24" LED CINEMA DISPLAY - YES OR NO please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shoopaman, Nov 26, 2008.

1. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

Just a simple:

Yes = Will buy fo-sho
    No = No way Jo-se

Curious Mac-foo:D

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Get a display from another manufacture. There is nothing special about the new CD.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

4. bobdard macrumors regular

LMFAO.

Cmon guys, I agree with all the negative press about the glass screen, but it honestly isn't too bad in terms of glare when you're using it....

Now for professional work and colour accuracy, I understand. I also understand the lack of FW, but it seems like Apple is heading away from it....

5. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

The new display can only work with the new macbook/pro. It won't work with other previous Mac/PC.

So if you are thinking of using it down the road for other PCs you might have, you are out of luck. Limited compatibility.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Nothing about the glare. I can't even get to that point before deciding that it would be a bad purchase. You can get a different display that is just as good for the same price or a little better. The OP has one of the new MB so the mini port thing will not be a problem there. It seems though that you get a lot of nothing with it. So it has an iSight and some crap speakers you'll never want to use. Plus that black bezel is the worst. It looks like that stupid all in one sony thing.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had the money.

8. shoopaman thread starter macrumors 6502

shoopaman

You don't like it, You don't like it, don't buy it. ;)

geez~ gosh~ :D

question is a simple one, yah or nah :)
    intension was a simple one too. just wanted to find out how many of us want or not want what I want, do you want? or not want? does it tickle your toe or noe :D

oh~ you know it!!!
    i don't know what is worst, at this moment,
    having the money to buy but no where in sight :(

ps. i don't like buying it online...

9. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm not saying I want one, but there actually is something special about the new ACD: it's LED-backlit. Most desktop displays are not.

I still prefer the Dell 24" though. More adjustable, more inputs.

10. suburbia macrumors 6502

Too funny!

Definitely a no. Even if I wanted to, Apple apparently has excluded my 10-month old MBP as a companion for this 24" display.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Hell, Yes.

LED backlighting + H-IPS panel = Super vivid eye candy gorgeousness!

12. Garemz macrumors regular

NO

It's to expensive comapred to other 24" monitors

Needs to come down 300-400 still

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

No, unless money was not an object.

I really do not understand this monitor. It has an iSight... great, but so does the MacBook it's designed to plug into. Yay for repeating features I already have! It has speakers, which, while better than the ones in your laptop, will still not satisfy anyone who wants decent sound. Yay for a useless feature.

Incidentally, I wonder if the iSight and speakers will work on a non-Mac computer?

And this Apple monitor insanely expensive.

Yes, it's a good panel. Yes, it'd LCD backlit. But most users (I think) will choose a lower quality, lower cost, monitor from someone else, rather than this expensive Apple display. LED is all well and good, but it's not worth a $300+ premium imo.

All that said, I'd love to have a 24" iMac next to a 24" LCD cinema display. And I'll wager the new iMac will be designed to mesh perfectly with the new display. But when the display costs nearly as much as the iMac, and duplicates features, it's just not a smart buy...

About the only thing this monitor has going for it, imo, is the MagSafe capability. Not having to take your power cord out of your bag each time you return to your desk is a nice touch. But otherwise... bleh.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont know what your talking about, other 24" LED backlight displays like the samsung XL24 is around $1799-$2200 still and they only have an inferior PVA panel.

The apple cinema display 24" led is dirt cheap compared to other led backlit 24" screens for what you get. Dont forget the H-IPS panel.

I cant wait to get my hands on the 24" led ACD, I had a 23" ACD for 1.5 years and I tried to conserve the backlight since it has a ccfl lamp and I noticed that I have to put it at 6 notches from 0 instead of the 3 notches since last year due to the backlighting dimming. No more worries with the new LED backlighting probably can keep at near full brightness without dimming worries.

Not to mention the 23" ACD that I had took 5 minutes to warm up to its full brightness (even at 6 notches), now just the touch of the on button, you get full instant brightness.

15. MGLXP macrumors regular

No one has yet to prove that the panel used in the 24inch LED Cinema display is H-IPS. It could be *VA.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I like the display, but I wouldn't buy it unless I was 100% sure it was an IPS panel. If it is, then it worth it an any price less than a Dell 30"

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Even if apple's new lcd panels do use a PVA panel (which I doubt) it is still a steal as it only cost $899 and even with a student discount that comes down to $799 compared to the $2000 pva led backlit panels from samsung.

18. MGLXP macrumors regular

I agree...it's still a bargain because LED backlighting at a monitor of this size is still very expensive.

19. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

or your eyes simply could have gotten used to the brightness. I find this is what happened in my case.

For everyone who says it's too expensive: $899 is a typical Apple price. No one seriously expected them to sell it 300-400 cheaper did they? It's Apple, c'mon.

For those who say its dirt cheap: are you kidding me?! Maybe we're not Ted Turner rich like you but 899 for a 24" monitor LED or not isn't dirt cheap. Have you thought there is probably a good technical/component reason why other 24" LED monitors cost more than the Apple at 1799? Well, at that price there better be a reason why (they're better) and hence charge more.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah, but since I don't care about my color accuracy, last year I got a 19" Westinghouse monitor for $139. That's a $760 savings...

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would rather just use the macbook pro's 15" led screen than that crappy ass westinghouse monitor and dont waste my $139.

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Its a fact that ccfl backlighting dims every year, I have no doubt that it took much longer to warmup to the full brightness as to the first year of using the 23" ACD.

23. pnyc macrumors 6502

No. I don't like the design and I know I would hate the gloss. But I think it's a good higher level consumer choice especially if you want LED.