Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Few questions:

1) Is there any way to use this display on a PC (alienware) with a display port connection? Would the camera on top work? speakers?

2) If I buy the older cinema 27 with display port, what am I missing? I have a macbook air display port, but Im wonderng what I'd be missing compared to the new display with thunderbolt?

3) Also, am I reading this right, or does the Mac Pro NOT work with either of these?

4) I see the older model on Amazon for the same price..no discount. Is there a better place to buy the display port version? Or is there an adapter for the thunder version?

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
There is (or was) the Apple Cinema Display in the refurb; and if you have a student discount it comes out to be $850?

Fastball32

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
Few questions:

1) Is there any way to use this display on a PC (alienware) with a display port connection? Would the camera on top work? speakers?

Yes, it should work on a PC with a MDP port graphics card, also boot camp.

2) If I buy the older cinema 27 with display port, what am I missing? I have a macbook air display port, but Im wonderng what I'd be missing compared to the new display with thunderbolt?

You will have a VGA camera (480) and not the HD 720 that the newer thunderbolt displays have. Also the newer thunderbolt displays have Ethernet and FireWire ports. You cannot daisy chain a thunderbolt accessory, which includes a second display (more pertinent to higher end MacBook pros and mac minis).

3) Also, am I reading this right, or does the Mac Pro NOT work with either of these?

The current Mac Pros do not work with Thunderbolt displays, sux.

4) I see the older model on Amazon for the same price..no discount. Is there a better place to buy the display port version? Or is there an adapter for the thunder version?

If you can get a good deal on Craigslist or eBay, then you can get lucky. No adapters that would allow a Thunderbolt Display to be compatible with older Macs with display ports.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
After looking around a little, I'm more looking at the Mac Mini Core i7 7200 etc upgraded a bit and adding thunderbolt 27 as the display...its around $2000 for all, and to me thats the same price as a macbook pro but this would include the 27 display which to me is way better than a 15" laptop.

It appears the mac mini is pretty powerful for its size. I'm only going to be using apps lke imovie, iphoto, etc anything on apple not anything too intense. could I add an SSD myself? I dont want a 256mb SSD dont need it.

siritalks

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
For an extra few hundred dollars you could get a better spec'd Macbook Pro and a Thunderbolt display I believe, then you have a laptop and a desktop essentially. That's what I did anyway. Mind you, I'm not that up on how good the Mac Minis are nowadays.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Few questions:

1) No.

2)You'd be missing a few ports (ethernet, speakers) and the speakers, and you'd be using a lower quality camera.

3) Mac Pro will work with the LED Cinema Display as it has the Mini DisplayPort, but not the Thunderbolt as the Mac Pro has no Thunderbolt port.

4) If you're asking about using the MiniDisplay monitor with a computer that has a Thunderbolt port, no adapter is needed, since it's the same port.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
If you are going to spend $2K on a Mac mini with a 27" screen, why not just get the 27" iMac for the same price or less? Then you can get an even faster i5 QUAD core processor and it includes a wireless magic mouse (or magic trackpad), wireless keyboard and DVD burner. Also includes a substantially faster graphics processor and a faster and larger stock hard drive. Just my two cents worth! Cheers!

James

Last edited:

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Option 2:

I order the last gen 27 cinema display port and connect it to my 2011 Macbook AIR with an external keyboard and magic mouse..thats a lot cheaper. Am I crazy spending 850 on a refurb or 950 on one from amazon etc?

What would I be missing vs the thunderbolt version?

Last edited:

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
I may order a last gen cinema and connect to my 2011 MBAIR...external keyboard and mouse and im in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.