Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Hardmac reports that Apple has halted production of 27-inch iMac models pending a fix for several display issues that have been affecting the machines.
According to one of our sources, the company completely stopped the iMac 27" assembling lines, the production will not resume before Apple has finally found a reliable and definitive fix for the remaining past (flickering and flashing display) and new issues (yellowish panel and flickering display) affecting those models.
In mid-December, shipping lead times for the 27-inch models slipped to two weeks amid complaints of flickering screens amid other issues with the machines. Apple quickly offered a firmware update designed to address the issue, although users have continued to report similar problems even after applying the update. While reports have suggested that Apple is working on a second fix for the flickering screen, more recent reports of yellowish screens have surfaced, with an internal Apple service memo indicating that the company is aware of the situation.

While shipping times for the 27-inch models did improve to one week around the holidays, they slipped back to a three-week margin earlier this month, with speculation centering around continued display issues as a cause for the delays, although Apple has indicated that it has simply had trouble keeping up with tremendous demand for its iMac line.

MacRumors has received a number of reports from readers who have seen their 27-inch iMac orders delayed in recent weeks, although we did receive a report yesterday of several orders that had been delayed until mid-February for which Apple had just issued shipping confirmations, suggesting that production may already be getting back on track.

Article Link: 27-Inch iMac Production Halted Pending Fix For Display Issues?

Doodledoo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
It's about time. These computers have serious issues. Here's the real question: will Apple leave current owners in the dark? If the issue is severe enough to cause them to stop production (if this is, in fact, true) and adjust their methods, then surely all the other ones out there deserve some attention.

Comment

Uragon

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Was planning to get one last Dec., but I kept postponing it. I hope they fix it soon. I like this product.

Comment

bobcubsfan

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Mac 27"

Our 27" had other issues. Sometimes would not power up. Replacement is on the FedEx truck to be delivered today.

The existing 27" had no display issues. It remains to be seen ;) how this one looks.

Comment

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
Just call apple care. I called apple and they were very nice. I think it helps that I am extremely patient and call all the nice women darling. They are allowing me to keep my 27" i7 for now and then return it at a later date. They also refunded $100 to my credit card.

I know it shouldn't happen, especially with apple and with a $2200 machine, but sometimes you have to be patient when you buy something as soon as it comes out.

Comment

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I appreciate Apple coming forward, just wish it would have happened sooner. I also hope Apple releases a REP program for this.

Comment

ratGT

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Greece & Sweden
Please

Apple, PLEASE do something about it, cause some of us need DESPERATELY one NOW! (or even more correctly, need one for the past two months!...) :confused:

Comment

f00f

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
My other half has been looking forward to inheriting my 24" iMac since Apple announced the 27" beasts, one of which I've been itching to acquire. I'm so glad I've waited to see how well these machines were going to pan out; my lady, of course, is not. Guess we're going to hold out even longer! Hope :apple: nails this issue down soon...

Comment

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
WOW Apple Q&A is seriously out of control :eek: ..... I seriously pray that they take their time with the Mac Pros and Notebooks. I would rather wait till mid March or early april to get new Mac Pros and Notebooks then to have them rush prototypes out to us, like they did with the iMac

THIS NEWS MAKES THE 22" iMac touchscreen Article sound moot at this point.... don't expect that dream to arrive until 2011

Comment

mccoma

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
We ordered one for the college, and we have had no issues (well, other then the "screen envy" it created).

Comment

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
All the 27" issues seem to be delaying the ordering of Minis too (end of feb+)... perhaps Intel is playing silly Bs with the supply flow because Apple told them they don't want Arrandale.

Gettotta mah way I want my mini delivered asap!

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I was just about to drop some money on an i5. Im glad this has appeared. I will definitely wait until a fix has been confirmed.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I hope Hardmac is right about this. We expect quality from Apple and that's what they need to deliver.

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Yeah, mine (a replacement) was:

Original Ship Date: Jan 21
Delay Notificantion Ship Date: Feb 16
Actual Ship Date: Jan 29 (Friday)

Awesomely, it was delivered today -- three days from Shanghai! (I think). I'll find out tonight if I've got a good screen or not. <fingers tightly crossed/>.

Comment

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Just call apple care. I called apple and they were very nice. I think it helps that I am extremely patient and call all the nice women darling. They are allowing me to keep my 27" i7 for now and then return it at a later date. They also refunded $100 to my credit card.

I know it shouldn't happen, especially with apple and with a $2200 machine, but sometimes you have to be patient when you buy something as soon as it comes out.

Too bad there's not a lot of people out there like you. Of course, I'm not sure about the "darling" part. :D

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I hope Hardmac is right about this. We expect quality from Apple and that's what they need to deliver.

Absolutely. Have you had a look at the actual leaked memo? It actually advises support personal to say that the colour variations are consistent with LCD panels. :confused:

At least they are offering to fix faulty iMac's.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-01 at 18.14.58.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-01 at 18.14.58.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 1,555
Comment

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I have a yellow-tinged screen but have held off trying to get it replaced until I knew for sure that Apple was going to clear up the problem. I've heard of people exchanging one bad screen for another multiple times in a row. I'd rather not go through all that hassle just to get another bum screen.

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
It's about time. These computers have serious issues. Here's the real question: will Apple leave current owners in the dark? If the issue is severe enough to cause them to stop production (if this is, in fact, true) and adjust their methods, then surely all the other ones out there deserve some attention.

they don't all have the problem, though it is difficut to tell what percentage are affected. People have reported getting multiple bad ones in repalcement after replacement. Others have reported good displays on the first try. I got a quick look at 4 macs in a nearby apple store after returning my first one and saw all four were fine.

Comment

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
they don't all have the problem, though it is difficut to tell what percentage are affected. People have reported getting multiple bad ones in repalcement after replacement. Others have reported good displays on the first try. I got a quick look at 4 macs in a nearby apple store after returning my first one and saw all four were fine.

they might all be affected in some way or other just some customers tolerances...not to mention eyesight might be 'different'

Comment

Apokeylips

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2005
Bristol, UK

My 27" is fine. No cracks, no yellow tinge, no start up problems, no problems with video. It's reliable as I would expect.

I'm feeling a little left out. I need something to complain about, or else why have forums.

Oh, I know, Quicktime 10 is ****.

Happy now :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.