2G Vs. 3G Vs. 3G S : Fight!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I did a rundown on all the specs on the three iPhone Models... So that everyone who thought that the jump from 3G to 3G S⃣ was minimal... :eek: Think Again! because if you notice there are fewer changes from 2G to 3G than the jump from 3G to 3G S⃣ !

What Do u All think??

P.S. correct me if I'm wrong in any spec! :D

NOTE: the info about the CPU/GPU/RAM was brought from early reports on the web.

Attached Files:

2. Nero3000 macrumors member

photo geotagging is in the 2g

EDIT: And if i reeally wanted to be picky here, a compass has nothing to do with your location, what good is knowing your direction without a beginning or an end.

3. tyranical macrumors regular

3GS has a 3.0mp camera not 3.2

*edit*

@ above edit, YOU are the beginning so it is location of sorts. It fits into that category better than any other and its integrated with google maps which is all about location too.

4. sananda macrumors 68020

Watchu talkin' bout, Willis?

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

6. outphase macrumors 65816

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There is a reason why I don't frequent this form very much.

But, in my humblest of opinion, I'd say the 50,000 additional apps is a fairly significant improvement, probably more so then Bluetooth 2.0 vs. 2.1.

And, I understand that that was really a firmware/software update, but let's face it. After the introduction of 3G, what people were paying attention to in that keynote was the Apps.

8. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout. ;)

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Why do I think this is going top be analogous to P-NIZ size? (BTW - as for Friday I will be incredibly well hung...actually probably overcompensating)

10. tyranical macrumors regular

The fact i will be sporting a specks candy shell case means not only will i be extremely well hung on friday, but i'll be able to slap you across the face with it safe in the thought that my phone will survive the colossal impact.

11. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

I'm not fussed for the iPhone 3.5G because it still has the same crappy design. The back that cracks and get scratched. The stupid stupid chrome bezel that gets mega scratched just by looking at it. Not to mention, light leaks and dust getting under the screen. I'll stick with my 3G with 3.0 software and wait until they improve the build quality.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Yeah, but with that thick of protection, surely you are going to lose some sensitivity (and yes - I'll call you Surely if I want to) :D

13. tyranical macrumors regular

With a "surely" comment like that, you've got to be english.

14. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

EDGE: AT&T's edge in theroy right now goes up to a max of 200kbps, but ATT it self says "t provides average data speeds between 75-135Kbps."

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/technology/edge.jsp

although Im not excited over 3g in the least, everyone's iphone here gets about 300k out of 3g, if were lucky were not booted to edge again! (petaluma ca)

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Nah - Just watched Airplane! for the umpteenth million time.

16. tyranical macrumors regular

surely not?

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There is no such thing as a 2G iPhone. The original iPhone did run on EDGE (2.75G) though. So I guess you could call it a 2.75G but 2G is old technology.;)

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Hardware-wise, yes. Real life-wise, depends. I heard its going to take until 2011 in order to fully roll-out 7.2Mbps HSDPA. Maybe the 2010 or 2011 iPhone will actually be able to benefit from this.

I can't wait to see the actual head-to-head performance tests!

19. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Theres said to be a scratch resistant coating on the back as well, and you can kinda see a difference in the backing when you see the leaked pictures. And I'm sure they've something to take care of the cracking. They don't have to say it.

20. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

Good chart... thanks for creating. Regardless, I will be buying. The 3.0MP camera and autofocus is enough for me. I don't even use the camera. Video straight to YouTube is another as like the camera, I never use video, nor do I go on YouTube much (never on my iPhone, only PC). Increased speed in the applications is a plus as well.

21. LEGALROMA macrumors member

What a joke. I have never gotten more than 1.2 mbps over the current network.

You guys are spec crazy and never and i mean never really talk about reality.

22. LEGALROMA macrumors member

I am really weary of these false specs, especially when you cannot get through a day without 5 dropped calls and a spinning 3g symbol on all apps that lasts forever.

I challenge anyone to show me over half the current spec speed.

23. sananda macrumors 68020

What network do you use?

I've never had a dropped call on o2.

24. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Did that chart really just call the SIM Eject Tool a feature? Its one step above a paper clip...

25. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Good then we agree as the hardware is the hardware, the 3G does not support 7.2 and the 3G S⃣ does...
    Bitching about real world download speeds is your prerogative however, we are discussing HARDWARE specs, learn the difference.

Again, you are arguing about bad service not hardware specs. Some providers do have good service, I would not include AT&T with that though.