21 inch fusion or 27 inch base

Discussion in 'iMac' started by demeyerb, Jan 22, 2013.

1. demeyerb macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm hesistating between two configurations and really can't choose. Budgetwise I can afford both configs. I will mainly use it for safari, word, aperture, iTunes and Windows.

Config 1
    - base 21 inch
    - fusion drive
    - 8gb ram

Config 2
    - base 27 inch
    - no fusion drive
    - 8gb ram

Any suggestions?

2. pubjoe macrumors 6502

Have you ever tried the 27"? Some people find the screen size too much, especially if they never have multiple windows open.

3. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

Configuration one! You are not going to be using the machine for photo editing, video editing or anything that is going to require the extra screen space so you will great advantages in having fusion. The none fusion iMac in the store was notcibily slow in opening any application whatsoever. Go for the fusion benifit and the 21.5's have less possible faults with the screen.

4. msg362 macrumors member

Fusion fusion fusion!!!!!!

Get it, if you can afford it get the 27" too

5. Megaoctane macrumors regular

Megaoctane

I had the exact same dilemma. I ended up ordering the 21.5. Got it home, screen was way to small compared to my old very cheap Benq LED 24". Sent it back and ordered the 27" base with fusion.

6. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Get the xtra in the 21, I7, 16 gb, and the fusion. Only a little more.

7. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Very tough but having started my wish list with SSD right at the top even before the iMac spec was first announced, I have been enjoying the 27" iMac for a couple of weeks and I have to say I wouldn't go back to the smaller screen. Yes, I enjoy the snappiness of the SSD but for a desktop it's less important in my mind as it's almost always on. Also with the 27" you get the 7,200rpm spinners so should in theory be 37% faster than the 21" stock which comes with 5,200rpm spinners.

If you can afford it buy both BUT if you can not, I'd go with the 27" if I were you. Especially as you can add RAM down the line for £50-100 3rd party, which if you were buying the 21", you'd want to max it out and pay Apple's prices for it...