Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The so-called "iPhone 8" will adopt a higher-cost stacked logic board design to support longer battery life, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

kgi-iphone-stacked-logic-board.jpg

Kuo said the stacked logic board, also known as a "substrate-like PCB mainboard," will result in the "iPhone 8" with an OLED display having similar dimensions to a 4.7-inch iPhone, yet comparable battery life to a 5.5-inch iPhone. He expects the device to have around a 2,700 mAh L-shaped two-cell battery pack.
As battery material tech isn't likely to see major breakthroughs in the next 3-5 years, mainboard area can only be reduced via stacked SLP, which makes space for larger battery and extended usage time. Thanks to stacked SLP, we expect the OLED iPhone to have similar dimensions to a 4.7" TFT-LCD iPhone, and have comparable battery capacity (equipped with around 2,700 mAh L-shaped 2-cell battery pack) to a 5.5" TFT-LCD iPhone. The battery life of the OLED iPhone could be better than that of the 5.5" TFT-LCD model as OLED panels are more energy-efficient than their TFT-LCD counterparts.
Kuo added that the battery life of "iPhone 8" with an OLED display could be better than that of a 5.5" model with a traditional LCD display, as OLED panels are more energy-efficient than their LCD counterparts. For comparison, the iPhone 7 has a 1,960 mAh battery and the iPhone 7 Plus has a 2,900 mAh battery.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Said to Pack Battery Capacity of Current 5.5-Inch Model Into 4.7-Inch Form Factor

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
This is good news but in the future they should focus on emerging battery technologies, rather than trying to fit as much battery as possible into the design.

That "3-5 years" period will remain the same if large companies don't invest in some of the new battery technologies.

Last edited:

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
Smart to focus here - Improved battery life is on on a short list of improvements that appeals to almost everyone. (Everyone?)

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
No one is ever happy, huh?
It's good that they're increasing the battery life, obviously. But increasing the battery size results in a heavier phone and longer charging times (although that'll be fixed with fast charging).
There are some batteries out there that can charge in minutes, that don't explode, and that have a greater density. I don't think stuffing more lithium ion battery into the casing is a better solution, but it doesn't mean that it's not a good thing.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
They should focus on emerging battery technologies and rather than trying to fit as much battery as possible into the design.

That "3-5 years" period will remain the same if a large company like Apple don't invest in some of the new battery technologies.

I have always wondered why big companies wouldn't invest in such technology. My belief is that all the viable future battery tech is patented and it wont be cheap to purchase the license.
Also "long-term" safety is another issue...

Im sure there are many other holding factors that are preventing new tech to emerge.

Reactions: Appleaker

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
There are some batteries out there that can charge in minutes, that don't explode, and that have a greater density.
That also don't stand up to the charge cycle amounts that Apple/The Entire Industry needs, or can't be massed produced yet.

We all know there are better battery technology on the way, the industry is investing like crazy in R&D. They'll get here, but it makes no sense to stand still in current tech while working on them.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
They should focus on emerging battery technologies and rather than trying to fit as much battery as possible into the design.

That "3-5 years" period will remain the same if a large company like Apple don't invest in some of the new battery technologies.
Given the demand for battery technology (electronics as well as automobiles and power grid) there are already many large companies looking for the better mouse trap. I'd say that battery tech is not one of Apple's core (see what I did there ;-) competencies, so better that they rely of existing proven technology whilst they focus on things they can control (ARM architecture, user experience, ecosystem, etc). Besides, power drain is not one of their short-comings as it stands now. Lower power parts will just help that be even better. IMO they are in a position to focus their attention elsewhere.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
No complaints at all if the goal is longer batter life.

However, does this pass the smell test? Stacked PCB seems to conflict with the paramount goal of "thinner"- if not immediately, then down the road. And "more battery" also seems to conflict with "thinner," especially if OLED will need less battery. I would think if a key battery-using component like the screen needed less battery, Apple would reduce the battery and spin "same great battery life" so they could also spin the "thinner" that just about nobody wants.

But again, I hope this is true- more battery life is a tangible consumer benefit that likely appeals to almost anyone... unlike "thinner."

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This would be great, I can see why the iPhone 8 is going to cost more, with OLED, better battery tech, rumours of face or retina scanning and so on, it will be worth it in my opinion. I wonder if they will also add another colour option?

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
It's time to move on from the current battery technology and only involve companies that are allies and are trusted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.