Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reno404

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
Ok so here's what's happened.

This morning I bought a 320 Go Western Digital external HD. I plugged it in, but my MB didn't recognize it. When I turned the HD off, I did get an error message about improper disconnection.
I tried to reboot my MacBook, and that's when things got weird. I get the white screen with the little tune. Then, small vertical colored lines appear in the center of the screen, spreading out to both sides. It then freezes on a hippie-looking multi-colored screen.
I now notice a little bubble on the bottom of my MacBook, approx. 1 inch away from when the screen starts (pretty much in the center). There are cracks in the plastic around the bubble.

So my question is... WTF??? :eek:

Update: After long negociations, Apple has agreed to replace it. I was negociating on two fronts: AppleCare (no luck there, it always remained "no way, no replacement, only repair"), and the PR-section, playing the "I'm a journalist" card. That worked like a charm. My mail was sent to Ireland, where someone told me the replacement was agreed for. I don't know if I'll get a black one, like I asked, or if I just get "the same but another". I'll keep you posted on that. Pray with me: let it be black!

Reno404

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
I did. The guy blamed me for improper use of the external HD. He told me I had to format the disc first, so there'd be no compatibility problems. I don't think he got it... The thing went dead!!
I already had to return it a couple of weeks ago because I had the random shutdown problem. Now this. Should I regret being a switcher? :mad:

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Just take the machine in to a store or ring up and tell them what the machine is doing, there is no need to mention the HDD. That has nothing to do with it, the notebook died time to get it fixed or replaced.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Bah. Call back, get a different representative, and don't confuse them by talking about the external drive. They need to concentrate on the bubble and the pretty stripes on the screen.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Reno404 said:
Would anyone know what part of the computer is located around there, that could potentially blow up?

The multicoloured lines are what happened to my iBook when it suffered from a cracked logic board/graphics chipset. Could the bubble be associated with capacitors, like the leaking ones that came in early G5 iMacs? Anyone?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
So by the Apple rep's thinking, if you don't format an external HD, its perfectly acceptable that a laptop can erupt as yours did simply by turning it off... something would still be wrong with the laptop then!

It would be interesting to see some pictures.

Reno404

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
Yes, I had to rush to work, but I'll try and make some pictures tonight (screen and bubble). Alright, I must admit the bubble isn't very impressive, it's maybe half a centimeter wide, with the cracks spreading 2 cm.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I've heard of the multicoloured stripes on the screen (logic board issue or whatever and apparently quite common with the MacBooks) but the bubble and cracks in the casing? :confused: :eek:

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Reno404 said:
I did. The guy blamed me for improper use of the external HD. He told me I had to format the disc first, so there'd be no compatibility problems. I don't think he got it... The thing went dead!!
I already had to return it a couple of weeks ago because I had the random shutdown problem. Now this. Should I regret being a switcher? :mad:
It's funny At WWDC, that AD ran Saying just let them experience "compatibility problems" ect, if you get nowhere, i'd send an email to Steve, if you don't get a reply from him you'll get one from his assistants

Reno404

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
Macmadant said:
It's funny At WWDC, that AD ran Saying just let them experience "compatibility problems" ect, if you get nowhere, i'd send an email to Steve, if you don't get a reply from him you'll get one from his assistants

I'm sorry I'm not too Mac-savvy... WWDC? AD? What do you mean?

And you want me to write to "Steve" as in "the Boss"? I don't have his e-mail address in my contact list, I must admit :)

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Reno404 said:
I'm sorry I'm not too Mac-savvy... WWDC?

World Wide Developers Conference.

Its held yearly, with appearances from all the big boys at Apple - Steve and the crew.

They make announcements and demonstrate upcoming hardware and software.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Reno404 said:
I'm sorry I'm not too Mac-savvy... WWDC? AD? What do you mean?

And you want me to write to "Steve" as in "the Boss"? I don't have his e-mail address in my contact list, I must admit :)
Yeah i did complaining about my isub and he replied himself, but i'd use that as your last resort, i've been waiting a year for my isub bug to be fixed so i got annoyed and sent an email, so i'd try everything else first

The WWDC ad : http://www.veoh.com/videoDetails.html;jsessionid=D58F7C0ABFA7F90C7733CE4FFAC02AD4?v=e104498y2AbaKbD

Reno404

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
I'll bring it to the store tomorrow. On the phone, they seemed confident to be able to fix the problem easily. But will they replace the outer case as well? I mean even if it's fixed inside, i'm not too keen on keeping that cracked bubble as a souvenir...

Reno404

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
DavidLeblond said:
Methinks they need to give you a new macbook. I'd demand no less.

I did demand it. They said no.
Apparently, the random shutdown problem, the mooing, the staining, a key that doesn't work properly and finally an internal blow is not enough to get a new one. The guy said i wasn't eligible for a replacement.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Reno404 said:
I did demand it. They said no.
Apparently, the random shutdown problem, the mooing, the staining, a key that doesn't work properly and finally an internal blow is not enough to get a new one. The guy said i wasn't eligible for a replacement.

Was this over the phone or at the Apple store?

If it was at the Apple store, I'd take it to another one. If a friggin' laptop BLOWING UP isn't enough call for a replacement, I don't know what the hell is.

Reno404

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Brussels, Yurop
It was the guy at apple care. And as I said, it's not a big-ass-hollywood-style-blow-up, something must have popped inside, creating a small bubble.
I won't be able to sue them for endangering my life :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.