27 inch SSD has Arrived

Discussion in 'iMac' started by khakilad, Jun 13, 2011.

1. khakilad macrumors member

Well it's arrived.

The HHD (2tb) is quite noisy)

No screen issues.

Will post details

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Congratulations!

Congratulations to you! Enjoy and have fun with your new iMac! Please share your findings with us.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

How is it set up? Is the OS and Apps on the SSD with the user folders and storage on the HD?

4. timtom33 macrumors member

Noisy how? Is it grumbling, or you can hear it actually spinning?

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Do you have access to a sound meter? By noisy are you in a really quiet room or does it make sick nasty hdd drive noises? I am asking because I wonder if dropping in an ssd only is the best option.

The 256 gb ssd only is 500 your option is 750. I wonder if just getting the ssd and adding a t-bolt enclosure may be a better option.

6. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Almost did a sex wee imagining a 27inch ssd. Heh.

7. DJHack macrumors regular

Mine has just arrived too ... need to get home to set it up and see how it goes!

Here's hoping it will be all working perfectly.

ENJOY :D

8. khakilad thread starter macrumors member

It's in a quiet room yeah, but you can just hear it buzzing ever so quietly, but as I use a SSD macbook Pro that is silent I can't really compare to that.

i'll be keeping it though. Screen is perfect on it.

the HDD is empty and my user data folders are on the SSD so will have to move them all over.

9. kyleeHK macrumors newbie

My 1TB + SSD has arrived.

However, instead of seeing one HD (I read something about Smart Response Technology that we will be seeing only one HD), I saw two HDs.

All apps and Home folder are in the SSD, while the HDD is empty.

I am now transferring my stuffs from time machine, and SSD has room for it, and the HDD seems not to be running, so can't really tell if it is noisy.

Without "Smart Response Technology", it seems I need to work out how to organize our stuffs (saving different things into different HDs) right? I share this imac with my family, still wondering what is the best approach......

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm kind of thinking this route makes sense:

http://lifehacker.com/5541774/how-to-install-a-solid+state-drive-in-your-macbook

"Transfer Your OS X to the SSD

If your SSD is up and running properly, there's only one step left before you get to experience those blazing-fast boot times everyone's talking about. Download Carbon Copy Cloner if you haven't already and start it up. Set your source disk to your current boot volume (most likely named Macintosh HD) and set your target disk to your new SSD.

Generally, since SSDs are small and expensive, the way this works is that you store your operating system on the SSD for fast boots and application launches, while storing the rest of your data (such as documents, movies and music) on your second, magnetic drive. So, under Source Disk, you'll want to scroll down and uncheck the box for your home folder (and any other home folders on your system, if you have multiple users) to exclude it from the cloning process. Hit the clone button and wait for it to finish. Once it does, go ahead and restart your computer, holding the option key at startup so you can select your SSD as the boot volume. Your OS will be up and running in record time.

Once you've wiped the drool from your face (I'm not going to lie, I restarted it three times just to watch it boot that quickly), you'll notice a lot of your settings are missing in your apps. This is because a lot of those preferences are stored in your home folder, which we didn't copy over. To fix this, head into System preferences and open up the Accounts pane. Click the lock in the bottom left corner and type in your password to make changes, and then right click on your user account. Click Advanced Options and look for the "Home Directory" box on the pane that pops up. Simply hit the "Choose" button and navigate to the home folder on your old drive. Log out and then log back in.

If you did everything correctly, you should see your preferences restored (except for a few things, like your wallpaper, which you'll need to re-add). Do this for each user account on your computer. You can now go into your old drive and delete all the folders on it except for "Users". This will not only free up the rest of the space on that drive, but make the drive unbootable, so your computer will default to your new SSD when booting. You don't need to do anything else differently—saving files to your "Documents" or "Downloads" folder will automatically store them on your second drive, since you relocated your home folder."

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Yeah I have a 2009 that I got new in feb 10 a 3.06 c2d 27 inch.

I use it as a tv dvr a little net surfing and some dvd playing. My machine is in my Kitchen and so far after 17 months or so is perfect. I always had a hdd buzz hum but since it was in my kitchen and the kitchen has a lot of noise I almost never hear the hdd hum. Is has always been a well behaved machine for the most part. No yellow or gray issues. My thought is the c2d 3.06 was low powered and since I wall mounted it the heat shoots right up to the ceiling. I always thought the yellowing was a heat issue.