27" LED Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt) with Mac Mini 2018?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by futurevibe, Nov 7, 2018 at 7:51 AM.

1. futurevibe macrumors member

Hi guys,

I’m planning on getting the new Mac Mini and was wondering if i could use my Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (not Thunderbolt) with it? Is there some kind of adapter i can use to connect the Mini-Display Port to the Mac Mini’s Thunderbolt, USB or HDMI ports? If so, what would be the best way to go with this?

Thanks!

2. chrfr macrumors 604

It'll work fine. Just get a USB-C to Mini Displayport adapter. You'll need to plug the display's USB cable into one of the USB-A ports on the Mini too.

3. futurevibe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying! Would something like this do the job? http://amzn.eu/d/3pDdMfH

4. chrfr macrumors 604

It should work fine, although I'd probably pick something that has a short cable instead of the one-piece adapter to keep a little more room around the ports.

5. Techieman75 macrumors newbie

I would be careful, I just got my i7 w/ 16 gb of ram and connected it to a 27” display via HDMI 2.0 and it runs like crap. The unit runs very sluggish and is almost unusable. I’m going to try and eGPU, but I’m kinda pissed that I spent over 1k for the mini and the unit can’t even handle a single display well let alone two, that’s even worse.

6. futurevibe thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, good point. Thanks lot for your help!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2018 at 9:59 AM ---
    Ahhh, really? :( Please let me know how you get on with it. Cheers!

7. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

What are you seeing/doing that is slow?

8. mikehalloran macrumors 6502

Not enough information. It should work fine with the right adapter.

9. FearGhost macrumors regular

FearGhost

In can confirm that my Mac mini 2018 is working flawlessly with my Cinema Display 27". I bought a USB-C to MDP adapter from Amazon and everything works as expected. Volume and brightness keys also work fine.

10. futurevibe thread starter macrumors member

That's great to hear :) Thanks mate! Could you please link me to the adapter you bought on Amazon? Cheers!

11. FearGhost macrumors regular

FearGhost

12. MacBird macrumors 6502a

13. FearGhost macrumors regular

FearGhost

That looks very similar to the one I bought (see link above). I looked for good reviews from Mac users before purchase.

14. futurevibe thread starter macrumors member

15. Techieman75 macrumors newbie

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Why wouldn't you just use the Mini's built-in HDMI output port?

Or are you using two separate 4K displays? The mini may be a bit underpowered to effectively run two 4K displays, even though it technically supports it.

Also, what applications are you experiencing lag in?

17. Techieman75 macrumors newbie

Resizing windows such as chrome is horrendous and even video playback from YouTube is bad. I’ll try to make a video. I did try one of the 4K monitors on the built in hdmi port and it was better but still sluggish in my opinion.

18. Techieman75 macrumors newbie

19. futurevibe thread starter macrumors member

Any signs of this with you @FearGhost ? It would be just my luck to have the same issues :rolleyes:

20. Synchro3 macrumors 68000

Synchro3

Resizing Safari windows while playing videos is horrible in 4K resolution, even with my GTX Titan X graphics card in my Mac Pro 4,1. E.g. when resizing the Quicktime Player window all is smooth.

However; the Intel HD 630 graphics isn't really strong, especially with two 4K display's. I would recommend an eGPU.

21. FearGhost macrumors regular

FearGhost

No, I don't have this problem. As you know the Cinema Display is 2560 x 1440 and I haven't noticed any differences at all than when I was using my 2012 Mac mini server.

22. futurevibe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your answers guys! I only use my computer for music production, so i'm guessing i'll be ok without an eGPU?

23. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

You should be just fine.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2018 at 1:13 PM ---
    That is extremely strange.
    That seems "normal" to me. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with discrete graphics that are old enough to be about the same as the integrated graphics on the modern mini, and that's what I get on a 1080p monitor or a 4K monitor. It's just "too much" for the CPU+GPU to handle updating the window while resizing. If you resize a Finder window, do you see the same? I would guess not, since there is far less to update while resizing.

24. Techieman75 macrumors newbie

Finder is fine, it's just anything that has some graphics in it. Standard web browsing or watching videos. I'll post an update once I get the eGPU tomorrow and see how it handles.