24 hours in with my base 2016 pro and really like it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamnotme, Nov 4, 2016.

1. iamnotme macrumors regular

iamnotme

I won't bother with performance specs because everyone knows it by now and there will be 7 million reviews in the next few weeks but I need to point out the following. I've "upgraded" from a 2014 13" mbp with same ram and storage and wasn't very excited because I wasn't getting a significant hardware update. Or so I thought..... I had to get a new machine because on my 2014, 80% of the keys are worn off which means I use the keyboard a lot. The keyboard on this thing, is absolutely fantastic in my opinion. It is light years better than on the 12" retina MacBook and I find myself feeling perfectly natural with it. No wobble at all, and travel feels more than it actually is. Yes the SSD is very fast, so much so that there is a significant difference in launching my VMs. The exact same VMs I had on the old machine.
    The CPU is faster despite the lower clock rate compared to the Haswell 2.6GHz and I'm not sure if you feel it or the machine feels snappier because of the SSD but it's probably a combination of the two. The iris 540 is a fairly significant upgrade as well from the 2014 and I was actually surprised by how much. I dunno if any of you nerds played with Open CL N Body Simulation sample in Xcode but on the 2014 it was less than half the speed....

My only complaint is the heat but I'm not really complaining, just commenting on performance :p
    It gets toasty. Much more so than the 2014 under load, despite it having a 15W TDP CPU. It's probably due to the new cooling setup. I haven't measured the bottom plate but I will. It get pretty hot.

I have a big Java and an Xcode project that I compile from star regularly and this does both roughly 20% faster than the 2014 and about 20% slower than out 12 core tower.

Attached Files:

2. Macalway macrumors 68020

I noticed the heat also. It's a weird thing, as it's not like it's running hotter, putting out more heat. it's just using the case.
    The touch bar model apparently has dual fans, but i'm guessing it's also a toaster.

3. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Well get ready for some backlash. Or people posting videos about how it sucks or is way too expensive.

I like mine a lot. I got it because I'm planning to do a post grad certificate when I finish up grad school and the iPad Pro was not suitibale for writing papers to me. I like the ability to use a trackpad or mouse when editing. I was also really surprised at the improved iGpu as well as I like to occasionally game.

In regards to the heat I also felt it. I had Civilization VI running and was swiping out to do other things in between turns for a couple hours and it got pretty hot. Didn't bother me though.

4. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the real world reviews and comparison.

5. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Interesting about the heat because Apple made a big deal about their redesigned fans and airflow that was supposed to better cool the unit. As for speed, I believe (if I recall correctly) there is a significant improvement on the benchmarks for this processor vs the old Haswell. Of course the very speedy SSD helps too.

6. viljamip macrumors regular

I guess the chassis getting hot just means that it indeed has improved cooling. The heat needs go somewhere and using the big block of aluminium as a heat sink helps with that.

7. iamnotme thread starter macrumors regular

iamnotme

I'll find an IT thermometer at work and measure it. It is definitely warmer under load than the 2014 was and I think the bottom plate might be thinner because it feels a bit more flimsy, but it could be just an illusion.

8. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Have you plugged in any devices to the USB C port, and are you facing the Wifi Signal drop as other people seem to be facing ?

9. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that this redesigned cooling system is "only" available on the 13" and 15" MBP with Touch Bar.

In the airflow video clip from Apple, you can clearly see how the cold air is sucked in from the sides of the MBR and pushed out the back. The MBP with Touch Bar have ridges/holes in the side to let the cold air in, but as far as I can see, the MBP 13 sans TB doesn't have these ridges/holes along the side?

It is not surprising, as the 13 Touch Bar and 15 has to dissipate much more heat, but I think they are clearly different systems.

While we're at it, only the MBP 15 has the split blade design for the fans.

10. keviig macrumors 6502

The non touch bar 13" is completely sealed on both sides. Was a bit disappointed to see that when I received mine. It seems to draw cold air in via the left grille under the screen (where the 2nd fan exhaust is on the Touch Bar model).

11. iamnotme, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

iamnotme thread starter macrumors regular

iamnotme

Lol I meant IR thermometer

All my USB devices work fine. Hdds, USB to serial with different chipsets, iPhone (doh). Haven't noticed any wifi issues at all. I have an older AC access point that never does more than 300mbps anyway which is exactly 5 times my internet speed so I will probably never know if there is an issue.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    I forgot a very important aspect of the machine. The space gray goes great with my bag and winter boots . The rest is irrelevant really.

12. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

Thanks, there seem to be issues with USB C devices interfering with 2.5GHz Wifi signals that people are talking about in other post. Thanks for your input :D

13. iamnotme thread starter macrumors regular

iamnotme

Well, we have just the tools for that at work. I can get the RF engineer to scan it with different devices plugged in.

14. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

OK, thanks for reporting that. Then they are definitely different systems regarding airflow.

15. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

That would be great :D
    I guess we wont find out till Monday ?

16. keviig macrumors 6502

Yeah there seem to be quite a bit more differences than Apple cares to let us know in the spec sheet.
    It does stay quite silent at full CPU load (16W usage according to Intel Power Gadget) but gets very noisy once you launch a game and the GPU generates heat as well (23-29W according to Intel Power Gadget). Getting the Touch Bar version is a bit tempting, as I hate fan noise.

17. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

Now I'm going to go off topic, sorry, but I do wonder if one could change to max frequency of the Intel iGPU with a Terminal command?

Lowering it like just 10% or 15% could take the top of the heat if you're lucky.

18. Macalway macrumors 68020

Oh my, maybe a big yes? Apple's fault- should have warned us. I have one, but was returning it, for other reasons.

To think that the 15W version might possible run hotter. Well, that would be something. Then again, who knows.

19. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

The fan does get noisy when playing a game. It was going almost the whole time I had Civilization running even when it was in the background. I can't imagine the touch bar version will be silent when doing the same.

20. keviig macrumors 6502

Yeah it is difficult to know what you get when they hold back on information like this. But I guess thats what we have our 14 day return period for!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2016 ---
    The Touch Bar model does have two fans and therefore two heatsinks and heat pipes, meaning it can soak more heat passively before the fans kick in. I'd be surprised if the Touch Bar isn't more silent than the non Touch Bar model. But silent when gaming probably won't happen in a laptop any time soon.

21. Macalway macrumors 68020

The base is looking a bit gimped.

22. keviig macrumors 6502

It does. I wonder if more differences between the two models will be discovered once reviews of the Touch Bar model arrives. Any news on when the NDA lifts?

23. iamnotme thread starter macrumors regular

iamnotme

We'll prolly play with it today. Who wants to work on Friday anyway. I'm not en electrical engineer but here is a lot of stuff inside apple's USB C to HDMI/USB A/USB C adapter, whatever it's called because it gets how. If there is a switching power supply in there and probably there is, that could cause interference but FCC testing would have caught that. Mind you The Note 7 smoulder edition passed all safety and regulatory tests and still exploded out of the market.

24. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

The problem more seems to be with third party hubs and dongles

So so far happy with the device ? Yes the fan runs when gaming, which can be expected, but any other disappointments ?

25. Mcdevidr, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. I suppose it could be quieter. Under my normal use of research, writing or browsing the web the fan is not audible even in a quite room. Hell to be honest if I hold the iPhone 7 up to my ear I hear more noise than I do the new MacBook.