Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's WWDC keynote event that saw the debut of new software for iOS, macOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and tvOS, Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke with CBS Evening News and shared a few quick thoughts on one of the new features, Sign In with Apple.

Sign In with Apple is designed to let you sign into apps using your Apple ID for authentication purposes, offering up a privacy-focused alternative to signing in with accounts from sites like Facebook, Google, or Twitter.

signinwithapple-800x473.jpg

Cook was asked whether Apple was taking a shot at the way Facebook and Google collect user data with the new feature, but Cook said that wasn't the case. Apple, he says, focuses on the user, and the company believes people want to be able to use the web without being under surveillance.
You know, we're not really taking a shot at anybody. We're - we focus on the user. And the user wants the ability to go across numerous properties on the web without being under surveillance. We're moving privacy protections forward. And I actually think it's a very reasonable request for people to make.
When asked whether Facebook cares about privacy and security, Cook says that "everybody's beginning to care more" thanks to increased awareness of what's been happening.
Many people are getting more offended. I think this is good. Because we need to shine a light on it. You can imagine an environment where everyone begins to think there's no privacy. And if there's no privacy, your freedom of expression just plummets. Because now you're going to be thinking about how everybody's going know every single thing you're doing. This is not good for our country, not good for democracy.
New App Store guidelines provided to developers today suggest Sign In with Apple is going to be a mandatory feature in all apps that offer third-party sign-in options.

If an app lets you log in using Facebook, Google, or Twitter, the app will also need to present users with the Sign In with Apple option too.

Sign In with Apple authenticates a user with Face ID or Touch ID, and keeps personal information safe from app and website developers. It's designed to let Apple users create a new account in an app using a one-click button without leaking user data.

Sign In with Apple also lets Apple users create a randomly-generated email address that hides your own email address when you're signing up for an app or service.

The new Sign In with Apple feature will be available starting later this year.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook on iOS 13's Sign In with Apple: 'We're Not Really Taking a Shot at Anybody'

hlevolve

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
I can’t wait for this feature out of all the awesome announcements today this is actually one of the top ones for me. I love that I don’t have to pass out my true email any longer for sites that use this. I hope it expands all over and I’ll be using it.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
As a developer, I don’t like this new rule that I “have” to use Apple’s solution with other third party login option of my choice. I guess I should just only have my app available on other competing app stores...oh, wait. There isn’t one.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Remember, Apple sells a targeted advertising service for 30% commission

They want advertisers to know they have to pay the Apple Tax to advertise to Apple customers, the same as app developers need to pay to be on the app store

I read your post several times to see if you could find even a glimmer of a connection between Apple sign in and the fee that developers pay to sell apps through the App Store.

Came up empty.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
As a developer, I don’t like this new rule that I “have” to use Apple’s solution with other third party login option of my choice. I guess I should just only have my app available on other competing app stores...oh, wait. There isn’t one.

Understand where you’re coming from, but how many developers would bother to take the time to implement if it were optional?

This wouldn’t exactly be at the top of any developers list... especially if they’re developing for both platforms.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
If I read about this new apple solution correctly, it’s required as an addition if you list sign in with google or Facebook. I don’t think it is the only option.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

I’m a developer and I support it 100%. We abandoned third party sign in long ago.
[doublepost=1559616137][/doublepost]
If I read about this new apple solution correctly, it’s required as an addition if you list sign in with google or Facebook. I don’t think it is the only option.

Correct.

baculum

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2016
I can’t wait for this feature out of all the awesome announcements today this is actually one of the top ones for me. I love that I don’t have to pass out my true email any longer for sites that use this. I hope it expands all over and I’ll be using it.

I totally agree. I'm sick and tired of being expected to use Facebook or Google to sign into anything. I've deleted my accounts with companies for whom I'M the product. I hope this gains some traction...

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
When asked whether Facebook cares about privacy and security, Cook says that "everybody's beginning to care more" thanks to increased awareness of what's been happening.

Facebook cares as much about privacy as I care about Facebook. They continually abused the trust of their users and so have lost the privilege for anyone to trust their universal logon credential service. Good riddance.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I read your post several times to see if you could find even a glimmer of a connection between Apple sign in and the fee that developers pay to sell apps through the App Store.

Came up empty.

Apple's entire strategy is based on closing off its customers inside its prison/"walled garden" and only allowing contact with the external world on their terms

They developed a mobile OS that doesn't allow any code to run if not authorised by Apple, and now even call this a "computer replacement"

They include NFC chips in phones but only for using Apple Pay, no other services allowed

They include bluetooth chips in HomePods but only to connect to an Apple device to set up, no use for streaming audio from non-Apple devices allowed

Now they're targeting the internet itself with Safari and now apps putting an extra layer between the user and 3rd parties. It's true this means 3rd parties can't collect data as easily, but Apple reserves the right to collect data themselves and use their unique position to sell advertising products to 3rd parties

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Apple's entire strategy is based on closing off its customers inside its prison/"walled garden" and only allowing contact with the external world on their terms

They developed a mobile OS that doesn't allow any code to run if not authorised by Apple, and now even call this a "computer replacement"

They include NFC chips in phones but only for using Apple Pay, no other services allowed

They include bluetooth chips in HomePods but only to connect to an Apple device to set up, no use for streaming audio from non-Apple devices allowed

Now they're targeting the internet itself with Safari and now apps putting an extra layer between the user and 3rd parties. It's true this means 3rd parties can't collect data as easily, but Apple reserves the right to collect data themselves and use their unique position to sell advertising products to 3rd parties

It's pretty obvious to some of us more neutral folks what Apple is doing here. If I were in their shoes, I'd do the same.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I am also a developer. Have been for years...this is actually great...why not give users the option? I mean, if you have added in, "Log in with Facebook" or "Login with Twitter" as an option, then you know its not a big deal which one a user presses to get into the app. Adding one more button my app is not a big deal at all and I don't think it would be for any other developer.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
This is absolutely fantastic. Full stop. Doubling down on the Walled Garden. I might even buy meself a $1000 monitor stand.

Remember, Apple sells a targeted advertising service for 30% commission

They want advertisers to know they have to pay the Apple Tax to advertise to Apple customers, the same as app developers need to pay to be on the app store
Please explain how this has anything to do with the subject of this thread.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
I am also a developer. Have been for years...this is actually great...why not give users the option? I mean, if you have added in, "Log in with Facebook" or "Login with Twitter" as an option, then you know its not a big deal which one a user presses to get into the app. Adding one more button my app is not a big deal at all and I don't think it would be for any other developer.

As you're a developer, then you know that this is for many companies and organizations more involved than just "adding one more button." It's not nearly as trivial as you're making it out to be, and there potentially lots of other considerations that come with it.

This is a rather big onus to put on product and development teams, especially with such a quick deadline.

My company supports email and Facebook sign-in — and that's it — for very good reasons. It's pretty integral to what we do, and we're very straightforward about why that is. This thing really backs us into a corner...not to mention that our dev roadmap for the rest of the year was already pretty set. For us, this is a real mess, and while I'm sure we're in the minority, I'm also sure we aren't alone.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
What advertising products?

Reactions: agsystems
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.