Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Tuesday reported that it sold 9.1 million iPads during the first quarter of 2018, giving the company its highest share of the worldwide tablet market during that quarter in four years, according to IDC.

new-9.7-ipad-march-2018-800x682.jpg

The research firm estimates that iPads accounted for 28.8 percent of tablet shipments over the three-month period, compared to 24.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. The modest growth resulted in the iPad's highest first quarter market share since 2014, when it captured a 32.7 percent stake.

iPad's first quarter market share per IDC:2013: 40.2%
2014: 32.7%
2015: 26.8%
2016: 25.9%
2017: 24.9%
2018: 28.8%IDC said worldwide tablet shipments from all vendors combined declined 11.7 percent in the first quarter on a year-over-year basis, making the iPad's gains in sales, revenue, and market share all the more impressive.

iPad remains the world's most popular tablet, as it has been since shortly after it launched in 2010. Samsung finished runner-up in the first quarter with an estimated 5.3 million tablet shipments, down from six million in the year-ago quarter, although its market share stayed put at 16.7 percent.

IDC-Q1-2018-Tablets.jpg
Top Five Tablet Vendors, Detachable + Slate, Worldwide Shipments in Millions, via IDC

Samsung managed flat growth due to significantly lower shipments from other tablet vendors in the first quarter, according to IDC. Amazon, for instance, is estimated to have shipped just 1.1 million tablets from January through March, a 49.5 percent decline from the year-ago quarter.

However, research firm Strategy Analytics estimates Amazon shipped 2.8 million shipments in the first quarter, and it's unclear why there is such a large discrepancy between the numbers. IDC said Amazon's quarterly downturn "does not come as a surprise" given that its tablet sales are highly seasonal.

Looking ahead, the new sixth-generation 9.7-inch iPad should have more of an impact in the second quarter of 2018, as the tablet launched with only four days remaining in the first quarter, amid education buying season.

In terms of what's next for the iPad, Apple is rumored to launch at least one new Pro model with slimmer bezels, no home button, and Face ID later this year. The fate of the iPad mini is less certain, but it could eventually receive a routine speed bump should it remain part of Apple's tablet lineup.

Article Link: iPad Recorded Highest Market Share in First Quarter Since 2014 According to IDC

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
surprised that it is so low

huawei and lenovo must sell bunches of tablets outside the us?

I know they are available in USA, but I anecdotally never see them. Samsung sure I believe that, but wow at the others. I figured Amazon would be 2nd.

mostly off brand tablets though, I suppose that makes sense

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
There's really no competition in the pure tablet space anymore. Android and Windows tablets are long gone. Windows in particular has taken pretty much the entire market for 2 in 1s and convertibles.

However, despite owning the "market" the tablet market appears to be shrinking (due to 2 in 1s). Apple's sales are great in this sector but even those are decreasing over time historically.

the new iPad and price point is good to help keep it going for a bit, but there's still the notion that a pure tablet in this day of age just isn't the most desired device anymore

Mischievous_Surf

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2018
I'm in the market for an iPad Pro and I'd love to buy the 10.5 inch iPad Pro but with the rumors of a bezeless or minimal bezel 10.5" iPad Pro on the horizon, it's hard to be patient

AutisticGuy

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2018
That’s because tablets, as a market, are failing to get the attention of consumers. People are using their large screen smart phones for consumption purposes and their laptops for everything else. That “middle ground” Steve Jobs talked about is disappearing. And I’m saying this as somebody who used an iPad as their only “computer”.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
People are using their large screen smart phones for consumption purposes and their laptops for everything else. That “middle ground” Steve Jobs talked about is disappearing. And I’m saying this as somebody who used an iPad as their only “computer”.

Larger sized phones became popular because the increase in screen size increases the functionality for certain types of uses. That dynamic hasn't changed when it comes to the even larger sized tablet screens. You still get more functionality vs. large screen phones. However, I think Apple has realized that the 9.7" tablet needs to be cheaper due to phones getting into the 6" range, thus the really incredible price on the newest 9.7" iPad.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Apple sells twice as many iPads as Macs, but Mac revenue always beats iPads. I wonder what the margins for each are, as based on revenue, Macs generate a tidy sum.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Still a steep decline from peak. It's in recovery mode, which is good, but Apple really needs to start putting its money where Cook and Schiller's mouth is and do for iPad what Final Cut, Aperture, iWorks, iLife did for the Mac back in the early 00's: make some inexpensive, outstanding apps to showcase it as a laptop alternative.

Right now there are fantastic iPad apps out there, but at a cost -- esp. when it comes to office apps. Apple's own (what use to be) iWorks suite for iPad, esp. Pages is so basic and useless it just gives fodder to those that say the iPad is a toy. A high school student couldn't even right a proper research paper with Pages. And when it comes to photo and video editing iMovie and Photos are really also-rans. Apple needs to step up here. Software is what sells hardware.

Reactions: Lone Deranger

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
new-9.7-ipad-march-2018-800x682.jpg

The fate of the iPad mini is less certain, but it could eventually receive a routine speed bump should it remain part of Apple's tablet lineup.

Apple doesn't leave a product as-is and unchanged for that long in such a way that it is so clearly behind all of the other products in its parent product line only to give it an update down the road. It's following the path of the iPod classic, the Mac mini, the MacBook Air, and now, the AirPort product lines. And MacRumors should know better by now.

Reactions: Falhófnir

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
That’s because tablets, as a market, are failing to get the attention of consumers. People are using their large screen smart phones for consumption purposes and their laptops for everything else. That “middle ground” Steve Jobs talked about is disappearing. And I’m saying this as somebody who used an iPad as their only “computer”.

Its not that they are failing to get attention. Its that everyone that wants one already has one. There is no compelling reason to buy a new one at a cycle of phones. My wife has an iPad Air and uses it daily, but unless it physically stops working then she has no need to buy a new one. Phones die from wear and tear. Feature wise though, phones are now getting to the same place of tablets where there isn't much different from model to model so I see that slowing down too.

Personally, I don't see a need for an iPad. I have a Note 8 and Surface Pro, and the iPad would not change my situation enough to warrant having another device to haul around.

In my wife, my wife has an iPad and my granddaughter has an Amazon Fire for Kids. I don't see that changing in years.

Reactions: NIKKG

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
There's really no competition in the pure tablet space anymore. Android and Windows tablets are long gone. Windows in particular has taken pretty much the entire market for 2 in 1s and convertibles.

However, despite owning the "market" the tablet market appears to be shrinking (due to 2 in 1s). Apple's sales are great in this sector but even those are decreasing over time historically.

the new iPad and price point is good to help keep it going for a bit, but there's still the notion that a pure tablet in this day of age just isn't the most desired device anymore
How on earth do you come to the conclusion that Android are out the pure tablet market? Do you conclude that Apple are out for the laptop/desktop market since they have a smaller share of world sales than Samsung's share of the tablet market?

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I'm in the market for an iPad Pro and I'd love to buy the 10.5 inch iPad Pro but with the rumors of a bezeless or minimal bezel 10.5" iPad Pro on the horizon, it's hard to be patient
Look for a sale and buy. Or buy out of state to save on sales tax. If you have an older iPad, trade it in (if it's too old to resell). BestBuy has a good trade in program to save you some $$$.

If/when a bezel-less model comes out, sell the 10.5 Pro. You might break even or just out a little.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
How on earth do you come to the conclusion that Android are out the pure tablet market? Do you conclude that Apple are out for the laptop/desktop market since they have a smaller share of world sales than Samsung's share of the tablet market?

Android development for tablet's have pretty much dried up. Even samsung hasn't released a new tablet in a long time. it's not "dead dead". you can still find the odd device, but very few Android manufacturers are trying to release new tablets today. Samsung's latest flagship tablet is now over a year old. the flagship ASUS zenpad is almost 2 years old.

And no, I do not conclude that Apple is out of the Laptop/Desktop market. Not sure how you jumped to that conclusion. However, Apple is OUT of certain markets in the PC industry. For example, they are out of enterprise and they have walked away from the "Mac Mini" style computer.

this isn't about share and market share. This is about efforts and where they're being spent. Android manufacturers are not spending efforts in the tablet space anymore. Apple is.

just go through your local best buy (or website) as an example. Look at the Android tablet lineup. it's old, discounted, and rarely having anything updated / replaced today.

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
I'm waiting for WWDC or Sept IOS Event....

My 9'7 iPad Pro is still Great & features a lot more that current education model released.

I want 10'5 with OLED & Fave-ID Woot!!!!!

Lets Go......

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Android development for tablet's have pretty much dried up. Even samsung hasn't released a new tablet in a long time. it's not "dead dead". you can still find the odd device, but very few Android manufacturers are trying to release new tablets today. Samsung's latest flagship tablet is now over a year old. the flagship ASUS zenpad is almost 2 years old.

And no, I do not conclude that Apple is out of the Laptop/Desktop market. Not sure how you jumped to that conclusion. However, Apple is OUT of certain markets in the PC industry. For example, they are out of enterprise and they have walked away from the "Mac Mini" style computer.

this isn't about share and market share. This is about efforts and where they're being spent. Android manufacturers are not spending efforts in the tablet space anymore. Apple is.

just go through your local best buy (or website) as an example. Look at the Android tablet lineup. it's old, discounted, and rarely having anything updated / replaced today.
Samsung flagship tablets are on an 18 month upgrade cycle with the Tab S4 expected to be released this September, on time.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Samsung flagship tablets are on an 18 month upgrade cycle with the Tab S4 expected to be released this September, on time.

Interesting, going to be interesting to see what they do with that then. other than that, the market in android space has been very quiet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.