Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming Apple Watch Series 4 models will feature larger displays thanks to reduced bezel size, and information 9to5Mac discovered in the most recent watchOS 5 beta suggests the 42mm Apple Watch will likely have a screen resolution of 384x480.

The current 42mm Apple Watch Series 3 model, for comparison, has a resolution of 312x390.

With the higher resolution (and increased PPI), Apple Watch Series 4 apps will be able to display more information at a higher resolution on the display, as shown in the example image below that were taken from a modified Apple Watch Simulator using a guesstimated PPI of 345.

applewatchscreensizecomparison.jpg

As was seen in leaked marketing materials last week, the upcoming Apple Watch Series 4 models will feature at least one new watch face capable of displaying up to nine complications at one time.

Additional new watch faces could be included, and information taken from the beta suggests there will be new types of complications for Apple Watch apps to use.

Given the increase in resolution, third-party app developers will need to tweak their apps to work with the new Apple Watch Series 4 screen sizes.

Article Link: 42mm Apple Watch Series 4 to Feature Resolution of 384x480

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
These should fly off of the shelves...just watch!!

The Series 4 Likely won’t even make it to the shelves. The reality is, the 15% larger display, increased battery life, additional health sensors, and a higher resolution, all while being Compatible with the existing watch bands, it could be quite some time waiting for those who don’t pre-order.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Well, websites and HTML email previews are going to look better on this thing now.

Either the watch has a higher PPI or the watch is physically bigger because the rumor is for ~15% larger display in the same body size and this seems to be more than that.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Meanwhile, the MacBook Pro's pixel density has not been improved since 2012. At least we know where Apple's priorities lie...
Is this actually, seriously a problem? I can't even see pixel edges until I get under a foot from the display. In normal use it's fine. However, it would be nice to be able to drive an @3X display down to @2X but with a smaller UI so you can fit more on the display if you wanted to. The thing is 95% of people would never do this so Apple is probably preferring to keep their margins high until 4320x2700 15" displays come down in price. They could go all weird on the scaling like the iPhone Plus but I think they prefer not to.

What I would rather have is a 120Hz refresh rate.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
TAKE MY MONEY

YES ...

GoodBye Circle hopefuls !!

Yet, Aluminum will need to be strengthened as the display will be close to the edge of the same watch housing if that remains the same.

Watch S0 - Skipped
Watch S1 - Skipped
Watch S2 - Nike+
Watch S3 - Nike+; sold to prepare.

Watch S4 - Nike+ ... Hoping for Stainless Steel all black!
Want it so badly.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
My came off my wrist when I dived into a water hole at a quarry last Monday. Series 2. Not happy about it, I'm rapidly trying to save something up to get a 4 though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.