Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
thanks, yep, that is what I expect normally, but don't want to be negatively surprised by some limitations... like that the laptop decides that it won't work with lid closed as the power is not enough :)
The only really CPU intensive thing that I do on that one is letting the RAW pictures develop into JPEGs, but this only takes a few minutes and I normally don't do it on the road...

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
thanks, yep, that is what I expect normally, but don't want to be negatively surprised by some limitations... like that the laptop decides that it won't work with lid closed as the power is not enough :)
The only really CPU intensive thing that I do on that one is letting the RAW pictures develop into JPEGs, but this only takes a few minutes and I normally don't do it on the road...
The laptop will work with the lid closed an an external monitor even when not connected to power --- it just uses the battery in that case. The Mac is quite flexible in this way

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Thanks for another useful thread and another question answered. Before I made the move to a new MBP I had a rMB which was faulty and got returned, but not before I'd bought an extra 29w charger.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
@val1984 well not the 2015 MBP :) (which I own now) - with lid closed, as soon as you disconnect the power it goes standby, even with external display connected (which is really annoying since MagSafe is easy to knock-out - I work with VPN a lot and when I disconnect magsafe for a few seconds all my connections go down...)

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
@val1984 well not the 2015 MBP :) (which I own now) - with lid closed, as soon as you disconnect the power it goes standby, even with external display connected (which is really annoying since MagSafe is easy to knock-out - I work with VPN a lot and when I disconnect magsafe for a few seconds all my connections go down...)
Really? I may be wrong but I am pretty sure the 2016 MBP continues to feed video via TB to an ATD even with no power supply... I am away from home and cannot check, however.

konnyaku

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
When you were charging did you find the 29 watt got pretty warm? I'm in same boat as you. I have a 29w I use to charge my iPad Pro when traveling and got a extra apple USB c cord to charge. Tested it at home and it charged fine but the box was pretty warm. I obviously don't want to damage my new 15" TB but would be very convenient to carry one charger for both. I only would use this to charge it back up at night.

I wouldn't worry about damaging your laptop by charging this way. USB-C power delivery is designed to be very flexible w/ voltages and wattages, it won't draw any more than it safely can from a cable or power adapter, including the 29w charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.