24" iMac, MBP or PC Desktop and MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by izym, Aug 14, 2008.

1. izym macrumors newbie

Hello, this is my first post here, really nice site. Anyways, lets get to my question.

I currently have a gamer desktop (P5N-E SLI, E6600, 8800GTS 640MB, 4GB RAM) with a 22" widescreen monitor (Samsung 223BW) and laptop (Zepto Znote 6314w; T7200 processor, 7600 Go 512MB, 2GB RAM), both from around May 2007. When I bought them I did have a look on some Apple computers, yet I decided not to get one. I really regret that now, especially due to my recently bought iPhone forcing me to use iTunes, which just sucks on Windows. At that time I was gaming a lot more than I am now, yet I still play a few games (World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3 - Will play Diablo 3, StarCraft 2 and Spore when they're released) and I prefer them running smoothly at 60FPS. Therefor I need something with a proper CPU, GPU and amount of RAM. I originally got a laptop for school stuff and I just started at high school. Yet it turns out that a laptop might not really be that needed, except for exams. So here's the options I though of:

1) Get a 24" iMac and sell both of my current PC's (inclusive monitor). An iMac shouldn't be that hard to transport, note that I live about 500 meters from my school. It'd probably satisfy my gaming- and school needs and it sure would clean up my desk. It'd also be perfect for net parties. This is what I'm most likely to do at the moment. And by the way, do you think it'll get an update along with the MacBook updates?

2) Get a MacBook Pro with docking station and sell both of my current PC's (exclusive monitor). This would probably also satisfy my gaming- and school needs, yet not as clean desk as with the iMac and I'm not really that much into using laptops. I prefer a 20"-24" screen, therefor this wouldn't be perfect for net parties in my opinion, as I'm not gonna take the docking station and monitor to a net party.

3) Get a MacBook and sell laptop (keep desktop). If the rumors about the new one will have Intel X4500 graphics, it'd probably satisfy my gaming needs in an "okay" way. It sure would satisfy my school needs as its the easiest one to transport, yet not much easier than the MBP. Downside is that it's only a 13.3" screen; that just doesn't work out for me. Sure it'd be fine for exams, but then I'd have to do a lot of switching between computers (which sucks), as I'd have to game on my current desktop. This is what I'm least likely to do at the moment.

I'd buy an unofficial 4GB RAM kit no matter which I choose. Amount of hdd space doesn't really matter, as I've a 320GB extern hdd.

What do you think? And if I choose the iMac, should I just go for the 20" one, as its a lot cheaper? I'm not sure if I can afford the 24", depends on a lot. Weren't there some graphics update you could buy, or is that mac pro only?

2. shdowman macrumors member

I would go with the newest revision 24" 2.8ghz iMac.

I game as well (pretty much just WoW).

I have read benchmarks though showing this 2.8 to be almost 40% faster than the previous 24" 2.8ghz Extreme iMac.

I will be getting mine by this weekend and I will update you on its performance!

3. savvos macrumors regular

You aren't thinking of taking the iMac to school to do school work, are you? For what you want, you would need the 24" iMac (the 2.8Ghz with a 8800 GS graphics upgrade will give you the best game performance/price) which, while lighter than most desktops, will be a real PTA to carry to school and set up in class. Go to an Apple store and try picking one up. Net parties would be much more doable, though. If you get an iMac with the HD 2600 XT, you will be a little disappointed in its gaming performance coming from what you have already.

If you want the MBP, definitely wait until the upcoming refresh and the graphics card in the current ones (8600 M) will be a bit slower than what you are using on your desktop.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Keep the PC, put a Q6600 at 3.2 gHz, and then install OS X on it (buy a retail copy of Leopard, please). Then buy a MacBook Pro.

5. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I'd go for the IMac then try to find a used macbook for portability. It's very helpful just to be able to travel with the macbook and get wifi and various restaurants.

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I will never, ever, buy a PC again. It's not that I am a hater, it's just that Mac is worlds better than Windows. The interface is better, and much more stable. Plus I really miss all of the viruses and spyware! LOL! Buy the iMac! :apple:

7. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

the q6600 is really cheap at the moment besides the pc with the q6600 will eat the imac. Install os x on it and check out if you like it (with your current cpu). If you really like it try it with an overclocked q6600. Then you have a awesome game rig, good os x machine and you have enough money left for a mbp which is also good for gaming.

or.... keep the monitor and buy a quad core mac pro.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Keep your gaming rig and pick up a Macbook after you sell the notebook.

9. Googon macrumors member

If you game, I don't think a laptop would be a wise choice, honestly. Laptops are more for people who use their computing technology for school work, and stuff. iMacs are sort of the same, they are basically a laptop, but it has a bigger screen, no battery, a mouse and keyboard, and sits on your desk. However I suggest getting a Mac Pro. It looks like a PC tower, but offers better cooling, and more space for RAM, new video cards, hard drives, you get the picture. I don't think an iMac or a MacBook Pro can play the said games at a smooth 60fps, (definitely in full graphics...)

Hope I helped.

(I am a total Mac NOOB, but I know enough about computers to know that what I just said was valid.

10. izym thread starter macrumors newbie

As I said I'll only need an easy-transportable computer for exams, yet I might keep my current laptop and get an iMac. I've decided that if I get the iMac, its gonna be the 2.8 GHz one with graphics upgrade, and then maybe find some used intel macbook. I'll figure out as I've plenty of time before I really need a laptop.

Hackintosh on my desktop PC is not an option, as it seems like the S-ATA controller is not compatible with Leopard.

I'm pretty sure I'll be selling at least the desktop PC, and maybe keep the laptop for those few school things. Mac Pro is not an option for me, as it's simply too big (yes I've seen it in real life). Not that its huge, I'm just tired of tower computers.

I'll wait till I get some info on the performance from shadowman. About the 60 FPS it was maybe a bit overstated. I could easily live with about 40 FPS average. If its only 30 FPS average I really have to think it over.

Thanks for the answers, was really useful (especially the one with buying a used MacBook). :)

11. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

too bad your motherboard isn't supported, considering this I would go for a macbook pro but wait for the updates to come!

good luck

12. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

:p

Laptop + bigger screen + no battery + mouse and keyboard + on your desk = desktop

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

So buy a new mobo. The p5k-e is only $130 or so and the q6600 is $200. That's a lot less than an iMac - and a lot more powerful.

14. shdowman macrumors member

How do these hackintosh's work??

Is this something up for discussion? I haven't done any research on it.

15. belunos macrumors member

They're handy for helping you decide if you want a mac. Outside of that, they're buggy, prone to different apps not working, crash a lot, have horrible power management, and it can be a pain to update the OS when needed.

Don't get me wrong, I used my D620 as a hackintosh for a while and loved it like that, crashes and all. But in the end, I loved the mac interface so much I decided to buy the real deal. They really should have like a 'demo version' of OS X for PC people to try out

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Mine has no bugs other than no EFI.

Never had this happen.

Never had this happen.

My Q6600 shuts off two cores when the computer's under light use.

True, but considering I've spent about $1,000 for a machine faster than the entry-level Mac Pro, that's a fair trade-off, especially with how much easier the updates are becoming.

Search for the "merged hackintosh thread" for more info, or visit insanelymac.com forums.

17. izym thread starter macrumors newbie

This should be the one "ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP", right? Yet I might stay with my current CPU, not quite sure. Then I guess a wireless apple keyboard would work fine with my desktop pc?

And by the way I'd definitely classify iMac as a desktop computer, just with less cables.

18. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Laptop CPU and GPU, though...

19. izym thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, afaik only used because its smaller. That doesn't make it a laptop.

Anyways, I might go for a MacBook instead of iMac. Its not like my desk would get much cleaner with an iMac than it is now. Also my parents aren't quite happy about the idea of selling both computers, as they gave them to me like 1.5 years ago. Hac Pro (which I'd call my desktop pc if I get Leopard working on it) and MacBook would be fine.

20. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's what I have, but any of the p5k-e boards will work. Check the hcl for 10.5 (by google).

Bluetooth support is spotty.

21. 7031 macrumors 6502

Yeah. I'd agree with that. Probably the best way to do it really.

22. izym thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll probably do that, MacBook would still be able to handle a few games (the new one should be able to run WoW pretty okay).

23. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

iMac... i have a macbook.. and wished I had bought an iMac.

24. shdowman macrumors member

izym

So yeah, I got the 24" 2.8 IC2D Current Gen iMac this weekend. Didn't ahve much time to toy with it on WoW until tonight. I basically have most things turned up (if you want exact ingame video specs then send me a message) and set my /console maxfps to 60.

Went on a high end raid tonight and never dropped below 40 fps. Actually hung more between 50-60. This is coming from a first gen 17" MBP where I could barely hold onto 10-20 FPS.

It was pretty amazing. Plus it looks even more amazing on this huge screen!!!

So there is your answer :)

PS: and for those of you who are going to go on about....Macs aren't meant for gaming!! Well, when paying this much for a comp it should! Not to mention, some of us aren't all video pros. I have been a graphic designer for 9 years and only have had a mac in my house for 2. Yes I like to game a little I also do a lot of work on it as well. Be happy for those who are jumping aboard into the Mac world and wanting to have their cake and eat it too....like me :p

25. izym thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update shdowman, yet I think I'm going for the MacBook. I agree 100% with you on Mac's aren't for gaming. Gaming aren't why I'm getting a Mac, I'm getting it because I want to start developing for the iPhone, i really like OS X (it nearly works on my current laptop) and the programs available for it.