$25 in tax away from perfect Mac :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mossme89, Aug 25, 2009.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I'm sooooo close to getting the refurb 2.4GHz Uni MacBook Pro i've been saving to buy for more than 9 months. It's $1299, and i have $1350 in my bank account. So i go to buy and run into a major hurdle. I forgot about tax which jacks up the price to $1375. I'm not getting paid for a few weeks so this short $25 is really driving me crazy! :eek:

What sucks even more is that I need this for school, and my teachers recommended the 9600 GPU for video in Final Cut, not to mention i want to game some. ;) I looked online, and Maryland does not usually every have tax holdiays.

Can anybody help me out? I mean, even a 2-3% coupon code would help me get this. I am sooooo close!!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple doesn't do coupon codes. Try Amazon for no tax (but no refurbs) or MacMall for older models (tax).

3. Arn1499 macrumors member

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Or mow someone's lawn.

5. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then what's this box for?

[​IMG]

6. belvdr macrumors 603

I was just getting to reply with the same thing.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Those are for the promo codes that Apple doesn't do. :rolleyes:

They will do an email promotion from time to time but I've never seen a coupon for a % off.

8. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Can't you go to another state with cheaper taxes and get one from there?

9. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

You could sell something on eBay?

That is how I get money for new toys, like Snow Leopard. I know it is only $30 but that is $30 I don't have to take away from the family so I just sell stuff I'm not using.

Just a thought.

10. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

That's another good idea, I just sold a whole bunch of tech (and still am selling my Nokia) to get a 3GS. Best way to get some quick cash.

11. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol, then why would they have a promo box if they don't have promo codes? thats just stupid

My parents wont let me use ebay. A couple times i impulse bought from sketchy sellers, and when i sensed the listing/seller seemed a little off, i refused to pay (i even contacted the seller!), and that caught up with me and i got banned. Plus, i dont really have anything to sell.

I'm thinking what i might do is have it shipped to my grandparent's house in Delaware. But i dont see them until the end of September, so I would almost get it sooner if i just wait for my paycheck. *sigh*

12. yoyomaster macrumors regular

You could try and borrow the money from your parents and tell them you'll pay them back as soon as you get your next paycheck, since you said you need it for school that might help you out in the persuasion process.

13. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Borrow the $25!

And I don't want to be a misery guts, but do you really want to completely empty your account? Might you not need money in the next 2 weeks?

14. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I know macs are cool and all, but do you really want to ZERO out your bank account for it?

If the teachers recommend it for a piece of software, maybe your school has a buying program? Might want to check that out...

**EDIT**
    Whoops, just saw instaxgirl's post above me... but I agree 100%.

--rob

15. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

well, this is my checking account. I still have a savings account with $1500+ that I don't touch. I pretty much opened my checking account with the intention of having a place for the $ to sit while I gather enough $. It's not smart to have $500 in cash on you , you know!?

I mean I've always been a windows user, but with XP security issues and such, Windows Shista (not a typo, it's my families nickname For Vista) was the final straw to make me want to get a mac.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

17. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

18. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

In his OP He said he's soo close to buying a REFURB Macbook Pro.

19. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Ok so you have a savings account that you don't touch? Why don't you pull out the required funds and just put it back when you get paid. Thats what it is there for. I understand you don't want to touch the money but if all that is holding you back is a measly $25, you should just pull it out.

Hate to say it but you didn't give all the facts to begin with!

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

in this case it's justified to borrow 25 bucks from your savings account. but keep in mind you might want apple care, mouse, labtop bag or such as well.

an alternative would be getting a refurb MBP 13" (for $999 or so) if you can live with a glossy 13" screen. a lot of people can.

21. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

When I say I don't touch it, I mean I don't touch it. My parent's say it's for college, and since I am a minor on the account, and my parents are custodions, the bank won't let me withdraw. Believe me, if there is a way around the system, I would go after it.

For reference, I'm 16 but am taking HS engineering, computer science, and Video editing classes.

22. pprior macrumors 65816

If you can't come up with $25, you have no business buying such a machine.

23. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I disagree. I commend the young man for scratching and saving to make enough to buy what he wants. I think it is awesome!

24. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I do agree there, and I think it's stupid to say people who need to save up for a bit "have no business" owning or doing anything.

PS: I'm 15 and I've brought myself a iPod Nano, a MacBook, a iPhone 3G, a Nokia 5800, and am soon buying a iPhone 3GS... Am I awesome too? :p

25. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I would have said more that his school has no business insisting that a 16 year old buy such an expensive machine. When you said "school" in your original post I assumed you meant you were going to college.

I would have expected the high school to provide machines for the pupils. That's what mine did.