Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2010
You absolutely need a PC?
I though you could just burn it on to a disc on osx, then hold "c" or something at startup and flash it? No?

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
I though you could just burn it on to a disc on osx, then hold "c" or something at startup and flash it? No?

Intel drives flash this way, but not most others. You'll need bootcamp or a dedicated Windows PC to flash other drives.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

I posted this question on the crucial ssd forum and someone responded that the MBP could flash the drive. Don't know the process........... but would assume it involves something similar to what you suggested.

JohnG

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
That is exactly how you flash the C300. You have the flash the C300 BEFORE installing any OS because it formats the drive before flashing. I did it fine on my 13" MacBook Pro.

Intel drives flash this way, but not most others. You'll need bootcamp or a dedicated Windows PC to flash other drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.