Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has registered two unreleased iPad models with the Bureau of Indian Standards, according to MySmartPrice.

ipad_mini_4_2017_roundup_header.jpg

The model numbers A2124 and A2133 were already registered with the Eurasian Economic Commission in late January alongside five other iPad models, but the Indian filing suggests that a release is drawing closer.

new-ipad-models-indian-database.jpg

Apple is widely expected to refresh its 9.7-inch iPad and iPad mini in the coming weeks, with each tablet rumored to receive a spec bump, including a faster processor. The 9.7-inch iPad is also expected to feature a larger 10.2-inch display. It would be the first update to the iPad mini since September 2015.

It's unclear how and when the new iPad and iPad mini will be revealed. Multiple reports indicate Apple will host a special event on March 25 at Steve Jobs Theater, but the word is that the keynote will be focused on Apple's rumored subscription-based news and video services, possibly ruling out hardware.

Given that the iPad and iPad mini refreshes are shaping up to be rather minor, perhaps a press release will suffice. March has become a common month for updates to Apple's lower-end iPad models, so an announcement could be just weeks away.

Two new iPad Pro models are also expected in late 2019 or early 2020, but few details are known about them yet.

Article Link: Lower-Cost iPad and iPad Mini Refreshes Draw Closer as Apple Files New Models in Indian Database

Reactions: Ravi_MR

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice to see. My Air 2 is getting a bit long in tooth, didn't want an easier to bend Pro, looking forward to the upsec'ing of the basic iPad.

Hoping the basic iPad still has a home button, but it'll be interesting if they do something else.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
The current 9.7 inch iPad is the best value of any current Apple device in my opinion. I’m hoping they release both the 10.2 and mini with laminated displays. If I had to guess, the new mini will take on the starting price of the current 9.7 inch iPad and the 10.2 ‘s price will start a bit higher than the current 9.7.

Reactions: sracer

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
The current 9.7 inch iPad is the best value of any current Apple device in my opinion. I’m hoping they release both the 10.2 and mini with laminated displays. If I had to guess, the new mini will take on the starting price of the current 9.7 inch iPad and the 10.2 ‘s price will start a bit higher than the current 9.7.

I'm going to guess the iPad gets an A11 and stays the same price at $329, and the mini doesn't get a significant case improvement (just an A10) but drops to $299.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
I have absolutely no need for a new iPad. I rarely use the ones I have now. I'd get a new, properly priced mini though. Just cuz.
This kind of thinking I never really understood.
I mean yes it's your money and you (not as in you personally) are entitled to do as you please, but if people are spending money on something they do not need just cause, I can give them my IBAN, they'll have the same feel of having spent for something they won't use, and I would be a happy camper, 2 birds with one stone :D

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
More like old unsold iPad Minis and iPad refreshed with new processor will be out soon. Apple desperately needs a comeback!

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I bought a mini 6 months ago and returned when I realized my son's $150 iPhone SE (was on sale at BB) was significantly than $400 mini. At release it already had a sub par CPU compared to the Air2 at the time. Hopefully they keep the laminated display and at least have an A11 in there...

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This kind of thinking I never really understood.
I mean yes it's your money and you (not as in you personally) are entitled to do as you please, but if people are spending money on something they do not need just cause, I can give them my IBAN, they'll have the same feel of having spent for something they won't use, and I would be a happy camper, 2 birds with one stone :D
My discretionary spending is just that. I see something I like enough to buy, I buy it. If I don't like it enough to buy it, I don't. Giving money to some internet rando does nothing for me so at least one of those birds is gonna live.:p

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Guessing a press release coinciding with the end of the event, then? Hopefully A11/3GB variant across the board, with pencil support for the mini!

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Guessing a press release coinciding with the end of the event, then? Hopefully A11/3GB variant across the board, with pencil support for the mini!
That is what it sounds like. The store will be updated with the new ipads and Spring color cases/bands.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I seriously doubt it will as it'll require too much reengineering, but if the new mini supports the first gen pencil, I will buy one for sure. Maybe even two.

Reactions: Ravi_MR

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
iPad Mini is my favourite format by far as for anything larger I just use my MBP. I just wish they'd release a fully specced one with AMOLED display...but I guess they figure that'd cannibalise the Max too much. :(
I can’t see why switching to OLED on the mini would cannibalize the XS Max. But it would add $200-$300 to the price, for relatively little marginal benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.