Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced a Pro Apps Bundle for Education that includes Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4, and MainStage 3 for $199.99. The software bundle is available for teachers, faculty, staff, and students at universities, colleges, and K-12 schools in the United States, as reported by The Loop.

pro-apps-bundle-education.jpg

The total cost of Final Cut Pro X ($299.99), Logic Pro X ($199.99), Motion 5 ($49.99), Compressor 4 ($49.99), and MainStage 3 ($29.99) is usually $629.95, so the bundle offers educational customers over $400 in savings. The bundle must be purchased through the Apple Store for Education.

After purchasing the bundle, education customers will receive an email with codes to redeem the apps on the Mac App Store. Apple says codes are usually delivered within one business day, but may occasionally take longer.

Final Cut Pro X is Apple's professional video editing software, while Logic Pro X is its professional audio workstation for advanced music production. Motion 5, Compressor 4, and MainStage 3 are companion tools for creating 3D animations and effects, customizing output settings, building set lists, and more.

Update: Apple has confirmed that its Pro Apps Bundle for Education is coming soon to countries outside the U.S. that offer an Apple Online Store for Education, such as Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

Article Link: Apple Releases $200 Pro Apps Bundle for Education Customers

Reactions: keysofanxiety

yelnam

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2017
If you purchase with a university credit card: be aware that you have to actually call them to get tax exempt status, rather than ordering online. You'd think the Education Store would make it easier for those of us who can't buy anything with tax.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Good initial step but it's going to take a helluva lot more than this to staunch the profuse bleeding of their education market share to Google.

It's impossible. Google (or Microsoft) will dominate the public education market over the next decade. Apple hardware is simply too expensive for schools. When budgets are as tight as they are for most school districts, the fact that you can get 5 chromebooks for the cost of one MacBook Air means it would be terribly foolish for schools to buy macs.

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Shoot. This just might be a good enough deal to get me to purchase it. The only thing I'm worried about is having my plug ins work on the new FCP-X

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Anybody has a link to UK bundle?

United States only?

I'm not able to find the bundle on the U.K. or Canadian stores. I've reached out to Apple for comment. In the unlikely event that I hear back, I will share details.

Update: Apple has confirmed that its Pro Apps Bundle for Education is coming soon to countries outside the U.S. that offer an Apple Online Store for Education, such as Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
That's some remarkable savings, even for educational prices!

I guess this is an attempt to push these tools a little more into the curriculum of art schools.

I see this as a strong signal to the commitment of these applications, a good message amidst the drop of Aperture that to this day remains unrivaled for my needs.

Glassed Silver:mac

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It's impossible. Google (or Microsoft) will dominate the public education market over the next decade. Apple hardware is simply too expensive for schools. When budgets are as tight as they are for most school districts, the fact that you can get 5 chromebooks for the cost of one MacBook Air means it would be terribly foolish for schools to buy macs.

I work at a US university. If you're referring specifically to institutional purchases for computing labs, there's some truth in what you say. But as far as people on campus go - if you walk into any space where a bunch of people are working on their laptops*, you'll see a TON of Macs. Most of the rest are Windows laptops, although not many are actual Microsoft-branded devices (e.g. Surface). I see quite a few of the Yogas, which I must say are pretty nice hardware.

*I'm mainly around engineering and computing areas. It's possible other disciplines might not be as dominated by Macs... I just don't know.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Wow a thread where there isn't a post that talks about "Apple is doomed" :D but yea this is a great idea for education markets, university students who do editing will totally love this bundle. I wish it has been available when I was at university.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The total cost of Final Cut Pro X ($299.99), Logic Pro X ($199.99), Motion 5 ($49.99), Compressor 4 ($49.99), and MainStage 3 ($29.99) is usually $629.95, so the bundle offers educational customers over $400 in savings.
Hell of a deal, especially for anyone that uses all of them.

I wonder if this is a limited time offer...
Wow a thread where there isn't a post that talks about "Apple is doomed"
Almost anytime I see "doom" in this forum it is posted sarcastically by people that don't believe "Apple is doomed".

Preemptive trolling I guess.....

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Yeah, I would like to do this, but like others, I already have FCP so I would hate to buy it a second time. I wonder, since they send a key, is linked to my Apple ID? Does anyone know? I could sell the FCP to someone for $100 and keep the rest.

Something tells me I won't be able to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.