256gb SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i0s, May 22, 2010.

1. i0s macrumors newbie

So I've exhausted myself researching these ssd's.

I'm looking for a drive no less than 200gb to store the os, programs, and media on.

I DO NOT want an intel because the size is too small and I don't want to wait 7 months for the new ones to come out.

I've heard of the corsair p256, crucial m225, and ocz vertex.
    I need one that won't drastically degrade over time, or require some weird firmware upgrade work around.

I will not be using boot camp or partitioning anything for windows.

It also needs to be under $700 which all of the above are.

If anyone can help me choose from those three or from any alternatives, it would greatly reduce my stress.
    Thanks in advance.

2. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

You should include the Crucial C300 256GB drive in your research. BHphoto.... sells it for $660. I'm using the 128GB version and have had zero issues. It has native GC so it shouldn't slow down over time.

cheers
    JohnG

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OWC 240GB look pretty tempting for me, great speeds! Not sure about degrading though as OS X lacks support for somethings like TRIM

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Corsair recently came with the new F series, which has sandforce controllers, might be worth checking out

6. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Not being a bitchh but I read pretty bad things about Crucial C300 RealSSD's latest firmware. Apparently its bricking the drives right and left. Even Anand Shimpi from Anandtech.com broke his.

7. Morley7 macrumors member

I would suggest an optibay and having a regular hdd as a place to store media. That way you can get much more storage for cheaper and still get the speed of an ssd by getting a smaller one. If that is not an option then I would look real had at the OWC mercury pro. I have seen really good reviews about it. It is also competitively priced.

8. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention I also don't want to do the opti bay option.
    Any other opinions?
    What are the major differences between the above? I know the c300 and m225 are different sata numbers, but that wouldn't make a difference to my MacBook pro, would it?

9. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

It would, because the C300 is much faster than the M225. Its not because of the 6 Gbps SATA bandwidth of the C300, but because it has faster read / write speeds. Check benchmarks on Anandtech, they are very detailed.

10. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

When will the new corsair f series be out? And what's the price looking like for the f240?

11. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I have both: The C300 is indeed a fair bit faster and nearly the same price (128 and 256GB only) so it's a no-brainer to go C300 if you decide to go with crucial.

12. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

I am too on the way to buy new MBP 17" and the hard drive is a big think
    I know that is too early to buy the SSD its too expensive (the price will drop)
    and its look like the final vertion is not out yet.
    but the reson at the moment for me is the quiteness of the drive and the less heat it will use and of corse the battery

13. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

How does the c300 fair against the others listed?

14. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

I have a C300 265GB and I am very happy about it.
    The firmware bricks never happened with any Mac's was only with people using Gigabyte/Asus motherboards that supported Sata3, the MBP only has Sata2 which is already pretty fast.

My xbench score is above 400 even when the drive is full. I had speedissues with Fw1 but they are completely gone from the moment I used FW2

You should investigate pretty closely and there is a thread that compares speeds of SSD drives so I suggest you to take a look there as well.

15. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know when the new force series are coming out? I can't seem to find any info on release date or price.

16. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

17. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

And has anyone heard anything about the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro?
    Basically its down to that and the c300.

18. Morley7 macrumors member

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp19.html

Here is a comparison of speeds of different SSDs. I Really think you should go with the OWC.

If you read down to the bottom they link to another article that tells how the OWC avoids degration so well. That seems to be the thing that most people are worried about. As far as speed it is super fast. I have looked around and this just seems like a no brainer to me. It looks perfect.

19. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

I just looked at that article actually.
    But then I read elsewhere that it had major degradation. So many mixed opinions.

But it's definitely between those two.

20. Morley7 macrumors member

I have a feeling that once you get one you will be happy either way. So I wouldn't stress too much over it.

21. i0s thread starter macrumors newbie

Would both come with the updated firmware?
    Or would I need to do that myself?

22. cyclical macrumors regular

Any Sandforce-based SSD should be a good choice: e.g. OCZ Vertex 2, OCZ Agility 2, OWC Mercury Extreme...

23. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

No way to really tell not that it matters. No matter what, at some point of your ownership of the SSD you'll definitely want to flash the firmware; so you might as well learn how (not that it's hard at all).

24. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Retailer supplied drives likely have rev 0001. Just guessing here but I would suspect Crucial supplied drives would have 0002. I suspect OWC drives will have the latest firmware. Both appear to have similar read/write speeds.

Note: Updating the firmware does require a Windows PC. It's a minor hassle once you know the sequence. Doing it the first time can be a bit of a headbanger.

cheers
    JohnG

25. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz