Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
My iPhone just said I had 27% battery left, yet when I plugged it in to charge it immediately shot up to 45%.

Has something similar ever happened to anyone? Is this a sign of anything worrisome?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I typically have the battery percentage disabled because it's just a rough estimate, but sometimes behavior like that can mean the battery is failing.

Reactions: Vicrooloo

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
It just went from 71% to 59% while unplugged. Oh boy. :(

Would a restore from new fix this potentially? (If by chance it's not the battery.)

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
The battery maybe jumping around because its dying. What is the run time you get from the time you wake up till you have to Charge it.
Battery life has been normal up until a few hours ago. I realized I was at 30% which is rare for me. I plugged my iPhone to charge and it immediately shot up to 45%. Then I stepped away and it was at 71% not long after. And then I unplugged it and it went to 59% shortly after. Since then though it has decreased at a normal rate. I'm at 53% right now.
[doublepost=1452232181][/doublepost]Now my battery is stuck at 40%?
[doublepost=1452232430][/doublepost]I shut it off stuck at 40% and then it read 57% upon restart. :(

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Battery life has been normal up until a few hours ago. I realized I was at 30% which is rare for me. I plugged my iPhone to charge and it immediately shot up to 45%. Then I stepped away and it was at 71% not long after. And then I unplugged it and it went to 59% shortly after. Since then though it has decreased at a normal rate. I'm at 53% right now.
[doublepost=1452232181][/doublepost]Now my battery is stuck at 40%?
[doublepost=1452232430][/doublepost]I shut it off stuck at 40% and then it read 57% upon restart. :(

I would take that as a hint that there is something wrong. Most likely the battery. If you take it to the Apple store they will diagnose it for free and you will know for sure.

Reactions: Goatllama

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Have you considered draining your battery till the phone shut itself off? I ask this because this happened to my wife's 4 back in the day after owning it for more than a year and we decided to fully drain the battery and this fixed her % jumping up and down.

If it still does this after draining, then something is wrong with the battery.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
This is very common with iphone 6 and 6S firmware. It's completely fine. The battery % doesnt always recalc and sometimes doesnt for a while. but when you plug it in it usually does it right there instantly

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Have you considered draining your battery till the phone shut itself off? I ask this because this happened to my wife's 4 back in the day after owning it for more than a year and we decided to fully drain the battery and this fixed her % jumping up and down.

If it still does this after draining, then something is wrong with the battery.

I'm going to try this tonight. I'd like to avoid a full restore if possible.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Tonight I was at 74% put my phone down for a few minutes, wake it, and it states 29%. I then power off then on again at it's back to 74%. Any thoughts?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
This has been happening to me (iP6) but I assumed it was the 9.2.1 beta I'm running

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
My iPhone just said I had 27% battery left, yet when I plugged it in to charge it immediately shot up to 45%.

Has something similar ever happened to anyone? Is this a sign of anything worrisome?

This started to happen to me too, and I went on the Apple support site and set up a device health check. Within a few minutes, it came back and told me that my battery needs service - I.e my battery needs replacing or is faulty.

So I just ordered one from eBay and replaced it and have been very happy since.

I saw EXACTLY the same behaviour as you, and probably a bit worse. Battery used to last less than 5 hours, and when I plugged it in, the percentage would shoot up. It kept fluctuating and was SUPER annoying.

I thought Apples algorithm needed work via an update, but updates passed and I saw no fix. Overtime it got worse, hence the Apple support site visit. I saved myself £59 and got the whole thing done myself for less than £10. I would advise you to perform the health check and see what's up.

To set up health check (also known as diagnostics):
Visit Apples support site and setup a support case as you normally would. At some point it will tell you that your issue can be diagnosed faster if you send information from your device to Apple. Go ahead and do that, and that'll be your health check done.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
This started to happen to me too, and I went on the Apple support site and set up a device health check. Within a few minutes, it came back and told me that my battery needs service - I.e my battery needs replacing or is faulty.

So I just ordered one from eBay and replaced it and have been very happy since.

I saw EXACTLY the same behaviour as you, and probably a bit worse. Battery used to last less than 5 hours, and when I plugged it in, the percentage would shoot up. It kept fluctuating and was SUPER annoying.

I thought Apples algorithm needed work via an update, but updates passed and I saw no fix. Overtime it got worse, hence the Apple support site visit. I saved myself £59 and got the whole thing done myself for less than £10. I would advise you to perform the health check and see what's up.

To set up health check (also known as diagnostics):
Visit Apples support site and setup a support case as you normally would. At some point it will tell you that your issue can be diagnosed faster if you send information from your device to Apple. Go ahead and do that, and that'll be your health check done.
I did a restore and setup as new. So far no issues with my battery. If anything changes I'll take it in. I'm hoping it's settled now.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009

Opened a case to do a health check on my battery. It came back fine so it's definitely a software issue.

Reactions: Sirious

easheer

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
My iPad mini 3 has done the same thing and it is only about 6 months old. I've noticed no noticeable fast drain or other battery related issues when using the device.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I've been noticing the same thing recently with my launch iPhone 6. Was going to replace with an ifixit battery but there's says ifixit big as life on the battery now. Would prefer an OEM labeled one. Wonder what they would charge at the Apple Store to replace?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I've been having this problem too but the Apple people said the battery was fine. Didn't want to do a restore as new - then went on holiday and it was fine. Back to work and it happened last night.

Then I had a thought. Here I commute to work by bike, unless the weather is really really bad. I carry my phone in an outside pocket and often will look at it or use it when I am walking outside. On holiday I hardly ever used it outside - didn't have this issue in summer. I'm wondering if the cold is affecting the battery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.