!).

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Ultimately nothing will change until the 2026 car/rules hits the tracks...
Hard to call it racing when the leader is 30+ seconds ahead of the pack
22 on the grid, one who is just miles better than the other 21, it leaves plenty of racing. And definitely 21 chasing the one chap and each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.