Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is considering bundling AirPods with new iPhone models in 2020, according to hit-or-miss Taiwanese publication DigiTimes.

iphone-11-pro-box-with-airpods-800x575.jpg

The report claims "smartphone vendors including Apple, Samsung, and Xiaomi are looking to bundle their new models with TWS earbuds next year," citing unnamed industry sources. "TWS" or "truly wireless stereo" earphones include the likes of AirPods and Samsung's Galaxy Buds.

We're pretty skeptical about this report due to the price of AirPods, which start at $159. It's hard to imagine Apple including such a costly accessory in the box with new iPhones next year without raising the price of the iPhones overall... not to mention that DigiTimes doesn't have a stellar track record with Apple rumors either.

AirPods are also tremendously popular by all indications, so it is hard to see why Apple would give them away for free when millions of customers are clearly happy to fork over a few hundred dollars for them already. In fact, the new AirPods Pro are in such high demand that Apple is reportedly doubling production.

Apple has included basic, wired EarPods with a Lightning connector in the box with iPhones for several years. Those earphones likely cost Apple very little to manufacture, retailing for just $29 on its website.

While this rumor seems questionable for now, it is certainly possible that Apple simply feels it is time to include something more modern than EarPods with its iPhones. AirPods are already said to be the world's best selling truly wireless earphones, and bundling them with iPhones would only extend that lead.

If it were to happen, we would imagine AirPods would only be bundled with higher-end iPhone 12 Pro models. We're still a little under ten months away from those devices, so we'll see if this rumor gains any traction as time goes on.

Article Link: DigiTimes: Apple Considering Bundling AirPods With 2020 iPhones

Fried egg on toast

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2019
It’s a good way to ‘lower’ the price of an iPhone without lowering the price lol. Just like adding a years Apple TV does......
Maybe Apple Music too?

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Good! I hope they do! In my opinion, Apple should have included them with the iPhone the whole time. If you’re going to remove the headphone jack from your product then you ought to include the proper wireless alternative in the box, not those useless lighting headphones.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016

Apple is considering bundling AirPods with new iPhone models in 2020, according to hit-or-miss Taiwanese publication DigiTimes.

iphone-11-pro-box-with-airpods-800x575.jpg

The report claims "smartphone vendors including Apple, Samsung, and Xiaomi are looking to bundle their new models with TWS earbuds next year," citing unnamed industry sources. "TWS" or "truly wireless stereo" earphones include the likes of AirPods and Samsung's Galaxy Buds.

We're pretty skeptical about this report due to the price of AirPods, which start at $159. It's hard to imagine Apple including such a costly accessory in the box with new iPhones next year without raising the price of the iPhones overall... not to mention that DigiTimes doesn't have a stellar track record with Apple rumors either.

AirPods are also tremendously popular by all indications, so it is hard to see why Apple would give them away for free when millions of customers are clearly happy to fork over a few hundred dollars for them already. In fact, the new AirPods Pro are in such high demand that Apple is reportedly doubling production.

Apple has included basic, wired EarPods with a Lightning connector in the box with iPhones for several years. Those earphones likely cost Apple very little to manufacture, retailing for just $29 on its website.

While this rumor seems questionable for now, it is certainly possible that Apple simply feels it is time to include something more modern than EarPods with its iPhones. AirPods are already said to be the world's best selling truly wireless earphones, and bundling them with iPhones would only extend that lead.

If it were to happen, we would imagine AirPods would only be bundled with higher-end iPhone 12 Pro models. We're still a little under ten months away from those devices, so we'll see if this rumor gains any traction as time goes on.

Article Link: DigiTimes: Apple Considering Bundling AirPods With 2020 iPhones

Could become like a BTO option. Maybe you could select airpods or airpods pro instead of earpods in the box and it would cost $100–$200 more

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Good! I hope they do! In my opinion, Apple should have included them with the iPhone the whole time. If you’re going to remove the headphone jack from your product then you ought to include the proper wireless alternative in the box, not those useless lighting headphones.

How are Bluetooth earphones any more “proper” a replacement for the headphone jack earphones than lightning earphones?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you’re going to remove the headphone jack from your product then you ought to include the proper wireless alternative in the box

Except, Apple did provide an alternative, they provided the lightning adapter for those who still wanted to use their wired headphones. (If I want a pair of Bluetooth headphones, I would rather have my own choice of what I want that fits me in terms of style/function.)

not those useless lighting headphones.

I train in the gym five days a week, I’d say at least 80% of headphones I see in the gym are the lightning earbuds, so clearly they’re _not_ useless if consumers are using them.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Finally, an article not about @#$^ black Friday, any article is better than the over the top black Friday "news". ...MR.../wink

Bundling would be a smart idea (only if the bundled price is a bit less then buying both separately), more sales, but, this is Digitimes, the one which is always wrong.

.....DigiTimes doesn't have a stellar track record....

Understatement of the year.

Last edited:

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Ridiculous.
Maybe 25% of iPhone owners want/need AirPods... but Apple should flood the market so they can be landfill bound en masse & devalued incredibly along the way?

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
That’s a polite way of putting it!

Yeah...just on the basis of how long we waited for a charger that was not 5W even though iPhones since the...8? X? were able to charge much faster with bigger bricks. Actually, I think I was even able to charge my 6 or 7 faster with an iPad's brick IIRC.

At any rate, Airpods are an additional $200 expense that will pass onto the customer. The phone base is over $1k now. Unless they decide that the pro tier should be like this.

Reactions: newyorksole

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I think "bundle" may the appropriate term to think of though. As in, an optional bundling of AirPods with the purchase of a new device that will provide a discount on the separate combined prices but not giving the AirPods away for free.

Reactions: Justanotherfanboy

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Yes, I could see this working if they add a bundled option that saves you a bit ($30-50) on purchasing airpods separately. No way would they include these as standard though. AirPods are too popular, and the people who already own them aren't going to want to pay the extra cash.

Reactions: DailySlow

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
a bundle for an addl $100 or so might be an option, but they will not include those for "free"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.