Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This is the most sane prediction I ever read :) And its true, just too many coincidences...

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Would be nice to see it on tuesday. Perfect for me, I have to revise all day so I will be able to drive into university, log onto the Apple website through my Uni's servers and get the student discount. So I really hope your'e right. I just hope the first batch don't have problems like the first batch of iPads did. That would be a ball ache.

ThisIsMe

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Amsterdam
That would be awesome. I really do wish they come out soon I will also be taking back my 27" iMac and rolling with the new iMac. Damit apple hurry the hell up lol :D

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
Can someone please explain to me why this is only for the MBPs and the iMacs and not the MacPros? I'm sure it's simple, but I'm confused why people are thinking it would be a much later refresh date for MPs. And why wouldn't the MP's be Ivy?

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
Can someone please explain to me why this is only for the MBPs and the iMacs and not the MacPros? I'm sure it's simple, but I'm confused why people are thinking it would be a much later refresh date for MPs. And why wouldn't the MP's be Ivy?

MacPros have used XEON processors (server class) that have the capability of multiple processor chips (that's how they get to 12 cores, with two 6 core processors in the existing MacPro), ECC memory, capability for LOTS of memory, etc. For many PRO's, processor throughput for complex tasks, like video transcoding and rendering, as well as large photo processing, is a major consideration when out fitting their workstations.

iMacs with Ivy's may be fine, even for Pro's, but that form factor does not provide convenience expansion. I supposed there will be external Thunderbolt card cage chassis that may allow some potential for extra monitors, disk arrays, video accelerator cards, etc.

But I for one would be happy to see a "pro" form factor with Ivy Bridge even without ECC et al, but with internal expansion capability, really cranked up processor speeds (there should be better cooling in a tower or mini tower).

And since I have an old Pro now (PwerMac G5 Quad) with the 30" display, I'd just as soon not have to pay for a 27" display I don't need right now ... I don't mind a desktop (or floor standing) disk array for video storage, but I'd like lots of internal memory as well.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
MacPros have used XEON processors.......But I for one would be happy to see a "pro" form factor with Ivy Bridge even without ECC et al, but with internal expansion capability, really cranked up processor speeds (there should be better cooling in a tower or mini tower)...

Thanks, edoates, for your explanation. So the Xeons are still aways out? Any indication when those will be available?

I am in a similar situation. I don't want an iMac, hate the form factor for my needs. Don't want a monitor I'm stuck with, and I need lots of room for hard drives.

I do heavy rendering "at times" when I render high-end video and when I export thousands of photos at a time with LightRoom for timelapses. A timelapse export takes days on my MBP.

However, I don't get paid as an editor, I am a cinematographer. So I'm not strictly in the MacPro market, but I need expansion the iMac's don't provide. (I currently have 16TB of Hard Drives stacked on my desk that I use docks to access, along with a eSATA RAID 0, and a plethora of other FW HDDs.)

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Thanks, edoates, for your explanation. So the Xeons are still aways out? Any indication when those will be available?

I am in a similar situation. I don't want an iMac, hate the form factor for my needs. Don't want a monitor I'm stuck with, and I need lots of room for hard drives.

I do heavy rendering "at times" when I render high-end video and when I export thousands of photos at a time with LightRoom for timelapses. A timelapse export takes days on my MBP.

However, I don't get paid as an editor, I am a cinematographer. So I'm not strictly in the MacPro market, but I need expansion the iMac's don't provide. (I currently have 16TB of Hard Drives stacked on my desk that I use docks to access, along with a eSATA RAID 0, and a plethora of other FW HDDs.)

There are new Xeons arriving as well, but because they are a different line and a different customer, they tend to have separate threads on Mac Rumors. There has been a lot of discussion and expectation for these as well. With the added worry of discontinuation rumours.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Would be nice to see it on tuesday. Perfect for me, I have to revise all day so I will be able to drive into university, log onto the Apple website through my Uni's servers and get the student discount. So I really hope your'e right. I just hope the first batch don't have problems like the first batch of iPads did. That would be a ball ache.

You have to do that in the UK? Pretty lame, in the US just have to go to the EDU store link.

DanPosMaytee

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Preston, England.
You have to do that in the UK? Pretty lame, in the US just have to go to the EDU store link.

Yeah you have to be on University the network, luckily at my University we can use "remote access" to use the network and if we launch IE it's through the Uni's servers so we can buy from home. As for me, I am going to pick it up from an Apple store which is around 2 hours drive away, rather that than wait a couple of days.

phonitron

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
I'm replacing an ageing PowerBook G4 with either a new MBP or iMac I haven't yet decided. The only thing is, if there were a release this Tuesday, I'd have expected MR or AI to have picked up something more concrete by now...?

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK

Anybody can select the EDU store from home if they are in school or uni, but the Higher Education discount that you get from logging in on your uni network in the UK is a bigger discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.