Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Stores are getting a series of over 50 new Today at Apple sessions for 2019.

today-at-apple-new-800x450.jpg

The new sessions, being added to the Today at Apple page alongside the announcement, relate to Skills, Walks, and Labs.
Skills are meant for those interested in learning new creative techniques to go further with our products, such as making a quick video with the Clips app or editing photos on iPhone. New Skills sessions include Notes and Chords with GarageBand, Sketching Ideas in Notes, Photo Editing Techniques and more.

Walks invite customers to venture outside of the store with a Creative Pro, where they will explore their surroundings, connect with their community and put new skills to use across passions like photography, music or health. New Walks include Capturing Cinematic Shots, Creating Soundscapes with GarageBand and a Health and Fitness Walk, Staying Motivated co-created with fitness expert Jeanette Jenkins.

Labs help customers experiment with creative techniques and complete the session with the beginning of a project. Many Labs have been co-created with world-renowned artists and makers. Building on the success of Labs with Florence Welch and photographer Chase Jarvis, skilled customers can find inspiration in new Labs like Beat Making with Swizz Beatz, Small Screen Magic with Zach King and Drawing Treehouses with Foster + Partners.
Today at Apple launched in May 2016 at Apple Union Square in San Francisco and expanded to Apple Stores worldwide a year later. The program offers free, hands-on creative and educational sessions related to topics such as photography, videography, music, coding, gaming, and art.

An example of an existing session is the Photo Walk, in which an Apple employee guides a group of people on a walk while providing iPhone photography tips. Another is the Kids Hour session Maze Challenge that tasks kids with programming Sphero robots to navigate a maze on the Apple Store floor.

Today at Apple also incorporates lessons from Apple's free Everyone Can Code and Everyone Can Create curriculums and tools such as Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, and the Swift Playgrounds app for iPad.

Speaking at an October 2018 event in Brooklyn, Apple's retail chief Angela Ahrendts said Apple Stores have combined to host over 18,000 Today at Apple sessions per week, with the help of over 70,000 employees.

Article Link: 'Today at Apple' Expands With Over 50 New Sessions Focused on Skills, Walks, and Labs

Last edited:

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Sounds like a smart move. The customers will be more dependent on the products and the skills that they have acquired functioning within the apple products. The customers will also be more tightly locked into the apple eco system. It will also provide validation to the customers that they made the 'correct purchase' and not experience buyers remorse.
[doublepost=1548786094][/doublepost]The apple products, including the iOS devices are great for creating. Its so disappointing seeing and reading that people simply use them to consume content.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Apple really doubling down on the feel good gobbledygook. Eh whatever makes their marketing department happy I guess.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
The others make sense, but why are they leaving the building to show customers how GarageBand works?

GarageBand tutorial: First, carry all of your instruments to the park...

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Apple Today Ad: Professional creative giving amazing insights and tips learned over years of rising to prominence in their profession.

Apple Today Reality: A teenager giving insights and tips that they just learned on a 15 minute training video.

jwwetzel

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Do people attend these workshops?

I spent a couple days at the Chicago michigan ave store over MLK weekend, and the workshop people were just talking through a microphone to themselves, no one was paying attention. Without bathrooms, though, you can't really expect people to head to the Apple Store for activities.

jwwetzel

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
I'm a bit baffled by this. Maybe Chicago customers are different than those in the SF Bay Area.

The Sessions are designed for people seated at one of the wood tables and a reservation is typically required. In fact, I think the table-based sessions are capped at 6-8 people. It's not just a bunch of soundbites that anyone randomly walking by is going to learn from. The amplified speaker isn't there to reach out to the entire store, it's there so the people at the back of the table can hear (the acoustics in Apple Stores are really poor with all of the hard surfaces and no acoustic panels).

In fact, Apple probably doesn't want a throng of thirty people around a session designed for 6-8 people. Do you think the people who registered for the class are going to be thrilled if a couple of random passersby take up all of the presenter's time and attention with their own personal questions? No.

These are one hour sessions. I don't really understand why anyone can't handle their biological needs before or after. Again, maybe this has something to do with those who visit Chicago Apple Stores. I can sit for an hour. Hell, I've been in all day meetings and training sessions (with breaks of course).

I'm pretty sure most Apple Stores have bathrooms. The signage is not prominent.

Couple things of note - these today at Apple series talks are given in front of the giant monitors, where folks are supposed to sit on the wooden seats and gather in a community - these are not the one-on-one events that you're speaking about. You can see in the picture attached to this article the wooden seats I'm talking about.

As for the restrooms, we plunked a grand on an iPhone XS, spending close to 2 hours there (after spending a couple hours the previous day there), getting the iPhone configured and set up, and as we were about to leave, we asked to use the restroom, and they directed us to a Starbucks down the street, where we had to buy something to get access to use the restrooms.

So I think they should either make these apple stores quick stops, or if they're going to make them inviting and want people to come to them, they're going to need restrooms.

See this story:

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2013/03/01/dear-apple-store-wheres-your-restroom/

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
Today at Apple: Facetime bug allows others to secretly spy on you!

Today at Apple: How to turn off Facetime!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
"Walks"? I'm already dodging enough cell-phone zombies, their heads buried in the screens of their gadgets, as I navigate the crowded city sidewalks. Now Apple wants to encourage more of them? o_O

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
I don't know if this is some attempt at a joke but I'll answer this.

Apple commits a fair amount of time and resources into the Sessions program.

• Developing the curriculum
  • Training employees
  • Setting aside time for employees to run the classes for the customers
  • Dedicating resources: a couple of tables, largish monitor, projection equipment, amplified headset and speaker, etc.

There are probably ten one-hour sessions on an average day, so they are paying these Geniuses and occasionally outside contractors to work those hours.

So yeah, it would be an incredibly stupid waste of time and money if nobody showed up.

Anyhow, I have attended a couple of sessions myself. Both were on a weekday late morning and both times I was the sole attendee. This allowed me to basically enjoy an hour of personal training each time with a Genius about the topic at hand based on my interests.

The first session was an iPhone Intermediate class and we covered a variety of topics and it eventually drifted toward photography and videography. The instructor himself was a photography/videography buff.

The second session was recent: a Taking Photos on the iPhone session. I learned photography on 35mm film cameras over twenty years ago, so I didn't really need much in the way of photography fundamentals, but I was curious about the capabilities of Apple's built-in Camera app versus third-party apps. We covered those plus some image editing basics.

The most interesting new session to me is the one where they cover editing photos on a Mac, a course that did not exist. Apple's Photos app for Mac OS has steadily added features and better functionality over the past few years so I am interested in learning more about this app that I have long relegated as a crippled tool primarily for filing.

I'm a bit baffled by this. Maybe Chicago customers are different than those in the SF Bay Area.

The Sessions are designed for people seated at one of the wood tables and a reservation is typically required. In fact, I think the table-based sessions are capped at 6-8 people. It's not just a bunch of soundbites that anyone randomly walking by is going to learn from. The amplified speaker isn't there to reach out to the entire store, it's there so the people at the back of the table can hear (the acoustics in Apple Stores are really poor with all of the hard surfaces and no acoustic panels).

In fact, Apple probably doesn't want a throng of thirty people around a session designed for 6-8 people. Do you think the people who registered for the class are going to be thrilled if a couple of random passersby take up all of the presenter's time and attention with their own personal questions? No.

These are one hour sessions. I don't really understand why anyone can't handle their biological needs before or after. Again, maybe this has something to do with those who visit Chicago Apple Stores. I can sit for an hour. Hell, I've been in all day meetings and training sessions (with breaks of course).

I'm pretty sure most Apple Stores have bathrooms. The signage is not prominent.

For sure, the Palo Alto Apple Store has restrooms that customers are allowed to use (back left, up the stairs; elevator access available for disabled people). Again, perhaps the Chicago Apple Stores are different.

I hope this answers your question and brings some clarity to the previous commentor's remarks.
Kudos to you for taking full advantage of such an amazing free service offered by Apple!!! I’m sure you will continue to enjoy all the amazing new sessions they’ve added!!!
[doublepost=1548802854][/doublepost]
"Walks"? I'm already dodging enough cell-phone zombies, their heads buried in the screens of their gadgets, as I navigate the crowded city sidewalks. Now Apple wants to encourage more of them? o_O
They aren’t like that at all, you should attend one and see for yourself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.