Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I tried using Safari for awhile when I switched to Mac, but all in all I prefer Firefox over it. Safari windows seemed awfully narrow, amongst other criticisms.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I use Safari on my iMac at home and Firefox on the PC at work.

I get along fine with Safari, but Firefox is a great web browser.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Safari

I cant stand the ugly buttons in Firefox. I try other browsers and always end up in Safari. Shiira is my second favourite browser but it is currently too unstable.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
Safari as my primary browser. Camino for the odd site I use which won't play nice with Safari!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Which uses less memory? I can live with a less integrated feel if I don't get pageouts with 2 GB of RAM.

Not very scientific but i just opened Forum Spy on both Safari and Firefox

Firefox 14.70% CPU, 54.03 MB of RAM
Safari 4% CPU, 37.65 MB of RAM

Of course your results will vary but for me Safari is more integrated, faster, uses less resources, better looking.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
For my expereince there really isnt that much difference in speed between camino and safari. Overall camino probably has it but not by much and on some sites safari beats it.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
why? op, why? do a search, u have a bunch of posts with same question. please, do a search. there is even a poll.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
BonEcho blows all the other browsers out of the water for speed and stability. It's FireFox 2.0 optimised for Intel Macs.

UserofMacOSX

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
Luray, VA
I have FireFox only because I kept hearing how great it was. And now it is just sitting in the Finder gathering dust. I use Safari for everything, I can't stand how ugly and PCish FireFox is. It's basically just IE.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I have FireFox only because I kept hearing how great it was. And now it is just sitting in the Finder gathering dust. I use Safari for everything, I can't stand how ugly and PCish FireFox is. It's basically just IE.

why is that?

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
Firefox, only because the rich-text editing tools like TinyMCE don't work that well with Safari. I prefer to stick with a browser than switch between them. If it wasn't for that, I'd use Safari.
On my iMac, I have BonEcho with Aqua widgets, but hacked it to have the firefox icon and say firefox instead of bonecho.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I prefer Firefox but it seems to have stability problems for me. I all too frequently have to shut it down and restart it.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Not very scientific but i just opened Forum Spy on both Safari and Firefox

Firefox 14.70% CPU, 54.03 MB of RAM
Safari 4% CPU, 37.65 MB of RAM

Of course your results will vary but for me Safari is more integrated, faster, uses less resources, better looking.

Use safari for a week without ever quitting it. By then it's usually using over a gig of real memory even without any pages open. I love safari, but there's no doubt it's a memory hog and it has to have a memory leak or something.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I use Safari the vast majority of the time, the only time I use firefox is when a site doesn't work with Safari and I've really never had that happen. (I had to check to see if I even had firefox on my computer)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
The Bon Echo alpha1 beats anything on stability?
BonEcho is the codename for gecko 1.8.1 branch, there is a new BonEcho build every day, he was talking about the BonEcho build that was built around the time of firefox 2.0 build, so essentially, that BonEcho is the same as firefox 2.0

liks this
picture1xr7.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.