Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scotlac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Hi guys,

I have the new MB Pro with TB and over all I'm loving it. I have noticed that I seem to have some issues with battery drain when it sleeps though.

My previous laptop was a 2012 MB Air and I could literally not touch it for days and see maybe 1-2% drop in the battery. My new machine last night when I closed it was at 30% and when I opened it up this morning it was at 18%. I then charged it to 100% and put it aside while my wife and I went to dinner. When I got home I opened it up and it was at 97%.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Activity Monitor doesn't show anything unusual so I'm not quite sure what could be going on.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Reactions: mahcus36

sinoka56

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
they still haven't fixed that in your time? Apple really needs to allocate budget for Quality Assurance.

Reactions: Cheruman

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I am getting higher than claimed power draw. It's not awful, but probably about 40% of the claimed 30 day standby claim. I haven't done the workaround because I'm trying to figure out why it's happening. If you don't care to do that, you can set the sleep to hibernate time to a shorter, fixed time.

Scotlac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I am getting higher than claimed power draw. It's not awful, but probably about 40% of the claimed 30 day standby claim. I haven't done the workaround because I'm trying to figure out why it's happening. If you don't care to do that, you can set the sleep to hibernate time to a shorter, fixed time.

Thanks Saint!

I'm unaware of the workaround that you mention. Could you explain or provide a link? Thanks again!
[doublepost=1480834755][/doublepost]I read on another thread that battery drain while in sleep mode is approximately 1% per hour. If this is the case then what I am experiencing is not drastically different than that. Coming from the MB Air the battery would barely drain at all when it was asleep.

Can anyone comment on this? Maybe I shouldn't be expecting the same standby performance from the Pro...

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Yes, I'm getting around 1% an hour drain. Went to sleep last night, MBP 15" at 100% charge. Removed charger. Closed screen for sleep. Woke up, open MBP and battery down to 93%...which does correlate with the 7 hours that passed.

daveak

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Durham, UK
Check your log files in console. Mine likes to wake up every hour or two when asleep, with power nap and wake on lan turned off. Spins up the disks, then goes back to sleep after a minute or so. My current best guess is mDNSResponder is doing something which seems to have the problem going back years on various models. My 2012 rMBP didn't have the problem though.

Reactions: Scotlac

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
You probably have something waking it up. Try to disable Power Nap and Wake for Wifi Network Access in Energy Saver settings. That should save quite a bit. Of course it depends whether you need these features or not.

Scotlac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Check your log files in console. Mine likes to wake up every hour or two when asleep, with power nap and wake on lan turned off. Spins up the disks, then goes back to sleep after a minute or so. My current best guess is mDNSResponder is doing something which seems to have the problem going back years on various models. My 2012 rMBP didn't have the problem though.

Yeah, looks like a lot of activity while this thing is asleep. Mostly Avira Antivirus and Google Software Updater (Google Drive, I assume since I don't have Chrome downloaded). I guess I should just turn it off completely when I'm not using it? I'm so used to not having to worry about that with the Air, which has all that same software on it btw.....

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Thanks Saint!

I'm unaware of the workaround that you mention. Could you explain or provide a link? Thanks again!
[doublepost=1480834755][/doublepost]I read on another thread that battery drain while in sleep mode is approximately 1% per hour. If this is the case then what I am experiencing is not drastically different than that. Coming from the MB Air the battery would barely drain at all when it was asleep.
Search "sudo pmset" on the forum. I can't give an exact link since I'd have to read through each of the results and stand by the instructions. Basically this is a terminal command that alters the time before sleep turns into hibernate mode, which uses no power since the ram contents are moved to the SSD. Changing the time to something smaller ensures that the MBP isn't sleeping and waking up at various times.

I've seen that 1% per hour sleep power drain and it doesn't jibe with 30 days of standby time. Maybe the 30 days refers to hibernate (I don't recall if that's a PC or Mac term, but you get the idea). Anyway, I'm getting about 5% or 6% overnight, which is close to the 1%/hour rule, but far from the 30 day claimed standby. Possible I am misinterpreting the claims.

Scotlac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Search "sudo pmset" on the forum. I can't give an exact link since I'd have to read through each of the results and stand by the instructions. Basically this is a terminal command that alters the time before sleep turns into hibernate mode, which uses no power since the ram contents are moved to the SSD. Changing the time to something smaller ensures that the MBP isn't sleeping and waking up at various times.

I've seen that 1% per hour sleep power drain and it doesn't jibe with 30 days of standby time. Maybe the 30 days refers to hibernate (I don't recall if that's a PC or Mac term, but you get the idea). Anyway, I'm getting about 5% or 6% overnight, which is close to the 1%/hour rule, but far from the 30 day claimed standby. Possible I am misinterpreting the claims.

Thank you sir!

Looks like I'm going to have to take this one back anyway since I have an unresponsive key. I will see how the standby issue looks with the replacement and try this if I have the same issue.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Thank you sir!

Looks like I'm going to have to take this one back anyway since I have an unresponsive key. I will see how the standby issue looks with the replacement and try this if I have the same issue.
It will probably still exist, as it's a software issue again. I don't have any issues with battery or anything so even in my "perfect" MBP, this problem exists. Good luck on your new one.

Scotlac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Just wanted to do a follow up on this post from the other day. I returned my MBP mainly due to the unresponsive key and partially due to the battery issues and exchanged it for another.

I have to say that I am having none of the issues with this one that I did with the first. Battery life is great! I'm sitting at 28% after using it quite a lot over the last couple of days and it still says I have 3 plus hours left. The drain that was present during standby on the first, approximately 1% per hour is much less on this one. Only 2% lost over a 9 hour stretch last night.

Reactions: thesaint024

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Just wanted to do a follow up on this post from the other day. I returned my MBP mainly due to the unresponsive key and partially due to the battery issues and exchanged it for another.

I have to say that I am having none of the issues with this one that I did with the first. Battery life is great! I'm sitting at 28% after using it quite a lot over the last couple of days and it still says I have 3 plus hours left. The drain that was present during standby on the first, approximately 1% per hour is much less on this one. Only 2% lost over a 9 hour stretch last night.
Thanks for following up. I got to solve that one issue on mine, but honestly still unclear if that is an issue or if I'm misinterpreting the 30 day standby claim. Glad you got a perfect machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.