Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that skiers and snowboarders can use Apple Watch Series 3 to track their activities starting today.

apple-watch-ski-snowboard-tracking-800x452.jpg

Apple Watch apps snoww, Slopes, Squaw Alpine, Snocru, and Ski Tracks have each been updated to take advantage of custom workout APIs released in watchOS 4.2 that enable tracking of specialized metrics:
[*]Total vertical descent and horizontal distance
[*]Number of runs
[*]Average and maximum speeds
[*]Total time spent
[*]Calories burned
While not all of this information is available in the Activity or Workout apps at this time, some of the apps do have integrations. Ski Tracks, for example, features 17 different snow workouts that can earn credit towards Activity rings, while Snocru contributes active calorie measurements to the Activity app.

The ski and snowboard tracking is limited to Apple Watch Series 3 models, which are the only ones with a built-in altimeter to track elevation. TechCrunch's Katie Roof shared a closer look at some of the updated apps, which are now available on the App Store and require watchOS 4.2 or later.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 3 Can Now Track Skiing and Snowboarding Activity

TCMercury

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
So for those of us without Series 3 watches, is there any indication that the tracking could use the phone's altimeter (I kind of assume it has one but now I'm not sure) instead?

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Awesome. I have a fitbit, but now that the Apple watch is becoming more and more functional, I may have to pick one up down the road. I will probably wait until next series though.

cknibbs

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
And one more reason why I want this thing even though I really don't need it and would probably get bored of it after a while...:oops:

It’s not an entertainment device?

I find my Apple Watch (Series 0) gets most of its use from Apple Pay, complications like the weather/messages, notifications, telling the time (lol). It’s great for at a glance info, and for encouraging me to leave my phone in my room so it doesn’t distract me from my kids while still making sure I don’t miss important notifications (I have most notifications turned off).

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Nice update, just in time for the end of the season (on the east coast)!

I was just thinking "dude really, right as the temps turn to like friggin 50-70"?!? MD and PA aren't getting very nice conditions after January. I would have bought a S3 at the beginning of the season if this was available. Oh well lets hope for a new form factor (that uses same bands) for next season!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Hmmm..refurb Series 3 or a Series 4 in the fall? Also, I feel bad for the buyers of their Series 0 gold watches for 10k since it's so outdated now. But they have disposable income, so they may not even notice it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
And one more reason why I want this thing even though I really don't need it and would probably get bored of it after a while...:oops:
I don't know. It's still my favorite electronic device. It's so useful constantly that it's surprising. I can triage all my notifications on my wrist without pulling my phone out. I can decline the massive amount of robocalls that have gotten cleverer recently. The complications are immensely useful (quick access to messages, mail, weather, my shopping list, etc). It's really the swiss army knife of electronic devices and well worth the money.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Now that's a feature I would like. Too bad I absolutely can't stand wearing a wrist-watch. I'm waiting for the Apple-Pocket-Watch!

For those who want this type of thing but don't have an Apple Watch, I've been using the app "Ski Tracks" for years on iPhones. It seems to work well.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I was just thinking "dude really, right as the temps turn to like friggin 50-70"?!? MD and PA aren't getting very nice conditions after January. I would have bought a S3 at the beginning of the season if this was available. Oh well lets hope for a new form factor (that uses same bands) for next season!
I'm in NH, my local mountain was pretty slushy on Monday afternoon, but they're still making snow at night. Was hoping for a dump this weekend, but looks like it's going to be rain now!

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I'm in NH, my local mountain was pretty slushy on Monday afternoon, but they're still making snow at night. Was hoping for a dump this weekend, but looks like it's going to be rain now!
Nice, I ride PA, NY and VT regularly. I've always wanted to hit Loon in NH. Good to know they are still making snow up there.

There's always spring riding!

cuwickliffe

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
A few days too late. My interest in seeing me skiing and snowboarding on a professional level peaked earlier this month and now I have the skiing and snowboarding ability and interest of a fat chihuahua.

#olympics

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.