Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the iOS 13.1 update released this morning, Apple tweaked the designs of several emojis, updating inaccuracies in some cases and changing colors and designs for other emoji.

According to Emojipedia, Apple updated a total of 24 emoji designs in iOS 13.1, and several of the most important updates relate to tweaks to animals.

emojipediaios131.jpg

The octopus, for example, now has suckers on its tentacles, which were missing before, and the squid emoji no longer has a siphon in the middle of its face, which was anatomically incorrect.

ios131octopusemoji-800x400.jpg

The mosquito now has six legs instead of five legs as in the prior emoji, and the abacus now has its beads oriented vertically instead of horizontally, which is more historically accurate.

Apple changed the jigsaw puzzle piece from blue to green, and changed the hearts used for emojis like face with heart eyes. The mermaid emojis now feature the mermaid holding a trident, the cow is a slightly different color, shading on the mouse has been updated, and a few other emoji have also received smaller design tweaks.

emojipediaios131squid-800x400.jpg

Later this year, Apple plans to bring a total of 59 new emojis to the iOS operating system, introducing characters like sloth, flamingo, waffle, falafel, skunk, orangutan, and more.

foodanimalemoji2019-800x365.jpg

New faces, gestures, and poses coming include yawning face, pinching hand, person kneeling, person standing, and new people holding hands options that are both gender and skin tone inclusive, plus there are a wide selection of other miscellaneous emoji.

miscemoji2019-800x378.jpg

Apple earlier this year previewed all of the upcoming emoji characters, and they'll be added to iOS in an update to iOS 13 set to be released later this year. It's not entirely clear when we might see the new characters, but last year Apple released updated emoji in early October.

Article Link: iOS 13.1 Brings Design Updates for Multiple Emojis, Corrects Anatomy Issues for Animals

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I mean, I get that it's not that big a deal but I guarantee the number of emoji/Messages users vastly outnumbers the number of Mail users.

Now when is Apple gonna let us search all these emoji?

that is a scary thought. and you're probably right. but i would still be able to use mail properly before emoji skynet takes over and kills us.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I'm not saying it was Juli that went through the list of updated symbols and counted all the differences, I'm not even saying that it wasn't in the release notes somewhere. But what I am saying is that somebody, at some point, went through all the updated symbols and listed out these super minor changes.

And got paid for it.

That is all.

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
We live in the times where an emoticon of an octopus without suction cups is more of a burden than millions of iPhone users without a proper mail client...I mean whaaaaattt ??

To me this is a typical Apple symptom: while Jonathan Ive was getting bored due to design being recycled, Tim Cooks design strategy focused onto the deeper mind of the iOS. Emoji's, animoji's and whatnot seem to be greater features than a daft new approach in hardware design.

It is a stupid idé fixe to think that software design is more of a feat than hardware design. Throw in the services approach, and we all become very nostalgic about the days when things really were different...

Thing is: nobody will camp in front of Apple stores for Emoji's and other teenager functions

rboerdijk

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2010
You know the best part about the original yellow "smileys" that later became emoji?

You didn't have to worry about being inclusive or offensive... because they were just abstract universal facial expressions.
I think this is scheduled for iOS14 and will be called unimoji. Like animoji, but universal.
Can't wait for the official anouncement, we have some exciting times ahead!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.