Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
yenko said:
Lighten' up, man. Did you see the smileys? I'm not trying to get on the radar or your nerves. Your reaction is beginning to frighten me! :mad:

I'm sorry you took it that way.

Careful, or else you might find that for some reason it takes you 1000 posts to get an avatar instead of 500... ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think it should all be automated on a gradual scale instead of being all-or-nothing. Your avatar size can be automatically maintained proportional to your post count, with a rate of 10 pixels per post. After your first post you can have a 3x3 pixel avatar. After 10 posts you have 100 pixels to work with, so that's 10x10. After 250 posts you have 2500 pixels, or 50x50.

You could set your avatar to any image within the size you have currently earned, and set it to stay as is or scale proportionally larger as you post.

Mr. Anderson's avatar would be 452x452 pixels! Hmmm, maybe that rate is a bit high. :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Good grief, there is more spamming in here from those with 'tars than those without! :p

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity

Well, it turns out i have 260 posts. This thread is the only reason I bothered to look. In all honesty, I wonder why people place so much on the need for an avatar. If you are really here for the community, I would think that pictures and titles and post counts would be something that you fall into as a sort of "oh wow, have i really spent that much time here?" type of thing.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Doctor Q said:
I think it should all be automated on a gradual scale instead of being all-or-nothing. Your avatar size can be automatically maintained proportional to your post count, with a rate of 10 pixels per post. After your first post you can have a 3x3 pixel avatar. After 10 posts you have 100 pixels to work with, so that's 10x10. After 250 posts you have 2500 pixels, or 50x50.

You could set your avatar to any image within the size you have currently earned, and set it to stay as is or scale proportionally larger as you post.

Mr. Anderson's avatar would be 452x452 pixels! Hmmm, maybe that rate is a bit high. :)

Adjust it to 1 pixel per post tracking clockwise around. This would put Mr. Anderson at roughly 143x143. You could set an avatar and have it slowly revealed as you post. Newbies get to start off with a dot at their first post, but they get to choose the color of the dot...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Doctor Q said:

:eek: With my 12 inch PowerBook I'd pretty much only get to see an avatar and no text!

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
edesignuk said:
What did I say to you about 12" screens? :p

- that i'd only get to see a huge avatar and no text? :confused: :p

Ahhh but I love my BabyBook.
Blame Dixons for my lack of ACD...

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
I like me avatar. It is nice. It fits my personality quite well, I think. Kinda bland, but yet it reasures me knowing that I will have the same one daily.

And to whoever asked about demis getting avatars, I have 300 posts, therefore, no avatar.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Not that this would ever happen, but i'd be cool if next to your post count, it displayed your average words per post. Instead of 500 posts you'd need something like 25,000 words. It'd certainly cut down on the one liner spam posts. Of course this would cause it's own problems such as Charles Dickenson-like posts (He got paid by the word) e.g: The new iMac, being clad in a luminously beautiful casing, exibiting all those properties which a computer ought while concurrently excluding all of those properties which a computer ought not to have, was nice. But in the end, I think it's pretty good the way it is. I'm not sure I'll ever hit 500, but maybe oneday.

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
well its been a year ( nearly) for me and i have 47 total posts, that means I need 9 more years to get an avatar LOL :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.