27" Cinema Display = let down

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Jul 27, 2010.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Smaller screen real estate

Glassy screen

No AG option

Ugly black bezel

C'mon  give us BTO options..

please :D

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

What the hell did you THINK we were getting? I was pleasantly surprised to see it was about 2/3 what I thought they were going to charge.

3. cube macrumors G5

Apple displays just get ruled out because of the lack of connectivity. No need to look at the rest.

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Specs and a matte display option are more impt than price IMHO

- the LEAST best, I thought we would get 27" with a AG option
    - at BEST, 32" matte/AG display, with protrait rotation stand, all alu enclosure to match all alu MP, FW ports

5. psychometry macrumors regular

Not a big deal. Unlike the Mac Pro, there are plenty of other manufacturers out there who make better and cheaper displays at a wide range of specs. I really cannot imagine why anyone would buy an Apple display when there are so many better products out there at cheaper prices.

6. cujimmy macrumors member

I have never, ever seen or heard of a cinema with a 27" screen.

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Dell has one, a 27" U2711, same size and resolution, wider color gamut but is costs a little bit more but also includes a 3 yr warranty making it a better value

8. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Why not run a single, calibrated matte display alongside a 27" glossy? Best of both worlds, that's what I plan on doing.

9. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

My main thought is going back to apples patent application for a hyper-reality 3D display.

If that is going to replace the 30" display and become a flag ship 30"3D ACD then I can forgive the 27" as it will inevitably become the middle of the range display.

But if the 27" is all they have to give then I have to put my hands in the air and ask 'What the heck is going on with Apple these days'.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why? Apple doesn't give you any other options for their other ACDs. All glossy, all glass, all black bezel (which btw, I like) and none of them have BTO options.

11. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I love the new screen... will be upgrading both of my 24" displays over time.

12. BobHail macrumors 6502a

13. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

MBP 15 & 17's have AG BTO. Why not the iMac's and 27" Cinema?

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, their laptop line has the ability but not their ACDs.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but apple has never offered a BTO/anti-glare screen for their monitors. Can they? Yes. Should they? Yes. Will they? No.

15. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

16. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Price? I have to think Apple is getting a smokin deal on these panels. Although I'm sure that since it's the same panel as used in the 27" iMac it gains some important economies of scale that you wouldn't get with a 2560x1600 panel aimed at a stand alone display which would clearly be a very niche market. Given the iMac is a consumer product, a 16:9 aspect ratio makes a lot more sense. Since this display is built off the same panel, it obviously inherits the same aspect ratio.

A 27" 2560x1440 IPS LED backlit panel for $1000 seems like fantastic value to me... It seem amazingly good value for an Apple display... how does that compare with other LED backlit IPS display options out there? I suspect it's very competitive.

17. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well if specs and matte display are the most important things to you, could I also venture to assume that having an Apple-branded monitor sitting on your desk doesn't matter, either?

There's lots of third-party alternatives available that give you a matte display and better connectivity on similar IPS-based display panels.

And for months, all rumors were pointing to the 27" ACD being practically identical in spec to the 27" iMac's built-in display. So to me, this isn't a shocker...

But with that said, I'm pretty shocked Apple unveiled the new 27" ACD for $999. I was betting it was going to cost more...

18. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Here's the closest competitor at $100 more without the camera, usb, speakers, etc...

[​IMG]

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple's 24" Display is stunning and I want it, the problem is I have no use for it since it only has the darn Mini Display port connection, which no one supports as of now.

Only the HD 5870 Eyefinity Edition & HD 5970 can support it.

20. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

But with naturally, more user controls to fine-tune color. And more flexible video input options. And BTW, the Dell also has a built-in USB hub. But yes, no camera nor internal speakers - but that's really not a deal breaker for me.

21. cube macrumors G5

And the Dell displays over a billion colors. The Apple, less than 17 million.

22. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20011766-37.html?tag=mncol;title

It looks like the 30" is going away. But its still $1799.:eek: It also seems that the 24" is being discontinued too according to the article.

23. sananda macrumors 68020

Then you have not visited some of the multi-screen cinemas in London.

24. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I'm not being ass but just wondering, since this is a new monitor, how do you know that the older Dell has a wider color gamut?

25. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Agreed... they most likely use exactly the same LCD panel.