27" imac owners are you happy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by karkid, Sep 4, 2010.

1. karkid macrumors member

I currently own a MBP i5 with a 24 Cinema Display, and my main setup is a cusstom built pc. i980x/5970/12GB ram with a Dell 30" but this setup seems so overkill and messy for me. I've been wanting to sell it lately and Grab a 27" Imac... i would be first time imac owner. Ask the question are you happy? And should i grab now or wait for a few months?

2. Billy Hoke macrumors member

As you could probably tell just by browsing through most of the forum topics, there are many people who have problems with their iMac.

Whether it being yellow tinting, dead pixels or grey shades on parts of the display. However, I purchased my first ever Mac a few days ago and I think it is absolutely amazing. The 27" display is perfect, there is little to no noise when the machine is on and no yellow tint.

If you are lucky enough to get an iMac with no problems at all, you will definitely enjoy it.

3. DIS Ottawa macrumors newbie

I'm very happy with mine; it did have a dead pixel but once the screen was replaced, it's been excellent.

4. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

I love mine, I was lucky to get one with no probs, this is of course the late 09 model and not the mid 10, so if you find one with no probs, you will absolutely love it.

5. macman05 macrumors regular

6. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Ah

27" i7 here. Perfect. No problems since purchase.

7. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

8. lanceh5 macrumors member

We have a 2.8 GHz i7 that was purchased in 2009. It has been just fine with no problems. It is turned on from about 6:00 am to about 10:00 pm every day. The best computer I have owned.

9. jr24 macrumors regular

i have a mid-2010 27". lovelovelovelove this machine. no problems whatsoever. there definitely needs to be more positive threads about them.

10. Tec972 macrumors regular

There probably would be if Apple's quality control wasn't asleep behind the wheel and in denial.

I am happy for people if they have "Flawless machines" just wish I could get my hands on one.

11. lexvo macrumors 65816

I am happy with my iMac. I came from a PC and this is my first Mac (apart from a Mac I worked with in the 80's).

I have a very slight yellow tinge, not as visible as I see on some images posted on these forums. Because it is very faint I decided to live with it.

Apart from this slight yellow tinge, everything is perfect.

12. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Having the 27" i7 to replace my MacMini. Quite happy with the speed and screen size. I also added my ACD 24" as second display on DisplayPort.
    Gives me enough power to make some software development or Raw-File processing with BibblePro.
    Get hot on top but that's normal for a beast like that; no issue with screen or disk.
    I only wish that I could switch the second screen on and off via software in standard.

13. Snowcake macrumors regular

I have the 27'' IMac and as most people say it is silent, it isnt for me.

I just always hear it. It always grabs my attention.

Not complete happy, i have a dead pixels and dust under the glass.
    And a buzzing/short-circuit sound + a high pitched sound. this happens if the CPU temp is above 50C/122F. Not good.

For the rest: It is a great machine, i love the screen so much.
    I get it replaced soon.

14. ias2010 macrumors newbie

27 inch with quad core i5, love the screen, this machine is quick, i am using it primarily for photo and video editing, i have loads of DV tapes to convert to digital media, when i got the mac book earlier and used it for some photo editing i was amazed by the ease of use, i wanted a bigger screen to do all that stuff and of course more powerful machine.

There are some problems with Imac as posted here but Apple really take care of customers as i have learned in few forums and PCworld report on customer satisfaction on Apple notebooks and desktops was ranked best against competition.

I have never used Mac before but have used Ipod and Iphone, i never think i will buy PC for personal use. My Imac is working great, the looks are awesome i am very surprised not many people know about apple products (mostly desktops) i have one keep asking me where is the cpu of Imac i have hard time believing everything is build in one big screen.

15. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I went through seven in the past year because of display issues. I never got my flawless imac. At a minimum, they all had some amount of yellow tint or uneven backlighting. It comes down to what your willing to accept for the money paid. IMO, the display is the most important component, and the odds of getting a display with less issues on a $2200 imac vs a $1200 one is no better.

16. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

karkid,

You have quite a machine that you are looking to replace. It sounds to me that you are looking for overall form and not necessarily function?

What are your needs? Are you a serious gamer? I don't know that a current iMac will best your current hardware. The new i7 is definitely competent and would most likely satisfy your needs but it's not like you are coming from a Core 2 Duo with a 2-3 year old video card.

If form is really that important and you can sell your current setup to offset costs I would do it. I actually did that myself but I came off of an i7-920 with a 4890 1 gb video card.

Me personally, I am extremely happy with my Mid 10 i7. Hands down the best machine I have ever owned over the last 20+ years and gaming is even better than my previous machine. I am not a big gamer but I do use it as a barometer.

I would not wait. It's not like they are going to revamp their manufacturing process due to a few unhappy customers. Just hope you get a good one and never look back. It's an odd thing in this forum but if you've been bitten by the quality bug it seems you get bit multiple times.

troutspinner

17. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

18. Geelduikbootje macrumors newbie

Bought my first Mac a few months ago. 27" i7 2.8.
    It's perfect and a joy to work with. After years of Windblows it's relaxed computing.

19. tc3jg macrumors member

got my 27in as a refurb this past thurs and the thing is a beast I love its looks and funcionality ive been a mac head since I started college 4.5 years so its nothing new to me. But this machine is like nothing I have ever used.....
    as far as problems go Ive got one speck of dust under the screen and have not done any tests for any of the other so called problems yet. When i get back to town I will try them out and see what gives, Honestly if I didnt notice them after opening the box and powering it on then im good and wont be returning even if the tests come back and there is a slight difference.

The computer is the stuff and you wont be disappointed if so sell it and lose 100 to 200 bucks.

20. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Mine is perfect, there will always be an uneven balance of people complaining that those without issues.
    Don't let it unduly put you off.

21. mlblacy macrumors 6502

Agree 1000%. All these negative threads create the impression that you have to be "lucky" to find the rare good machine. One cannot simply browse the forums to gain a meaningful statistical basis on good machines vs dogs. A large number of the folks on their 10th machine are also posting newbies with very little history, or slightly longer histories of complaining about everything. While folks are usually more inclined to post if they have a gripe, I have to think that at least "some" of these folks are trolls. Not trying to be offensive to the poor souls are are REALLY going through a rough patch, as opposed to whose plight is pure fiction, so take my slight apology on that point.

If I was on my 2nd machine and was having issues I would probably either buy the third at a store (and open it there), or maybe switch computer configuration or even to a different brand. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

So, would I buy one again? Absolutely! No worries.
    cheers,
    michael

22. symbology macrumors regular

Don't do any test to look for issues. I would reserve those to validate that you have an issue (after you detect it). The last iMac I booted up (in the Apple Store) had visible issues (to me) before I even loaded / configured the OS. So again, If you did not see them, or do not have them do not worry about it. You may go through life not ever seeing or having the issue. If you do not see it and it does not bother you, then leave it alone and enjoy.

23. JoeDangle11 macrumors newbie

i love my imac, i got my refurbished 27 inch about a week ago. i love it. and i haven't noticed anything with the screen or anything a long those lines. but then again i haven't tested for it either.