2D Dock in OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kolax, Oct 22, 2013.

1. kolax, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

kolax macrumors G3

I can no longer use the 2D dock in 10.9.

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

Doesn't work now!

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Unfortunately it hasn't worked since the first beta

3. Broojo02 macrumors member

Broojo02

That's a shame, the 2D dock was a lifesaver for me when I was experiencing system crashing glitches with the 3D dock in 10.8.1 - 10.8.4.

And it has good simple look to it for those who don't want frosted glass at the bottom of their screen.

4. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Oh good god. I just updated and searched on how to get my 2D dock back only to find this. Ugh, I can't deal with the 3D dock.

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ah that's a real shame. The 2D dock worked well for me. Took up less space, and was easier to see the icons.

6. l008com macrumors member

Yes I too very much prefer the 2D dock. I've been using it ever since 10.5, when the 3D dock came out. Back then, all the 3D stuff actually slowed down older Mac's GUIs. It would speed up the whole interface by switching it to 2D. But thats not an issue at all any more. What is an issue is that the 2D dock just looks better to me. And its always easier to see which apps are running in the 2D docks. I wish the 2D dock (the side dock) was still darker though. But more than that, I hope someone finds a way to make the bottom-of-the-screen dock 2D.

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i'd like that too...have a feeling someone will figure it out. the side dock is really nice, fits the overall OS better...

8. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I've always used either 2D or transparent dock as 3D was distracting. I hope there is a way to get rid of 3D look.

9. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Maybe Ive & Co. will get rid of the 3D effect in OS X 10.10, like they did in iOS 7?

10. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I'm sure they will. But seems daft to remove this option! There must be another way - it still exists for the side, and I'm sure we'll be able to edit the textures, like we could in previous versions, to make it black again.

I have hope!

11. tongteh macrumors 6502

I have hope +1, really annoyed about the 3D dock right now.

12. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Hoping they give us this option back.

----------

I don't know much about coding, but why can't someone just figure out a new terminal command for 10.9 that allows us to get this 2D dock back at the bottom?

13. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I was thinking that it could be due to the 2D dock having a glass effect now, therefore the "no-glass" command isn't going to work as the name of the bottom 3D dock has changed.

Its probably more complicated than that, though.

14. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I'm sure it is. However, it doesn't seem overly difficult for someone who knows UNIX code and the structure of OS X like the back of their hand.

15. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Well nothing to do with Unix code really, it's just Apple has changed the parameters/structure of the Dock - probably in anticipation for OS X 10.0 that will have an iOS 7 style dock - so the quick and easy way to get the 2D dock doesn't seem to be possible now.

3rd party dock utilities allow for a 2D dock again, but I don't want to pay someone money just to get a 2D dock.

16. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Can you point me to one? Also, I've heard these apps can make your system unstable. Is this true?

This is how I have my desktop set up. I need that 2D dock to make it complete. ;)

[​IMG]

17. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Change the location of the Dock to the left or right of screen, problem solved. You get more vertical screen real estate that way too.

18. w0lf, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

There is a way to get the old 2D dock on Mavericks.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdock/

Result [​IMG]

19. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I wonder: if Apple made a flat OS X, would we still see shadows? They're integral to OS X for telling current windows apart.

20. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Not what I asked, nor is it what I want. You don't think I'm already aware of this feature?

Cool! I'll check this out when I get home. Is it only in black or can you make it grey?

21. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

No need to be cheeky, I was simply offering a practical solution.

22. alksion, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I didn't meant to be rude. I apologize. However, this solution is not very practical for what I am looking to do.

----------

Bad link?

Edit: I found the link in the other thread that works okay. It's pretty coo! I just wish the apps didn't sit so high up and that it was all grey.

[​IMG]

23. w0lf, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Yeah there is no way to change the color. I'm pretty sure it's just the same as the pre-Mavericks 2D dock. The link doesn't seem to want to work so I changed the link.

Alternate option is:

1) Buy dockmod (or use trial)
    2) Make the dock transparent using dockmod
    3) Install GeekTool
    4) Make a background behind the dock
    5) Adjust color and transparency as you please

Obvious the background wont hide when the dock does. (might be possible with a script if there is away to check if the dock is currently hidden or not)

You can also make the dock look really similar to iOS 7 using this method.

results will look like this:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

Throw in Nocturne and you've basically got fully iOS7ified OSX Desktop

24. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Thanks for the reply. Why does the dock change back to default after a restart? Also, can you adjust the grey dock that you have so it doesn't stretch to the full screen?

25. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Because it needs to be injected again any time the dock is quit and relaunched.

You can just make an app using Automator that runs the applescript and add it to the startup items if you want to keep the 2D.

The background made using geektool is just a rectangular window with transparency behind the dock so it can be any size, color and transparency. You can also use pictures so it could be any shape you want as we'll assuming you make/find the background image of the shape you want.