27" imac or mac mini, you choose...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rb5505, Dec 9, 2010.

1. rb5505 macrumors member

looks like an easy one to decide, but help me......

i can get this brand new unopened 27" imac from fall of '09 for 1236 w/tax (closeout at retail store)...
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iMac-MB9...1847394&sr=8-1

OR

a new mac mini for 613 + 180 for viewsonic 2450 21.5" monitor + 65 for 4 gb ram upgrade to go to 5gb = 905 w/tax

which would you go for and why?

thanks.

2. drs6222 macrumors newbie

Depends on why YOU need it.

Describe WHY you need a computer and we can help.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Don't fool yourself; pick yourself. It your computer, you will be using it, you need to decide.

If you want help pointing out the differences between then two, then please make sure you say that so (if I don't end up reading this thread again), someone else can point it out for you. :)

But leave the final decision to yourself!

4. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Don't listen to him, he has a PC
    He thinks Stevie B of M$ is a hotty
    Listen to me and his Steveness.... You need the iMac

5. rb5505 thread starter macrumors member

i only asked "what would you go for and why?" i can read the tech differences on everymac.com. i just want opinions of the two. obviously no one note or several notes will force me to one or the other. i already know because of the store downcost the bang for the buck (i buy at cost) is with the imac by a mile. but, i'm just asking opinions of each model. the only sure thing is mac and has been for 20+ years.

6. rb5505, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

rb5505 thread starter macrumors member

pc? ewwwwwwwww.......never for me.

7. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Mac Mini's are over priced, under powered.
    iMac is the way to go
    If you work out the cost per what you get, the iMac is cheaper

8. josh1231 macrumors regular

These two machines aren't even in the same ballpark.

On one you are getting a top of the line 27" display that is amazing, and on the other you are getting a crappy 21.5" display that will not look half as good. I bought a 24" HP monitor to use as a side display for my 27" Imac, I had to take it back because side-by-side, the quality difference in the two was incredibly noticeable, the HP looked horrible in comparison.

I would like to have a Mac Mini, however at that price the extra $300 is a no-brainer. You're getting a faster machine with a much better monitor. The monitor upgrade alone is worth more than twice the price difference between the two.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Oh, okay :eek:
    In that case, I'd go for an iMac. First of all, the keyboard and mouse from Apple is pretty expensive when added together (I'm not sure how much it is, but I assume $140 for both). You also get a much more powerful machine with the iMacs (graphics, CPU, hard drive, RAM). Not to mention, the screen of the iMac is lovely. I know you can buy your own screen, but it just doesn't feel like the whole Mac experience per se.

Umm, what? :confused:

10. rb5505, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

rb5505 thread starter macrumors member

my thoughts exactly. thanks for the post. a question came up from a video review (linked below) on amazon. does a firewire 400 ipod work with this imac? the reviewer said the older ipod won't work on this imac. i also read the new itunes can't communicate with older ipods? true?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2LW6SMF3APUT2?ie=UTF8&videoPreplay=1