Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Another Month starts on Sunday.

I have set up the standard challenges (distance, mile, 5k and 10k) - I have found that in creating elimination challenges I can not remove myself which kind of defeats the purpose.

If someone has any ideas for a challenge for me to add let me know - I am interested in getting a challenge together where the best do not win. Something like a run 25 miles in April thing, but I can not sponsor it as I can not eliminate myself from the challenge when I go over...I was just looking for a way to motivate the folks who are not putting up as many miles.

Perhaps someone who normally runs under 25 miles a month could and eliminate folks as they pass 25 miles or some arbitrary point so that the idea is to get as close to 25 miles as possible to win. Just a thought...

Anyway good March and now on to April.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Thanks for the add...my fiancee would also like to join all of the challenges. Her NikeID: Kourtney17.

Just a word of warning, I run decently well, but she is an All-American CC/track runner (graduated last spring), so she's...good.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Thanks for the add...my fiancee would also like to join all of the challenges. Her NikeID: Kourtney17.

Just a word of warning, I run decently well, but she is an All-American CC/track runner (graduated last spring), so she's...good.

Added - the more the merrier - can't just have twood and QCassidy winning all the hardware...;)

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
where did she run?
DIII, Gustavus, but competed against D1 as well at Drake Relays, etc. and placed Top 8 overall in 2 events...

P.S. twood and QCassidy, I'm going to get at least one medal :D It might be a silver, but it'll be a medal nonetheless, lol. Of course, I'm a collegiate basketball player turned runner, so I'm still getting into it...running ~7-8 miles a day, working on upping the threshold runs, trying to get some better times so I can compete in some triathalons this summer

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
DIII, Gustavus, but competed against D1 as well at Drake Relays, etc. and placed Top 8 overall in 2 events...

P.S. twood and QCassidy, I'm going to get at least one medal :D It might be a silver, but it'll be a medal nonetheless, lol. Of course, I'm a collegiate basketball player turned runner, so I'm still getting into it...running ~7-8 miles a day, working on upping the threshold runs, trying to get some better times so I can compete in some triathalons this summer

what events?

so you still play basketball? or totally converted to running?

and you might have to settle for bronze.....but we'll see ;)

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
what events?

so you still play basketball? or totally converted to running?

and you might have to settle for bronze.....but we'll see ;)
She placed like 7th overall in Steeple, have to ask her about the other event, think it was the 5k...I think her PR in the 5k is mid 16's...

No more ball for me, graduated last year, I'm in law school now, but don't have any more eligibility left. Lol, there's no way I could be puttin' in the miles I am now (7-9 daily) when I was in ball, totally different muscles; running would have screwed me over for bball. I'd lose all my fast twitch muscles! I still get to play quite a bit in local leagues, but mostly totally a runner now (in addition to tons of golf & tennis).

And what's this about me settling for bronze?!? I just looked at the updated 5k & 10k times; did you accidentally turn your + on when you were walking across campus, or was that a real "run?" I think my mom powerwalks that 10k time :p lol.

No, we'll see, it should be fun. But remember, I'm just a recently converted runner, only been running about 4-5 months, still trying to get rid of the extra fat, dropped about 10 lbs. so far in the past 1.5-2 months I've been actually trying. But in having a fiancee who has all the gear & "runner's" attitude, I've caught on pretty quick :) Between all my running gear, shoes, etc. I'm starting to look like a "real" runner, but only starting :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
She placed like 7th overall in Steeple, have to ask her about the other event, think it was the 5k...I think her PR in the 5k is mid 16's...

No more ball for me, graduated last year, I'm in law school now, but don't have any more eligibility left. Lol, there's no way I could be puttin' in the miles I am now (7-9 daily) when I was in ball, totally different muscles; running would have screwed me over for bball. I'd lose all my fast twitch muscles! I still get to play quite a bit in local leagues, but mostly totally a runner now (in addition to tons of golf & tennis).

And what's this about me settling for bronze?!? I just looked at the updated 5k & 10k times; did you accidentally turn your + on when you were walking across campus, or was that a real "run?" I think my mom powerwalks that 10k time :p lol.

No, we'll see, it should be fun. But remember, I'm just a recently converted runner, only been running about 4-5 months, still trying to get rid of the extra fat, dropped about 10 lbs. so far in the past 1.5-2 months I've been actually trying. But in having a fiancee who has all the gear & "runner's" attitude, I've caught on pretty quick :) Between all my running gear, shoes, etc. I'm starting to look like a "real" runner, but only starting :)

you don't even now the events.....are you paying any attention to your girlfriend?

it seems you wouldn't have all this free time to run, play bball, golf, and tennis? i have a close friend in law school, and has to study close to 9-10 hours a day sometimes......(and he didn't do any of that in undergrad)

i wouldn't be trying to talk smack about any 5k or 10k run......i mean, can you even run under 6:00 for a mile? looks like you should give your ipod to your girlfriend for a couple of runs.......

but yeah, we will see......and i think it's funny who you keep saying that you're a beginner, but still are trying to talk trash.....

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Wow dude, I was really trying to have fun and meant for it to be a humorous post, hence all the smilies and lol's. I think you got my tone completely wrong. Yes, I'm extremely busy with law school (study about 5-6 hrs. a day), but I also run quite a bit, play ball, golf and tennis. It's true.

"Talking smack about 5k and 10k" - geez, it was meant as friendly ribbing. From your past posts I didn't take you to be all serious and emotional, but I guess if you're a collegiate runner you might be a tad on the touchy side if I question your times. Just relax dude, I think you really took my post entirely the wrong way. And in all fairness, you were the one who started the "ribbing," saying that I'll have to "settle for the bronze." I didn't say anything to you?

P.S. It's my fiancee, not girlfriend. And no, I definitely didn't give it to her, considering I'm running more than she is these days. She's a full-time 1st grade teacher, so she can't get out as much as me.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
i wouldn't be trying to talk smack about any 5k or 10k run......i mean, can you even run under 6:00 for a mile?
P.S. You are comparing 2 totally different runs man, 5k & 10k are totally different than running under a 6:00 mile. One is endurance over a much, much longer run. The other is short and sweet. Yes, I can build myself for short speed too, it's in the family (grandpa was state champ miler in Nebraska) and I'm pretty athletic.

And, no, my Nike+ time (7:33) on MR Challenge for Best Mile isn't running it full bore, it's simply my first warmup mile of my 8-9 mile run, and hence my slowest of the run. If you are a miler, 800m, 400m, etc. and that's your bag, that's fine, you got me. I can sprint decently, but only "decently" if you're comparing me to collegiate sprinters. However, I'm focusing on running longer distances for fun.

My best mile time in the past 3-4 years was a 5:24 as a sophomore in college, without training. If I trained for it now, and get my weight down another 8-10 lbs. on top of the 10 lbs. I've lost in the past couple months, within 2-3 months I'd wager I could top out near the 4:48-4:55 time, assuming I'm doing regular track/speed workouts to gear up for it.

However, I have no reason to. I'm not training for speed in short distances, just getting back in shape (I'm not fat or anything, just want to get cut again :)) and enjoying a good pace on long runs (7-9 miles @ 7:15-20 pace)

My posts were really only friendly "trash talk," I really didn't mean to upset you or question your manhood or anything. Sorry if you took it that way.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wow dude, I was really trying to have fun and meant for it to be a humorous post, hence all the smilies and lol's. I think you got my tone completely wrong. Yes, I'm extremely busy with law school (study about 5-6 hrs. a day), but I also run quite a bit, play ball, golf and tennis. It's true.

"Talking smack about 5k and 10k" - geez, it was meant as friendly ribbing. From your past posts I didn't take you to be all serious and emotional, but I guess if you're a collegiate runner you might be a tad on the touchy side if I question your times. Just relax dude, I think you really took my post entirely the wrong way. And in all fairness, you were the one who started the "ribbing," saying that I'll have to "settle for the bronze." I didn't say anything to you?

P.S. It's my fiancee, not girlfriend. And no, I definitely didn't give it to her, considering I'm running more than she is these days. She's a full-time 1st grade teacher, so she can't get out as much as me.

well maybe i misunderstood. it just seems some of the stuff you posted just wasn't adding up.

P.S. You are comparing 2 totally different runs man, 5k & 10k are totally different than running under a 6:00 mile. One is endurance over a much, much longer run. The other is short and sweet. Yes, I can build myself for short speed too, it's in the family (grandpa was state champ miler in Nebraska) and I'm pretty athletic.

And, no, my Nike+ time on MR Challenge for Best Mile isn't running it full bore, it's simply my first warmup mile of my 8-9 mile run, and hence my slowest of the run. If you are a miler, 800m, 400m, etc. and that's your bag, that's fine, you got me. I can sprint decently, but only "decently" if you're comparing me to collegiate sprinters. However, I'm focusing on running longer distances for fun.

My best mile time in the past 3-4 years was a 5:24 as a sophomore in college, without training. If I trained for it now, and get my weight down another 8-10 lbs. on top of the 10 lbs. I've lost in the past couple months, within 2-3 months I'd wager I could top out near the 4:48-4:55 time, assuming I'm doing regular track/speed workouts to gear up for it.

However, I have no reason to. I'm not training for speed in short distances, just getting back in shape (I'm not fat or anything, just want to get cut again :)) and enjoying a good pace on long runs (7-9 miles @ 7:15-20 pace)

My posts were really only friendly "trash talk," I really didn't mean to upset you or question your manhood or anything. Sorry if you took it that way.

sorry for smacking at you....i guess i took it the wrong way. but to run under 20 min for a 5k, you would have to run under 6:00 for a mile....

my times aren't running all out either....and i wouldn't bother doing it anyway.....it's isn't very accurate (or at least mine isn't)

anyways, maybe we can get back on track now.....

btw, i was just curious (as to why i even asked about what school and events that your fiancee ran. my girlfriend is on the track team here at my school, and she's pretty good as well.....(we're division 1, so no top finishes or anything though)

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
sorry for smacking at you....i guess i took it the wrong way. but to run under 20 min for a 5k, you would have to run under 6:00 for a mile....
Yeah, I never said anything about under 20 min for a 5k for me, I'm not there yet. My fiancee's PR was like 16:34 or something, if that's what you're referring to?
it's isn't very accurate (or at least mine isn't)
Mine is surprisingly pretty accurate, I've calibrated a few times on a track, and it's usually within .01 of a mile for the exact same distance every day.

Anyways...

What do you run? What does your girlfriend run? Do you guys run for UG?

edit: Nevermind, checked your blog, I see you're at GSU. And checked your gf's races/times. See her 5k was 19:20, way to set her PR for this year! Also see that she does CC and track, that's pretty sweet, my gf did the same thing (I guess they figure if you're running, might as well run for the team eh? lol) Also see you broke the 2 minute mark for the 800, nice.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yeah, I never said anything about under 20 min for a 5k for me, I'm not there yet. My fiancee's PR was like 16:34 or something, if that's what you're referring to?

Mine is surprisingly pretty accurate, I've calibrated a few times on a track, and it's usually within .01 of a mile for the exact same distance every day.

Anyways...

What do you run? What does your girlfriend run? Do you guys run for UG?

edit: Nevermind, checked your blog, I see you're at GSU. And checked your gf's races/times. See her 5k was 19:20, way to set her PR for this year! Also see that she does CC and track, that's pretty sweet, my gf did the same thing (I guess they figure if you're running, might as well run for the team eh? lol) Also see you broke the 2 minute mark for the 800, nice.

mine gets off the faster you run...so to set a fast 5k, you have to run farther than 5k, so it's basically pointless. but mine's pretty accurate at normal pace though....(i think at least)

yeah i mainly run the 800.....i did run CC also (twoodcc) but in college you have to run 8k (which is not fun)....basically i had to run my best 5k, and continue that pace for another 3k....

thanks, yeah she's pretty good. she mainly runs the 1500 and 800 in track. her best is 4:43 for the 1500 and 2:16 for the 800. the school record for the 1500 is 4:36 i think, so she's not too far off.

hopefully tomorrow those times will change.....

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'm aiming to run 200k in April.

Won't put me in contention, but it's still something to aim for.

With one day left in March it's incredibly close for 1st

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm aiming to run 200k in April.

Won't put me in contention, but it's still something to aim for.

With one day left in March it's incredibly close for 1st

so that's like 124 miles or so......you can do it :)

yeah it is close.....but i think he might win since i've been doing more track workouts and stuff.....and he doesn't update his everyday for some reason....oh well

giganten

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2006
Thanks for the challenges. I will see if I can make it better this time, I did join late for the March challenge and had some problems with blister’s.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
You talking about QCassidy? Who does he run for?

yeah i'm talking about QCassidy (i forgot how to spell his name)

i think he's graduated already....not sure

Thanks for the challenges. I will see if I can make it better this time, I did join late for the March challenge and had some problems with blister’s.

i'm sure you'll do better this time ;)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
You talking about QCassidy? Who does he run for?

Ah, to still be a college runner. ;) I'm in law school now, and don't do nearly the times or the milage I once did.

You might try seeing if it's accurate over measured distances other than a track.

Mine is very inaccurate, as I've complained on this board plenty of times. ;) Basically, if I run on a flat surface at the same pace I calibrated it at (~7 min/mile) then it's dead accurate. If I go uphill or downhill it gets off, as it does if I go faster or slower than 7 min pace (uphill or slower, and it overestimates distance. downhill or faster, and it underestimates.). So all of my timed distances (mile/5k/10k) are significantly slower than they should be (e.g. If I run a 5:30 mile the time tends to be about 6 min).

p.s. please add me (qcassidy352 on nike+) to the mile, 5k, 10k, and overall distance challenges. thanks! :)

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Ah, to still be a college runner. ;) I'm in law school now, and don't do nearly the times or the milage I once did.
That's funny, I'm in law school too.

You might try seeing if it's accurate over measured distances other than a track.
I do it every day, I only calibrated the + on the track; besides that, I never run on a track. I only run on trails and roads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.