Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
That seems expensive. I bought 2 gigs of ram for my wife's macbook at the local Fry's for $150. If I would have bought it online, it would have been $130.

bep207

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2006
why did prices go crazy

i am planning on buying ram soon but dont NEED it right now

will the price go down significantly soon?

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
radiantm3 said:
That seems expensive. I bought 2 gigs of ram for my wife's macbook at the local Fry's for $150. If I would have bought it online, it would have been $130.
Well, the fact that those Corsair RAM came from Samsung is a surprise. Samsung is known for making good memory (which also supplies the nanos) so seeing the price of $100 is awesome (even with the fact that memory is right now under high demand). The original 1GB RAM Samsung brand found at OWC's website was priced at $169 each, which is absurd.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
So, we're sure this will work in my 2Ghz white Macbook?

If so, I think I'll order online and get in-store pickup since my local BB has it in stock.

dynetk

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
Sacramento, CA
scott523 said:
Well, the fact that those Corsair RAM came from Samsung is a surprise. Samsung is known for making good memory (which also supplies the nanos) so seeing the price of $100 is awesome (even with the fact that memory is right now under high demand). The original 1GB RAM Samsung brand found at OWC's website was priced at $169 each, which is absurd.

Why is Corsair using Samsung chips a surprise? They've used them in the past. Corsair doesn't manufacture the chips. They're best known for selling high quality memory.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I think that is not a photo of the actual module, Corsair modules actually have a green sticker with their logo on it

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Wow best price I have seen lately, if this is good stuff I may go pick up 2gigs for my macbook today!! :D

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for the post.

I think I will go buy one for my not-even-purchased-yet MBP and hold onto it.

I like doing business with BestBuy although most of their employees have less that adequate computer intelligence. Plus, if it doesn’t work or something is wrong returns are simple.

trueheart78

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2006
Wow, beats newegg by $20 a pop, except they are gonna charge tax. Regardless, I may swing by after work and pick up a set, could really use the performance boost on my dell. (not a mac user... yet)

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Keep in mind it's the CHIPS on the ram that matter more, not so much as the brand itself.

saga

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
I am so on it. Called my local Best Buy, and they have 3x1gb in stock. Going to get two for my blackbook. I am at 2x512 now, and was planning to do this in the future, but I can't pass up the price.
peace.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Man I am going to get this today and I have 10% off from them so no tax for me. But is this better that the one in newegg? I have only used corsair on my pc so I dunno about how well it is for macs.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
So is this pretty good memory? Just as good as crucial or g.skill? What do you guys think?

Buhbuhb

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2005
I'm going to be buying a MacBook Pro soon and given that an upgrade to 2GB is 270 I might as well install cheaper ram at a lower cost. I've never changed Ram in a computer before though- is it relatively simple? Are there any sites or guides that would explain how to do it for me? Thanks for any help...

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Buhbuhb said:
I'm going to be buying a MacBook Pro soon and given that an upgrade to 2GB is 270 I might as well install cheaper ram at a lower cost. I've never changed Ram in a computer before though- is it relatively simple? Are there any sites or guides that would explain how to do it for me? Thanks for any help...

Very simple. With a laptop it's generally just, unscrew the bottom panel, pop in the RAM stick, screw cover back on. Popping in the RAM itself is a two-step operation, you push in at an angle and then swing it down until it clicks into place. I wouldn't say it requires a delicate touch, but you don't want to manhandle it either. As long as you take your time you'll be absolutely fine.

You may need to go to the dollar store to buy a set of jeweller's screwdrivers to get the size you need to unscrew the panel.

Buhbuhb

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2005
notjustjay said:
Very simple. With a laptop it's generally just, unscrew the bottom panel, pop in the RAM stick, screw cover back on. Popping in the RAM itself is a two-step operation, you push in at an angle and then swing it down until it clicks into place. I wouldn't say it requires a delicate touch, but you don't want to manhandle it either. As long as you take your time you'll be absolutely fine.

You may need to go to the dollar store to buy a set of jeweller's screwdrivers to get the size you need to unscrew the panel.

Yeah I figured it was that simple. Wasn't sure if there was something else that was crucial to know about. So I assume from previous comments that Samsung ram (Above link) is very high quality and would be compatible with a MacBook Pro which would also run smoothly alongside apples preinstalled ram?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.