23" Apple Cinema HD Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SPNarwhal, Sep 29, 2011.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

So, few questions.
    I'm about to buy one of these today, was just wanting some fast consultation.

1.) Are these displays still great? Good? Is there a better monitor out there for me? I'm going to be using this as an external display to my 27" iMac, reason I want it is for photo editing- true color and all of that stuff. Since my iMac is glossy. Will this be a good choice? Is this a good monitor for photo editing?

2.) So this is an "HD" display, did the 20" come in "HD"? I did a lot of research on buying around with these, and I've never seen a 20" advertised as HD, but saw the 23" advertised as HD multiple times.

3.) The one I'm buying today is in mint condition, except fo apparently there's a speck of dust locked behind the screen on the very top left corner. They say it isn't noticeable whatsoever really, and extremely hard to find, and that it's in the navigation bar. Knowing me, I'll probably always go to it once I see it. I'm buying this for 225 though, so that sounds like a decent deal, right? The monitor is in mint condition, other than that dust speck.

Just a wandering buyer looking for some insight on a purchase.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

2. MvdM macrumors regular

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Alright, and another question.

This will connect to my iMac with a dvi to minidisplay port adapter, right?

I just want to make sure this is a good deal and a good monitor, and that I'm not just getting it because it's an Apple monitor.

Although I feel safe that even if I buy this and don't want it, I can probably sell for the same price as I'm buying for since I see them sell for upwards of around 300-350, or at least 250 minimum, and I'm getting this for 225.

4. slicktor macrumors member

slicktor

Yup all you need is that dvi to mini display port adapter. I have this monitor and it is awesome, I just couldn't take the glossy cinema displays they make now. I wish i got the 30" haha

But just a pointer, you should test it out before you buy it, they are pretty old so you wanna test the colour and maybe make sure it turns on. I read a lot of people had problems with its power cable (brick?). That they can easily break if they were unplugged improperly, etc.

5. FredTheDeadHead macrumors member

Ummm, is this the one with the clear frame, or the aluminum frame?

The older ones with the clear frames are getting too old to be reliable. We have had several dozen of them at work, and the ones that remain are starting to have a lot of backlight failures. Apple no longer supplies part for them, either.

Also the clear ones were mostly made with ADC video connectors, which needs a ADC to DVI adapter to make them useful.

On the other hand, the aluminum framed ones are very good. Try to get the price down, if it is a used monitor.

You say that this is for photo editing, but the glossy screens are generally considered to be better for true colors, and better contrast.

6. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I don't think so.. The glossy screens are not true color, they make the blacks blacker and the whites whiter, contrast is right. It looks nicer on that screen, but it's not how it looks on anyone elses screen (other than glossy macs) and if I printed it out, it wouldn't look the same.

It's an aluminum one, wouldn't go for the plastic one because from what I've seen, the adapter would be expensive.

225 seems like a reasonable price, I've seen these sell on e-Bay anywhere from 300-400, and sometimes but rarely 250, and that's if it was in really rough shape. (sticker residue, scrapes, scratches, scratches on the screen even.)

And a lot of the time they will sell for around 200 without a power adapter, but then the power adapter costs like 130.

This one is in mint mint mint condition, I can't find a flaw with it whatsoever. 225, not bad, :)