Lower-Cost iPad and iPad Mini Refreshes Draw Closer as Apple Files New Models in Indian Database

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
A mini Pro would be awesome, it’s my preference, though at $599+ I can’t imagine there would be a whole lot of demand. But I’m sure Apple would use the design language of the 11.0/12.9” Pro models (9mm bezel all the way around) rather than have a notch. I think it’s a moot point though, since I don’t see Apple making a mini Pro.
I think he meant top notch as in a better quality display

Reactions: Rafterman

Rafterman

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
A "professional" would not spend a tonne of money on a device the size of the iPad Mini because it's not going to be as usable as an 11"+ device
False. Professional photographers use compact cameras, even iPhones, if that's the device that suits them at the time. The term "pro" is a farce - a marketing term.

Last edited:

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
An iPad Mini would be an instant buy for me if it had decent specs (inc. face ID) and priced appropriately. If it's just a processor bump after four years with no other innovation, then it's clear that Apple are continuing their current strategy of making obscene unit margins to compensate for a slowing rate of growth in order to maintain their share price.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I think he meant top notch as in a better quality display
Yeah you’re right, I mis-read it!
[doublepost=1551375284][/doublepost]
An iPad Mini would be an instant buy for me if it had decent specs (inc. face ID) and priced appropriately. If it's just a processor bump after four years with no other innovation, then it's clear that Apple are continuing their current strategy of making obscene unit margins to compensate for a slowing rate of growth in order to maintain their share price.
It won’t have FaceID, the 9.7” (or 10.2”) won’t either.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Its been so long since the ipad mini was updated. So any update is welcome at this point. However, as a lover of this form factor, i hope that Apple doesnt go backwards too much to make it cheaper. Rumors of them making the screen worse than the previous ipad mini to keep costs down as well as first gen apple pencil support instead of the newer and better apple pencil 2 is kinda dissapointing. It’s been nearly 4 yrs since the ipad mini was updated. My hope is that they dont cheapen it too much.

DesertNomad

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
www.xericdesign.com
I have two iPad mini 4s that I use as a pilot. As long as they keep the laminated screen and bump the speed, I'll buy two of the mini 5s. Fingers crossed they don't cripple it, but this is Tim's Apple, not Steve's, so who knows.

Reactions: mcrawley

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
That's how every English speaker in the world who isn't from America would do it, in a title.

Capitalise every word except for prepositions.
That’s how we are supposed to do it in America too. It turns out that a lot of people don’t know their own language very well.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
California, United States
I'm going to guess the iPad gets an A11 and stays the same price at $329, and the mini doesn't get a significant case improvement (just an A10) but drops to $299.
I highly doubt Apple will debut two new differently sized iPads at only $30 difference. The regular sized iPad would canabilize the heck out of the mini.

I believe the new iPad mini will take the place of regular iPad’s price point at $329 and that the iPad will be bumped up to $399-$499 with more iPhone X/iPad Pro features.

DesertNomad

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
www.xericdesign.com
I highly doubt Apple will debut two new differently sized iPads at only $30 difference. The regular sized iPad would canabilize the heck out of the mini.

I believe the new iPad mini will take the place of regular iPad’s price point at $329 and that the iPad will be bumped up to $399-$499 with more iPhone X/iPad Pro features.
In my case (and tens of thousands of other pilots), the mini is the only size that fits on a yoke so the larger sized iPads are of zero interest to me.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
Fun fact that hardly gets reported.
In India iPad has 36-38% of the tablet market. Source: gs.statcounter.com

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
I bought the 2018 iPad during the holidays for $229 and if the new iPad Mini is around the same price, i'll snag one as well.

MikeSmoke

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
The only thing that would give me pause from getting a mini 5 on day one would be eliminating the 3.5mm analog audio output. Then I would have to look at blowout deals on a mini 4.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The only thing that would give me pause from getting a mini 5 on day one would be eliminating the 3.5mm analog audio output. Then I would have to look at blowout deals on a mini 4.
Like the 9.7” (which rumor has it will become 10.2”), I think there’s plenty of internal space in the mini for a headphone jack.

Now the new iPod Touch, I’m not so sure. I think it’s pretty much a 50/50 shot for that one.

My dealbreaker for the mini might well be a non-laminated screen. I’d have to check it out in person before I would decide, but I love the display on the mini 4. I’m less than impressed with the $329 iPad’s display, so I really hope they don’t go there—especially if they add Pencil support.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I'm in the market for a Mini so I am hoping they keep the laminated display and up the ram to 3 gigs. I am currently using a 10.5 but I find it heavier than I would like sometimes due to tendon issues in my wrist.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
California, United States
Yup. You said "The regular sized iPad would canabilize the heck out of the mini.".

I think they are different markets and lots of people interested in a mini are not interested in the larger model and the opposite is true as well.
Oh ok....you're probably right about that. I agree with you that there's a definitive market for the iPad mini, particularly in business and commercial. I was referring to the average consumer deciding between the two, which might seem confusing. However, that's probably where I was looking at wrong (consumer vs commercial). The iPad mini 4 has been selling for $399 for years and I feel like its very similar to the new Mac mini which is very flexible Mac and excels in utility. It's price also gets awfully close to an entry level iMac.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I’ll replace my mini 4 if the mini 5 gets an A11, 3 or 4GB of RAM, keeps the laminated display and gets a 256GB option. If the mini 5 only gets an A10, a paltry 2GB of RAM, only a 128GB option and the iPad mini 2’s display which was the biggest strike against it in multiple reviews when it came out in 2013, no deal.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I wish they would announce these things soon, I am anxious to see what they do with both rumored iPads already.

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
My discretionary spending is just that. I see something I like enough to buy, I buy it. If I don't like it enough to buy it, I don't. Giving money to some internet rando does nothing for me so at least one of those birds is gonna live.:p
You missed the point, luckylyu I do not need some internet rando money ;) I was pointing out (and not anything personal to you) that I find silly people buying stuff even after admitting they do not need it.

The "I do not need it, I have one that do not use already but i am gonna buy another one" , it's just me, but i do not get it.

But happy it "works" for them.

Last edited: