27" iMac Vs. 27" Dell AIO

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sukai, Jul 13, 2012.

1. sukai macrumors regular

Im still waiting for this month to be over in hopes of a spec bumped iMac.
    If there is one I'll definitely be going for it but in the worst case scenario a new one does not come out I cannot be waiting any further and will decide between the 2011 27" iMac andbthe 27" Dell aio. Am not up for making my own pc either.

It will be mostly for music creation, video editing and photoshop and the like. Some gaming but not heavy ones. multi tasking will be a big one.

Anyone have any thoughts on this as I don't know which to go with. It would be my first iMac and i have grown to like OS X a lot. Never had a dell computer before soI don't know how well they are. I did see that Dell's aoi can only hold 16gb ram, not sure if this is true or not.

Am on a mobile device and its giving me a hard time todo research properly.
    Thanks in advance and sorry for any typos.
    Hoping really hard for that specBump.

2. Lancer, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'm hoping for an updated iMac in a few weeks with ML.

I don't get why people would switch from Mac to PC if they had invested in the OS X environment, I can understand running both. I have an old PC which I use as a file server and for anything my Mac can't do. My old G5 can't run emulating software (well technically it can but not very well) and even when I get something newer I don't want to sully it with Windows LOL

Also the current iMac can use 32Gb of RAM, not sure if the Dell AIO can?

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If you're talking about AIO desktop, iMac is still a no brainer choice. In fact, it's the best AIO money can get. Do some research and you'll be agree with me.

Ironic? Yes .. especially when it comes to Apple branded computer, but it's true. Go figure. I don't think it's because iMac is very good (well it is, but certainly not the best desktop solution) but because other AIO is suck so bad or even more expensive than iMac. They're not being serious about it.

With that said, I don't think I'm gonna buy AIO desktop again for my next computer. It's fast and enjoy to use, but I find it to be a bit problematic with the display. I'm just holding on to enjoy it while it lasts because I still have a long AppleCare coverage period on this computer. Selling it now would be a waste.

4. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Agreed, at first even I thought iMacs were overpriced but they arn't. High res displays and aluminum chassis does it for me:)

5. MindsEye macrumors regular

Well you are still paying a premium but compared to the AIO offerings from different brands such as Dell,HP,Sony etc you are getting the best bang for your buck in terms of performance vs cost.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

What gets me is I have seen people, frustrated over the lack of a iMac real ease go off and buy a PC with lesser specs than the current top 27" iMac.

Just doesn't make sense!

7. laserfan macrumors member

I didn't know about that Dell and it looks very nice indeed what with having a display to rival the iMac's (I assume it's an LED-backlight display?). But of course, it's not a Mac.

We have only Windows PCs around here, but I want to buy a Mountain Lion iMac in the (hopefully) near future to mate-up with our two new iPhones which we love. Would be nice to have a Mac as the MacOS and iOS begin to come together.

I'm sure the Dell is a nice, well-engineered computer. You will have to decide whether you want a Mac, or you want an AIO Windows machine.

8. sukai thread starter macrumors regular

That is what i love about mac, you can have the best of both relatively easy. Am fond of both environments, OS X is some more new to me and quite enjoyable, they both will get the job done though if set up correctly.

I know iMacs are well built computers and with great engineering and a beautiful machine at that. I guess what has started getting to me like most is that it is last year's technology. I want it to be a bit more future proof. But because of this am still not counting the 2011 model out and am comparing them to what else is out there. A lot of people here have more experience and knowledge on apple computers and by that it seems that iMac is still by far the better choice now and in the long run.

Originally I had felt the same way and all i would hear is how overpriced apple computers are but looking closely at what you get its worth it.

Yes, same here. Only found about it just recently and it became a choice to look at. In the end I may go for the 2011 iMac but I stilll have to finalize this decision.

I have a strong feeling on this month for an iMac update. Maybe we can both enjoy a new iMac in the near future:D
    ------------------
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this matter.

9. laserfan macrumors member

One thing the Dell has that the iMac does not: a Blu-ray drive.

I see no rumors about a BD drive in the new iMacs, heck they might not have any options at all.

Another interesting aspect of the Dell is a 32Gb Solid State drive with one model. Not sure how that works with the 2TB hard drive though; can't seem to find any specifics on it.

EDIT: OK I see the 32GB SSD is an mSATA device. Nice addition, though the hard drive is shown as 3Gb/s which doesn't make much sense.

10. odnarbssagib macrumors member

It is false that the current iMac is technologically better than the new Dells. The new Dells beat the iMacs out in every benchmark that ive seen.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

And which Dell is that? Remember we're talking about AIO desktop here and last time I checked iMac is the best AIO out there. Just because Dell use Bluray on some of its AIO doesn't mean it's better.

Spec for spec, iMac has better value and actually cheaper.

12. odnarbssagib macrumors member

This is false. The dell aio xps 27 one is better. Cheaper. With a screen that has the same resolution. And it has ivy bridge.

----------

Here you can see a new review of it. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8mF9EG0lA&sig2=1OhCO_2dHZ2Igowaf_K-iQ&cad=rjt

I was going to buy an iMac after getting my iPad. But apple just isn't dependable. What about three years from now when I want to upgrade my computer? Will I have to sit around and wait and not buy because a new version might hit the shelves? Will I have to pay high prices for old technology?

Buy Apple if you're using laptops. They do not inspire confidence for desktop computing.

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Fine .. so let's review your Dell XPS One 27 which costs $2000:

Processor Speed 3.1 GHz
    Processor Name Intel Core i7-3770S

Not "true" i7 3770, it use lower voltage, less agressive TurboBoost. Granted it's an Ivy Bridge, which has minuscule improvement over Sandy Bridge. After all it's a 2012 XPS which you compare with 2011 iMac.

RAM 8 GB

Okay .. it has twice RAM compared to iMac, but it only has 2 slots which means you can only go to 16GB. iMac can do 32 GB since it has 4 slots. Nice of Dell to include 8GB as standard, but Apple could do it too this year. But we don't know that yet.

Storage Capacity (as Tested) 2032 GB

So it does have 2TB HDD as standard. Nice. Beats iMac hands down on this one.

Graphics Card nVidia GeForce GT 630M

Now that's the weakest link of the chain for this Dell. This is one cheap @ss GPU to have. Not much better than Intel HD4000 iGP, why Dell use it at all? $2000 iMac from 2011 can have 6970M, so if you think Dell wants to compete, at least put GTX 675M or GTX680M on this.

Primary Optical Drive Blu-Ray Disc

Oh yeah here it comes the bluray horde of PC world. It's nice to have BD option but I always watch BD on home theater room with dedicated player. But yeah, it's a nice addition to your PC. Mac will never do Bluray, not this year or another years

Monitor Type LCD Widescreen
    Screen Size 27 inches
    Native Resolution 2560 x 1440
    Same with iMac, I bet it's the same panel. So, no contest here.

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

iMac has OSX included too. No contest.

I dont know about you, but I choose RAM expandability and GPU power over something finicky like BD combo drive. All in all, it's all even out. For a 2012 machine, Dell XPS One 27 is decent. I don't think it's much better than top end 2011 iMac which cost the same.. And has been around for 14 months.

Dell has more RAM installed, a bit faster CPU, twice HDD capacity, BD combo .. but it also has half RAM slots, and much worse GPU. So I can say they're much or less equal. And you compare it with 2011 iMac. Yeah, 2012 iMac is not there yet, but it will be more relevant to compare your Dell with once it's available

14. odnarbssagib macrumors member

Did you read the part about the benchmark comparisons?

15. BigMac25 macrumors newbie

^^ Thank you, I was on the fence whether or not I should go with the Dell AIO and now I will wait. I am use to windows, but I could always dual boot windows and OSX. I have played around with OSX and do enjoy it and want to learn it more.

16. sukai thread starter macrumors regular

I have to agree with iSayuSay. in the end i think i will be going with the 2011 imac if there is no upgrade. bluray at the moment i can live without. In the end i think i feel safer with the imac overall all as an aio. my decision could still change but thats how it stands right now.

17. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sure ... here is your favorite Dell XPS benchmarks:

Crysis (DX10) (fps) - 1,280 x 720 - Medium - AA/AF= Off/Off 70
    Lost Planet 2 (DX11) (fps) - 1,280 x 720 - Middle - AA/AF= Off/Off 46
    Lost Planet 2 (DX11) (fps) - 1,920 x 1,080 - High - 4X/Off 18
    3DMark 11 Extreme 630
    3DMark 11 Entry 3230
    Crysis (DX10) (fps) - 1,920 x 1,080 AA/AF=4X/Off 13
    MULTIMEDIA TESTS - Handbrake 1:09
    PCMark7 4673
    MULTIMEDIA TESTS - PhotoShop CS5 2:53
    MULTIMEDIA TESTS - CineBench 11.5 7.04

And here is $2000 2011 iMac benchmarks:

Lost Planet 2 (DX11) (fps) - 1,920 x 1,080 - High - 4X/Off 24
    3DMark Vantage Extreme 5382
    Crysis (DX10) (fps) - 1,920 x 1,080 AA/AF=4X/Off 42
    Crysis (DX10) (fps) - 1,280 x 720 - Medium - AA/AF= Off/Off 95
    3DMark Vantage 31402
    MULTIMEDIA TESTS - Handbrake 1:38
    MULTIMEDIA TESTS - CineBench 11.5 5.1
    MULTIMEDIA TESTS - PhotoShop CS5 3:17
    PCMark Vantage 10006

Like I said, XPS has a bit better CPU, it's an i7 compared to i5, I can go with i7 3.4GHz iMac to beat XPS hands down in all benchmarks, but it also cost $200 more so it wouldn't be fair.

But in gaming department, XPS is dead in the water. Like I said, it has a cheap @ss GPU for $2000 machine. Radeon 6970M is 50% - 100% faster in all 3d tests. So ironically, iMac deliver games better for AIO form factor.

18. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

I figured out costs during gathering parts for my custom build recently and realised that the display was good value. The other components however can't really compare to a properly done custom PC with high specs.

19. odnarbssagib macrumors member

Pc AIOs are not gaming machines. If you run windows and want to game you're not going to buy this computer. But since Macs have no true gaming alternative, Apple has to put such a card in their IMac.

20. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Re - the Dell XPS One 27 looks good, I'd love USB ports on the side for easier access to plug in thumb drives. Hope that comes with the update but I doubt it.

BlueRay will never come to the iMac but I don't care, if I even feel the need to play them I'll just get a BD burner/play and hook it up but I'd rather get a good one for my TV. Same goes for built in DTV tuner.

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well that's my point. AIO may never have enough space and power to be a real gaming machine. But iMac is one of the best AIO money can buy. Competition is scarce in this line and all OEM out there still not putting serious mind into it.

That's why iMac shines.
    I believe you can have better spec with custom built PC for $2000.

22. laserfan macrumors member

IMO there is no comparison between the Dell and the 2011 iMac 27--the Dell wins hands-down, in every aspect.

Here's to hoping however that "the new iMac" when it appears has at least the upgrades in the Dell, and a non-glare screen.

23. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Have you even looked at the GPU benchmarks? and the iMac can hold 32GB of RAM while the Dell can only hold 32GB.

24. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Beat iMac in every aspect? Really?

Dell XPS has Bluray drive, a bit faster i7 CPU (actually it's still a slower than 3.4GHz i7 on current iMac, go figure .. but it also costs $200 more), 8GB of RAM in 2 slots

But iMac has 4 slots of RAM, much better GPU, 2 Thunderbolt ports, and also ability to run OSX and Windows with no technical barrier.

You don't have to agree with me here, but saying "Dell winds hands-down, in every aspect" is total FUD either.

Thanks for overlooking it, 2011 iMac still have better GPU than 2012 Dell with the exact same MSRP. That's gotta means something, right? :) But I believe you might wanna say iMac can hold 32GB of RAM (4x8GB) while Dell can only hold 16GB (2x8GB).

25. imac'n'me macrumors newbie

i was a loyal dell customer for over 8 years and in all honesty that one machine lasted well, i did a lot of work on it and even travelled all over the uk with it.

HOWEVER having bought an IMAC a month ago, theres no way i would go back to pc. the OS and the whole experience of using the iMac is far far superior to my old pc.

i was looking at the dell AIO when i was considering my purchase. the only REAL difference is that theXPS one 27 has blue ray. . i don't watch movies on my computer so thats an irrelevance.also the screen on the new dell is too glossy and reflective, i have seen this mentioned more than once.

the IMAC is still the best choice and clearly Dell agrees with this seeing as they have modelled their 'brand new' AIO to be a carbon copy of the iMac in every way they can.

the other thing that swayed me away from the dell AIO is that, bottom line, it LOOKS like a budget or knock off/ cheap copy of the IMAC.