24" imac quad or 2.66 stock Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by newportmac, Aug 7, 2007.

1. newportmac macrumors member

They are about the same money.. the 24" is about 2300 for the exreme processor w/ 2gb of ram which I am assuming is the q6700.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

The extreme is the Merom XE X7900 @ 2.8Ghz. It is a dual core, not a quad. Penryn will bring quads (for notebooks), presumably to the iMac.

I would have to say dream on for the iMac having a Q6700 which doesn't match the 2.8 Merom XE in speed at just 2.66Ghz.

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Maybe That's Why They Stuck With Mobile Meroms

I did not know that. Could be the reason they stuck with Meroms so they could have top speed of 2.8GHz albiet with only 2 cores. That makes sense. Now I get it. :)

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Lol. I am not sure if that is why. But no mobile quad exists at the moment. Penryn will bring us 45nm quads for "desktop replacement notebooks." So I would imagine those would come to the iMac.

Heat wise, I don't think the iMac can handle a quad at this point. Especially with the size reduction.

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

... but aluminium makes for a great heat-sink! :D

7. newportmac thread starter macrumors member

Ok.. I am straight now.. thought it was the intel 6700 as they call that one extreme as well.. ok.. so I guess my question remains.. for home video editing should i spend 2300 for a mac pro with student discount or go 2300 for the new imac... for that mater.. any point in spending the extra money for the extreme processor over the regular 24"... oh.. and i have no monitor at this time worth 10 bucks.. its an old 15" samsung 570v...thanks very much.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Q6700 isn't an Extreme processor.

I'd take a look at the refurbished 2.66 GHz Mac Pro at $2,199.

9. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

i think i'm gonna buy an imac 24" 2.8ghz with 2gb ram and see if that does the job for me. if it doesn't i'll sell it, when the mac pro is worth its price.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you really need the extra 400 MHz? It's a much better deal to get a Mac Pro. Please don't buy Apple RAM.

11. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

If you have a display(s) get the Mac Pro. The iMac looks tempting. However I have two 24" LCDs that need feeding. Adding a 24" iMac would look pretty dumb as well. Plus I want some eight-core action and more than 4GB of RAM and more than 1 HD bay.

That is why I buy Pro. :D

12. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

Nope. It's still about heat (plus the possible inventory simplification, which isn't just the processors themselves but the chipsets, etc.). You can get Conroes that clock at 3 GHz (not counting overclocking) plus they come on a faster FSB (1.3 vs. .8).

This thread shows yet another problem with Intel's naming conventions. The name core 2 duo doesn't tell you anything about whether it is a mobile chip or not, nor does the extreme edition(XE) specify whether it is desktop or mobile (this is on top of the fact that they rebadge Conroes and Kentsfields as Xeons).

cheers.

13. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

better deal to get a mac pro? how is a one year old computer with no price reductions a better deal than a brand new imac? (i do not own a monitor)

and if i need the extra 400mhz, i wouldn't know until i got it. i don't feel like taking a chance though.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Quad cores, upgradeable, and starting at $1,899 refurbished.

15. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

can i buy refurbished machines from sweden?

16. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Just because it is brand new doesn't mean it will do what you want it to. What are you using it for? That is the real question. If you need it now and need to pump out tons of videos/images something that requires the power. The iMac is not a value for you.

Obviously the Mac Pro needs an update. However, the Mac Pro is runs circles around the iMac.

400Mhz. Meh. There is no chance to be taken. You aren't going to notice much of an increase. Not to mention if it produces more heat it could perform more like the 2.4 model.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That would depend on your Apple Store online.

18. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

well i would think refurbished macs would appear on the sweden store perhaps 1 time per month, and the chance of it being the model i want.... slim to none :)

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I apologize for not taking into account your location.

I don't see much of a benefit for the 2.8 GHz processor unless you live off of encoding using your computer and time is money. Saving minutes on a lot projects can add up but overall it's of no real benefit.

20. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

Add in the fact that the iMac has a slower FSB (although the RAM may be a little bit faster since it isn't fully buffered) and if your apps are sufficiently parallel, you'll gain by having 4 cores vs. 2.

cheers.

21. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

i just went ahead and bought an imac 24" 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 500gb hdd.

thanks for saving me some money. and thanks apple for making this decision so much easier (by not updating mac pro)!

22. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I was just thinking about this same question. I was looking at the 20/24" iMacs today in my Apple store and I have to admit I liked the 24", BUT at that kind of money I'd almost be curious about scrounging up some extra cash for a Mac Pro. I currently have a Windows PC that hasn't been touched in at least 3 months because I've been using my Jan. '01 MBP with a second monitor at my desk and taking it with me when necessary. I'd like to get rid of that Windows box and replace it with a Mac desktop, but don't know which way to go.

I do like how the Mac Pro is upgradable, but I'm not sure to what extent. I have never owned a Mac desktop machine. I know that the iMacs are stuck with what they've got for the most part aside from adding some RAM and probably hard drive.

I also have a couple of hard drives in my PC and a Radeon x1900xt w/512 RAM that I could flash to work with the Mac Pro, which would obviously be MUCH better than the video that comes with the iMac.

So is it worth it is the question? I could run my single 19" 4:3 LCD and maybe upgrade to a larger widescreen LCD in a few months. I've already got keyboards and mice to choose from so that's not a factor. I'm just a little confused on how the Mac Pro performs and how upgradable the CPU(s) is? I should also mention that I'm looking at the lower-end Mac Pro.

Thanks!

23. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

2.8GHz Model With 4GB Ram Is Only $2,254

OK. I perceive this as the wrong choice. If you had ordered the 1GB stick version and only added $250 for the 2.8GHz C2D (14% more money for 17% more power) total $2,049 and added two 2GB sticks (total 4GB) from OWC for $230 minus the $25 they give you for your 1GB stick it's a net $2,254. You don't spend $100 for an extra 180GB of HD space.

ndriver182: Buy the refurbished 2.66GHz Mac Pro for $2,199 and you will be far happier in the long run. It performs magnificently. You will love it. Don't pinch pennies and get the 2GHz model as it is far less power for only $300 difference.

24. weckart macrumors 68040

This would work if empezar lived in the US, which he does not, so those economics just do not apply.

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK800i/R1EJ Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

You can get RAM shipped to Europe though which is great because everything is so dirt cheap in America.