27" Cinema Display worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjahshik32, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Hey guys, I've owned the 24" LED ACD in the past (but sold it) and now I have a dual monitor setup with an NEC 23" and a samsung 24" HDTV (main monitor) and I kind of want to get rid of both and just install the 27" on my arm. What do you guys think? Is the 27" worth it?

I've been the apple store many times to play with the 27" monitor BUT to me the 16:9 thing kinda puts me off. Perhaps the display doesnt look as massive as it would at home? I like how long the display is but is the height (viewing distance) respectable? It seems too squashed down to me.

2. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

I was looking into the ACD as well; hoping to upgrade from a 22" Acer that was a few years old.

While I found it to be a great monitor, I wound up returning it in the long run. In the end I wound up going with the Dell U2711. I found the color depth to be far better than the ACD. Plus, through some deals you can catch every now and then on the net, I was able to get it for $720 with free shipping.

3. dimme macrumors 65816

I have never had good luck with apple displays. They make great computer but they are lacking in the display field. Get yourself a good Dell, Hp Or NEC display. Or if you really want to treat yourself to the best check out Eizo.

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I just found a dell coupon that expires next monday ($275) off the U2711. The price comes out to $825 with free shipping.. That is a great deal but I keep thinking in my head that I might as well just get the 27" Cinema Display with student discount. Decisions decisions! :mad:

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I know what you mean. I had a 24" ACD (when it first released) and it was perfect, no stuck/dead pixels, worked perfect but sold it waiting for the 27" acd. Just before the 27" ACD was released, I bought the 24" ACD again because it was much cheaper BUT I couldnt find one without stuck pixels! I got it exchanged about 3 times and was left with no luck.

One thing that is putting me off is such a big display along with the resolution, I'm not bound to find a 27" ACD without a stuck pixel. I just get tired of taking the display back. I know with Dell they offer the no stuck pixel policy.

The only thing that is making me want a 27" ACD is the LED backlighting but the Dell utilizes a WCCFL lamps that does give a much deeper color space. I supposed LED doesnt dim much if at all over time (is what attracts me) as well as the instant on.

6. finalcut macrumors 6502

After many months of thinking yes or no, I decided to give the 27 inch a go and bought. I am a passionate photographer and I have to say that Aperture on that screen is awesome.

The screen is so large that I can spread Aperture and still have space to have a small Firefox window if I have to search for something, or simply browsing my Mobile Me account.

I was looking for a dual monitor and nothing looked as good as the Apple display. Personally, I have no negative side for that screen. You have to know that my monitor is in the basement and got no light (sun) coming from a window. So I have the best conditions for that monitor.

I only have the monitor for 3 days now and I can't believe I lived without it before hehe

7. Ashok0 macrumors regular

I bought a DELL U3011 and immediately returned it. Inputs? Check. 30 inches? Check. Good deal? Check. Sadly, I found the antiglare coating on the U3011 *horrible* to use. All the DELL monitors have a very strong "sparkle" effect when you have light colors on the screen.

I RMAed it and bought the Apple LED Cinema Display 27" and its the best monitor I've ever owned. :D

8. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Got the 27in ACD today, and its amazing!!! :D

I had a 27in iMac before I returned it and got a mac pro, but I like the ACD screen even more. I had a Dell u2311h but returned it yesterday. The text looked fuzzy and display looked grainy.

So happy I went with the ACD, a lot of money but ultimately worth it.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 I stated in another thread how at my old job people used to complain about the sparkle all the time and we gave them a choice between the new dell LCD's w/ sparkle or a CRT monitor.

Aside from that I have dual 27inch displays and couldn't be happier. I adore these monitors. They are flawless and the picture is second to none.

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Maybe I just got massively lucky then, but my 27" Apple Cinema Display (first one I got) hasnt got a single stuck or dead pixel touch wood. Maybe thats out of the norm, but I inspected the entire screen on a variety of backgrounds (just to be 100% sure), and not a single stuck or dead pixel on the screen.

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

With my luck, I'll probably end up exchanging it 3-4 times. :(

12. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep my 1x23" + 1x 24" monitor setup or do the 1x27" cinema display... It sure would be sweet hooked up to the mac pro though!

13. CyberCat macrumors member

I would stay with what you have unless you have a good reason to change. I recently sold my dual 23" ACDs for a single 30" ACD. While I love the 30", I feel like I just lost too much desktop real estate and am ultimately less productive. On the upside though HD movies and games are incredible on a larger monitor. I'd say it really comes down what your use case is.

14. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I've decided to just stick with what I have. I like the 2x monitor setup. :D

Thanks guys for your inputs! Perhaps I'll upgrade in the future.

15. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Damn you! Now I got the monitor swirling in my head again. LOL.

16. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

[​IMG]

Here's mine and I got a nice huge desk too! That 27" would look so sweet there in the corner.

17. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

Great Mac Pro setup. I thought about Mac Pro when I got my Alienware, but I wanted a gaming desktop. I am thinking of doing the 27" ACD with the Macbook Air as a dekstop like setup.

18. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Funny story, I just went to my local Apple store to pick up a 27" but they were sold out! Someone just bought the last one. I have another Apple store 15 minutes away from there BUT I think fate is telling me not to get one. :(

As the guy went to check in the back, I was thinking twice about it but I guess the decision was made for me. LOL.

On the other hand, I was playing with the 15" hi resolution macbook pro and am absolutely in LOVE with it!

19. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

just go get it handled, jashhhhhh. u know you won't regret it. sounds like you'd get more play out of it than simple business user me. good luck, bro.

20. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I sold my 24" ACD on Monday, and my 27" ACD arrived on Tuesday. I must say... this is one fine piece of equipment. Also, I told myself I would wait until they came out on the refurb store, and they are there now. $850 is a much bette price, and you still get the 1 year warranty. Mine is flawless.

21. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

BENJMNS, how are you liking the MBA + the 27" combo? Is the MBA fast enough??

22. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

mine's the 13 maxed out and it's plenty fast. i can't imagine needing anything faster for the time being. the acd 27 is made to work well with the mba me thinks. not much cord clutter with the three wire setup. i like how i can plug the keyboard direct to the monitor and the ipad charges even when the computer is off when connected to the acd of course.

quiet. instant-on. sleep. quick boot. just works.

23. cburton04 macrumors member

The high res matte screen is amazing on the mbp.

24. Ashok0 macrumors regular

jjahshik32,

I had a hard time myself deciding if I wanted 1x27" or a 3x24" Eyefinity setup. Eyefinity is cool for FPS games and all, but I really love my 27" for watching Blu-Ray Discs, and there's still TONS of real estate for games. Plus imho isometric games like Dragon Age play better on 1 monitor. Looking back, I'm glad I went 1x27", and hey, I can always buy another one, right? :D