Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The W14 definitely had the driver further back. About 6th or 7th! 😀

Sorry couldn’t resist!

In my opinion it will be a miracle if the W15 is able to challenge RBR. I’d probably hold out more hope for McLaren to be able to catch up than Mercedes. But that hope is about the same as me winning the lottery (and I don’t even play!).

One can always hope. If McLaren can make the progress in 23 Mercedes has the engineering and resources to make it happen in 24. If not they should probably look for new leadership.

While I continue to to be a stead fast fan of Max, RB, and the RBPT RA621H Honda Descendent, it would be more enjoyable to have close racing up front every weekend. Max would certainly earn the driving respect he deserves. It’s not just the RB19.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
McLaren showed off their new livery, but on the old car. Media invited to the event noted the general atmosphere at the MTC is quite upbeat and the team seems to feel they are in a much better place at the start of 2024 then they were at the start of 2023.

Reactions: Glideslope

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
McLaren showed off their new livery, but on the old car. Media invited to the event noted the general atmosphere at the MTC is quite upbeat and the team seems to feel they are in a much better place at the start of 2024 then they were at the start of 2023.
Great share! .... not... lol :rolleyes:

lando-norris-mclaren-livery.jpg

oscar-piastri-mclaren.jpg

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As an American F1 fan, I have an interest and soft spot for HAAS, so it will be interesting to see if Komatsu can turn things around at HAAS. He was embedded in the UK operation, which is where most of the race prep is done so he seems to have a closer relationship with the engineering side of the team than Steiner did, who mostly worked out of the US office.

Gene says that HAAS spends within $10 million of the cost cap and that all of the investment is from sponsors (which is why he does not have to - and does not wish to - invest any more of his own money). And love the show or hate it, Steiner being one of the biggest stars on "Drive to Survive" really got the team exposure to both new fans and new sponsors. With Steiner gone and Komatsu focusing on engineering, HAAS currently does not have anyone dedicated to securing and maintaining sponsors (that will be the job of the new Chief Operating Officer, a position currently empty as Gene looks for candidates).

HAAS is also not helped by having its operations spread across three locations: the US (administration), UK (race operations) and Italy (chassis design and production).

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
The Spanish Grand Prix is moving to a new street circuit (with some permanent segments) outside of Madrid in 2026.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
No doubt, Max is an incredible driver. One of the best drivers of the century, but my goodness it was a boring season in 2023. The predictability was an astonishing achievement, but utterly boring from a fans' perspective.

I've been watching F1 for 30 years now, and for the first time, I'm not looking forward to a season, but I will try and run its course. (I still have hope).

It's not that I don't want Max to win. I just want to see him have to try harder. The grittiness is gone. It's all too polished and capitalised with all that "Vegas B$". So cringy. I felt for the drivers, who just looked so awkward. They were like fish out of water. The only one that seemed to enjoy it was Hamilton, and I'm a huge fan of his.

Here's hoping....I'm not hopeful

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I wonder what is more probable, Max winning every race in 2024 or a team other than Red Bull winning any race at all? Usually the answer would be obvious, but after last season I'm not so sure 😬.
Yes, indeed. I suspect there may be some initial 'finding their feet', a 'slow' start if you like. Perhaps 2–3 races early on are won by others. But I'm afraid thereafter it will be a runaway by Red Bull — Max Verstappen.

Reactions: headlessmike

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No doubt, Max is an incredible driver. One of the best drivers of the century, but my goodness it was a boring season in 2023. The predictability was an astonishing achievement, but utterly boring from a fans' perspective.

I've been watching F1 for 30 years now, and for the first time, I'm not looking forward to a season, but I will try and run its course. (I still have hope).

It's not that I don't want Max to win. I just want to see him have to try harder. The grittiness is gone. It's all too polished and capitalised with all that "Vegas B$". So cringy. I felt for the drivers, who just looked so awkward. They were like fish out of water. The only one that seemed to enjoy it was Hamilton, and I'm a huge fan of his.

Here's hoping....I'm not hopeful
I pretty much agree with your assessment. My level of hopelessness is similar to hoping I win the lottery (and I don’t even play!).

Reactions: beanbaguk

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I wonder what is more probable, Max winning every race in 2024 or a team other than Red Bull winning any race at all?

I believe the chances of another team winning a race is higher in 2024 than 2023. The RB20 is going to be as much as, if not more of, a beast than the RB19 was. However, McLaren, AMG, Ferrari and Aston appear to have identified and worked to address many of their 2023 weaknesses so hopefully this will result in pushing the Red Bulls harder and allowing for opportunities to score wins.

That said, I expect Max to comfortably defend his title.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I believe the chances of another team winning a race is higher in 2024 than 2023. The RB20 is going to be as much as, if not more of, a beast than the RB19 was. However, McLaren, AMG, Ferrari and Aston appear to have identified and worked to address many of their 2023 weaknesses so hopefully this will result in pushing the Red Bulls harder and allowing for opportunities to score wins.

That said, I expect Max to comfortably defend his title.
One can hope. But it usually takes a regulation change to break the status quo in F1. I remember people claiming that the 2021 season showed that given enough time with a set of regulations, the field will catch up to the front of the pack. But Mercedes in 2020 was one of the most dominant teams in recent history. The thing that changed in 2021 was a regulations to the floor that mainly impacted the low rake cars like the Mercedes and the fact that testing was shorter than previously. Without that I’m sure that Lewis would have comfortably won and eighth WDC in 2021.

I don’t expect much to change in 2024. Red Bull is in a position where they could shift focus to the 2024 car before anyone else, and I expect that to show come Bahrain.

Last edited:

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
This is one thing that has me looking forward to the upcoming F1 season. I live in Spain (albeit in the South), so if I haven't given up on F1 after all these years, I'll take my son up to the inaugural race there in 2026. He'll be 9 years old, so the perfect age to enjoy his first F1 race and experience.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
One can hope. But it usually takes a regulation change to break the status quo in F1. I remember people claiming that the 2021 season showed that given enough time with a set of regulations, the field will catch up to the front of the pack. But Mercedes in 2020 was one of the most dominant teams in recent history. The thing that changed in 2021 was a regulations to the floor that mainly impacted the low rake cars like the Mercedes and the fact that testing was shorter than previously. Without that I’m sure that Lewis would have comfortably won and eighth WDC in 2021.

I don’t expect much to change in 2024. Red Bull is in a position where they could shift focus to the 2024 car before anyone else, and I expect that to show come Bahrain.
That is the thing with Formula, nobody wins unless they are consistent as a driver, have a great car, great strategy, a pit crew that are consistent, and have enough support around them to handle the pressure. If some of those elements are missing, a driver can only do so much. Mercedes were almost perfect for 7 consecutive years, and then the regs changed and it changed the order. Red Bull are now enjoying that privilege and it looks like after 2 years of getting it almost perfect, they are most likely going to carry that advantage into a third year. As fans of other drivers, we just hope the other teams do enough to close some gaps, but its also about who does the best job. Max has the best car, the best team and the best support at the moment and is consistent enough in himself to carry the momentum. Nobody stays at the top forever though and its why we watch.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Alpha Tauri has formally changed their name to...

...the Visa Cash App RB Team.

Internally known as "VCARB", they will have their formal car launch in, where else, Las Vegas on 8 February. Alpha Tauri first met VISA as a potential sponsor at the Las Vegas Grand Prix, so maybe it's fitting, after all.

VISA has signed as a global sponsor for both Red Bull teams, so their logo will also appear on the RB20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.