24" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crisito, Jul 21, 2009.

1. crisito macrumors regular

After buying a dell and not being impressed with it (although it was cheap), I'm considering buying the 24" ACD to go with my MacBook Pro.

Is it a good time to buy one of these or will there be a new display released anytime soon?

I'll be getting it for £525 (student price) if I do decide to go ahead with it.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

There have been rumors of an updated 30" coming eventually, but no real news on the 24". Displays are not updated with the frequency that the computing lines are, and so I'd say its probably a very good bet that the 24" will stay as it is for a while.

3. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Will the monitor last for a good while?

Is it likely that they would change the adapter from mini-display port on future MacBooks?

4. pnyc macrumors 6502

I don't think the 24" will see an update any time soon it hasn't been that long since it was initially released. The specs on the 24" are pretty good right now so it's a little hard to imagine what a realistic update might be able to improve. I think that Apple will be sticking to to the Mini DisplayPort.

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

The mDP is probably here to stay for a while; adapter changes usually only occur with major notebook transitions (ie ibook-miniVGA to macbook-miniDVI to unibody-miniDP)

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Apple will probably stick with the Mini display port for a while. Even ADC lasted 4 years before it was completely gone.

7. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Great.

Should I go for it then?

Or just go with a Dell 2209WA?

8. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

I should mention that I'm not a photographer or designer or anything, will just be used for general day to day use.

9. Maccleduff macrumors regular

If youve got the money then go for it!

10. Apple all life macrumors 6502

Buy a HD dell or HD samsung. Apple is over priced on this and it isnt HD. It is connected VGA

11. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I'd do the ACD. It's LED backlit, and comes with a Magsafe connector built in, plus the mini Display Port is just perfect for the MacBook Pro...

12. fireman13 macrumors 6502

They're both great monitors but if the difference in price isn't going to hurt your wallet, then i say go for the ACD. There is just something really sexy about that ACD. The panel in the Apple display may be better but I'm not positive about this. I know Dell makes really good monitors but the extra 2 inches and increased resolution along with the speakers and eye sight might be enough to push you to get the Apple cinema.

Good Luck with which ever you choose, I envy you if you get the ACD. I really want one. My Gateway is nice, but it's no Apple.

13. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

If you have the money, definitely go for the ACD.

14. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

What ?

Whilst I completely agree that the 24" screen is overpriced (by a large amount) and the Samsung 26" HD screens are amazing and HALF the price, it is nonsense and complete drivel to say that it is connected via VGA - it is NOT - it is connected via MiniDisplayPort which is 100% digital, just like DVI or HDMI. Think you should get your facts right !

15. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I knew that obviously but dont you lose quality connecting it with VGA. It is connected with mini display port >>> VGA I even asked the Genius working there. I had a chance to buy one but when I went to the apple store and looked at it I wasnt impressed at all, the 30" was amazing but out of my price range. I went with http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7976

and I think it is far better than the ACD.

16. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Yup, there's a lot of misinformed people around here...

17. shred macrumors newbie

I'm a photographer and web developer and I use the Dell 2209WA monitor hooked up to my 15" uMBP. The 2209WA is a great monitor for the price but will need to be calibrated properly to get accurate colors. I highly recommend that you purchase a hardware calibrator (e.g. Spyder3Pro).

18. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

I bought that monitor and returned it - it had a annoying buz sound. At first I thought it was my external hard drive, but then I released it was not. The buzzing is actually louder than my external HD!

19. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

I'm currently using a Dell monitor and the matte screen gives it a sort of 'wet' look. I don't know whether all matte screens are like this, but the one I have is very distracting. The effect is hard to describe apart from 'wet'. Does the 2209WA have the same since it's matte?

20. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The ACD has nothing to do with VGA. It connects directly to MDP...

How ignorant can people be. And the Genius really needs to get his stuff straight.

21. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Also, does the 24" ACD make a noise?

The Dell I'm using atm has an annoying buzz.

22. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

My 24" LED backlit ACD is amazing. It is the perfect docking station for a Mac notebook. I 100% recommend it for any Mac notebook owner. No, it doesn't make any weird noise.

23. zedsdead macrumors 68040

As do I, just note that it has a very short cable. Makes sure the laptop will be in close proximity to the screen.

24. shred macrumors newbie

Not sure what you mean by a "wet" look. However, I remember that out of the box the 2209WA didn't look spectacular. Sure it was "bright" but the colors were totally off. It wasn't until I ran it through the Spider2Pro that the colors improved tremendously. It's seriously a fantastic display.

25. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

No matter how mine is calibrated it doesn't remove this wet effect as it is in the matte texture I think.